We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:38 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
efficient security?

oxymornic
With our TSA-driven scheme, you're right. Not so much in Germany, Turkey and Israel.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
With our TSA-driven scheme, you're right. Not so much in Germany, Turkey and Israel.
I did not know you were a security expert. I thought you were an engineer.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:21 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I did not know you were a security expert. I thought you were an engineer.
I am an engineer, but I've traveled pretty extensively all over the world and have built a number of high security facilities, both here and abroad.

If you want a sense of how hosed up the TSA is, read this:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...on-102912.html
Old 01-31-2014, 12:57 PM
Jigsawed

Detroit underwear bomber gets life.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...ber/53115186/1
Old 01-31-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I am an engineer, but I've traveled pretty extensively all over the world and have built a number of high security facilities, both here and abroad.

so then the scanners demonstrate it is all not theater after all.

And building a security building is not the same as administrating a security system.

My take on all this is that some Americans are upset they have to go through the drill with the unwashed. The people that complain about the TSA are sort of like the officers back at the rear that do not spend time with the ground pounders in the field. "You mean I have to go through that too?'"

In other words we are so used to taking a plane that it is as common and mundane as taking the bus was in the 1950s...something that millions on this planet still can not do like we can. And on top that we have to whine about the TSA

I have flown many times since 2001..it is not that bad.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:08 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:

And building a security building is not the same as administrating a security system.

My take on all this is that some Americans are upset they have to go through the drill with the unwashed. The people that complain about the TSA are sort of like the officers back at the rear that do not spend time with the ground pounders in the field. "You mean I have to go through that too?'"

In other words we are so used to taking a plane that it is as common and mundane as taking the bus was in the 1950s...something that millions on this planet still can not do like we can. And on top that we have to whine about the TSA

Actually, before I retired, I build facilities for DOD and DOE, many of them security facilities. I worked directly with security people for nearly 30 years on a daily to weekly basis, here and abroad. If there is a generalization to be made about them, it's that they're mostly a humorless bunch who have have the luxury of concerning themselves exclusively with security at the expense of all else (e.g., cost, inconvenience). Moreover, they've had pretty much an unlimited budget since 9-11 and have shown time and again the ability to undertake much more than they should (lots of it for show), while missing the forest through the trees.

Next time you fly overseas, route yourself through JFK and go through customs and immigration there and report back. We flew back through there in May coming back from Istanbul and had a 3.5 hour layover. We barely made our connecting flight after about a 1.5 hour wait at both immigration and customs. Feckin' dreadful.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:30 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:

That's excellent, thanks.

Pete
Old 01-31-2014, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:

Not that bad? Well TSA is just the start. As you all get used to it they will add more checkpoints. There turning a whole generation into being comfortable in frisking.

Is bend over a cough enough for you?
Old 01-31-2014, 07:17 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
They are not doing this to everyone. It is RARE...means they had some intel on this guy.

Often we wring our hands when the bad guys get through and do serious damage - Why didn't they do this; Why didn't they do that? - They should all be fired!
That's your assumption. You have no idea why they singled him out.

There are ridiculous extremes we could go to in the name of 'someting awful could happen.' A reasonable line must be drawn, or we'll be in a police state.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
That's your assumption. You have no idea why they singled him out.

There are ridiculous extremes we could go to in the name of 'someting awful could happen.' A reasonable line must be drawn, or we'll be in a police state.
yeah a police state where you can get an ar-15 as easy as buying a pizza

give me a break