Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:15 PM

I'd like to make up a sign to toot at & show these idjits yakkin' away as they go 70-75 down the road, "HANG UP THE GODDAM PHONE & DRIVE, JACKASS !" but down here, that'd be a good way to get shot...(grin)
Old 09-30-2009, 03:17 PM

I bet 90% of my cellphone use is while driving. It just makes sense to me, to use the time that would otherwise be wasted. I have a fold down center seat too, so I often do a little paperwork as well, as long as it's nothing too involved. IMO, if you can't drive and talk on a cellphone at the same time, you probably shouldn't be driving in the first place. Of course I drive a 3/4 ton Chevy truck with the biggest V8 they still sell in front of me, so I may feel somewhat more comfortable than folks in smaller cars.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Resident octogenarian

TD if you were all alone on the road I would say go for it, but you are not. Safe driving takes 100% of your attention simply because there are idiots on the road who are not devoting 100% of their attention to the task.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
I bet 90% of my cellphone use is while driving. It just makes sense to me, to use the time that would otherwise be wasted. I have a fold down center seat too, so I often do a little paperwork as well, as long as it's nothing too involved. IMO, if you can't drive and talk on a cellphone at the same time, you probably shouldn't be driving in the first place. Of course I drive a 3/4 ton Chevy truck with the biggest V8 they still sell in front of me, so I may feel somewhat more comfortable than folks in smaller cars.
What if I said "hey, I can drive just fine when I'm drunk. I don't see why that should be illegal". I'm sure I could find someone who has driven while legally drunk time and again without ever having an accident. That would be "evidence" just as strong as yours.

So should drunk driving be legal? I don't see anything in the Constitution that says I can't drink and drive.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:51 AM

I don't see any problem with someone having a good beer buzz and driving. Now if the guy is fallin down whisky drunk, no, he shouldn't drive, and should have his ass busted good if he tries to. FWIW, I drove for years while being a half gallon of whisky a day drunk, with no accidents or DWIs. Just sayin.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
I don't see any problem with someone having a good beer buzz and driving. Now if the guy is fallin down whisky drunk, no, he shouldn't drive, and should have his ass busted good if he tries to. FWIW, I drove for years while being a half gallon of whisky a day drunk, with no accidents or DWIs. Just sayin.
I am not advocating drunk driving but agree, I think folks have gotten overzealous in what the legal limit is.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Damn, you wiped out a half gallon of whiskey a day...no wonder you took the pledge. I never could drink much over a pint a day without waking up feeling pretty rugged.

Went to a Sons of Confederate Veterans dinner once, after which we proceeded to the whiskey bar. Must have drank better than a quart of gin that nite...that one put me on the wagon for three months.

I don't have a problem with DWI laws, but it would be only fair if you had to be drunk before they could run you in. The uplifters have set the bar a little low.

Chas
Old 10-01-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Damn, you wiped out a half gallon of whiskey a day...no wonder you took the pledge. I never could drink much over a pint a day without waking up feeling pretty rugged.

Went to a Sons of Confederate Veterans dinner once, after which we proceeded to the whiskey bar. Must have drank better than a quart of gin that nite...that one put me on the wagon for three months.

I don't have a problem with DWI laws, but it would be only fair if you had to be drunk before they could run you in. The uplifters have set the bar a little low.

Chas
Yeh, there towards the end, I could only manage about 4 hours without a drink. I'd go to bed drunk at 8, then wake up at midnight with the shakes and pour a rocks glass or two full and sit on the toilet and drink it. Back to bed, and wake up at 4 to "get ready" for work. That was two ice tea glasses full while watching bonanza and gunsmoke. In the truck with my quick trip foam coffee cup full, and the jug behind the seat. I used to think about all those people on the road that actually had coffee in their cups. I felt mighty alone. I'd drink steady all day at work, then stop on the way home and grab a half gallon of CC (20.51). Once home I'd fire up the boat and troll and drink till supper time, then a nigtcap and off to bed. I finally lost my job, sunk the boat, and ran out of money. The worst part was sitting in a parking lot waiting for the liqour store to open and counting out change for a pint. Good times
Old 10-01-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Yeh, there towards the end, I could only manage about 4 hours without a drink. I'd go to bed drunk at 8, then wake up at midnight with the shakes and pour a rocks glass or two full and sit on the toilet and drink it. Back to bed, and wake up at 4 to "get ready" for work. That was two ice tea glasses full while watching bonanza and gunsmoke. In the truck with my quick trip foam coffee cup full, and the jug behind the seat. I used to think about all those people on the road that actually had coffee in their cups. I felt mighty alone. I'd drink steady all day at work, then stop on the way home and grab a half gallon of CC (20.51). Once home I'd fire up the boat and troll and drink till supper time, then a nigtcap and off to bed. I finally lost my job, sunk the boat, and ran out of money. The worst part was sitting in a parking lot waiting for the liqour store to open and counting out change for a pint. Good times
Tell you what, TD, I'm sure glad you got yourself straightened out. I got pretty bad back in the early eighties, I was an alcoholic, so was my partner, the contractor who we did most of our work for, my landlord...who owned a beer joint, and pretty much everyone I knew. But we were beer drunks, it's easier to drink yourself sober with whiskey.

I've slowed down a bunch in my old age, I get tired of it. Even quit for five years once. Should probably do so again...demon alcohol has a power effect on one.

Chas
Old 10-01-2009, 05:31 PM

Yep, I started on the straight whisky when I gave up the heroin. Once again I had lost everything and was broke. I had a 400 dollar a day habit, and two credit cards maxed out at 20k each. The Missus was mighty proud of her man, let me tell ya. I think the whisky was more painful to quit than the heroin. I finally went in the hospital and had a chemical de-tox for the booze. Basically stoned on librium for three days while the alcohol leaves the body. Hell, I don't miss any of that shit now, but I don't think I'd change anything. Going through the hard stuff, sort of made me who I am today, and I'm good with that.