Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

The German view of the US health care debate

From der Spiegel:

As the United States Supreme Court considers whether requiring people to have health insurance is unconstitutional, Germans are bewildered as to why so many Americans appear to be against universal coverage.

They also question the continued portrayal of US President Barack Obama and his health reform backers as soci@lists and communists, noting that healthcare was introduced in Germany in the 19th century by Otto von Bismarck, who was definitely not a leftist, and is supported by conservative and pro-business politicians today.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-832002.html

I think the right wing boogieman has unfortunately succeeded at painting mandatory coverage as something it's not.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Resident octogenarian

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...QOU_story.html

Just a bit embarassing doncha think.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Area Man

Of course the world is outpacing us.

They don't have the baggage we lug around.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:48 AM

I still don't understand the arguments against universal or single payer coverage. The only reason I can think of other then companies not wanting to offer coverage. Is the people against coverage are afraid they will pay more then now. My guess is that most of then are getting their coverage for free or very cheap now.

My brother n Law just spent 12 hours in the hospital with zero insurance. The bill was 10k+ . But because of no assets and works for himself they cut the bill 50%. He is in the "keep the government out of my healthcare camp".

Barney
Old 05-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
I still don't understand the arguments against universal or single payer coverage. The only reason I can think of other then companies not wanting to offer coverage. Is the people against coverage are afraid they will pay more then now. My guess is that most of then are getting their coverage for free or very cheap now.

My brother n Law just spent 12 hours in the hospital with zero insurance. The bill was 10k+ . But because of no assets and works for himself they cut the bill 50%. He is in the "keep the government out of my healthcare camp".

Barney
I trust that he realizes if the government had not mandated that hospitals must treat indigent patients they might well have told him to get lost.

One thing that everyone has forgotten, if the Roberts court says the government cannot make you buy insurance the hospitals will state that the mandate stating they must treat people regardless of ability to pay is also invalid.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 AM

Americans who oppose the health bill just do not understand that they are cutting off their nose to spite their face. If everyone pays for coverage the price should go down.
On one hand you have people without insurance who have to be treated at emergency rooms thus forcing everyone else's (those who have and can afford health care) premiums way up. Then on the other hand you have active opposition (by many who are covered by Medicare, who do not want their socalized medicine taken away).
The Republicans if they gain power will just punt the football down the pike and things will only get worse. The individual mandate is a Republican idea if I am not mistaken. I guess it does not matter. I mean it must be easy for politicians too pander to people who probably were not listening during civics class....who do not even fathom what we in Political chat are even talking about.
New Deal Square Deal Great Society .....probably most people do not even know where their monthly check or Medicare came from...would not even know what LBJ means if you asked them.
People like Ryan know this....we do not want what happened in Bell California happening on a national level....
Old 05-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Resident octogenarian

Well I guess after that last few days I will finally be getting more than a flu shot for my $98.60 per month; 2 ultrasound scans, two blood tests, one MRI, and an appointment Friday with an orthopedic surgeon.

Doc just called and says get the MRI pictures and go see this ortho guy, Baker's cyst to be drained and cortisone shot in the knee joint.

Ah yes, the golden years are here at last, the golden years can kiss my ....

The only good thing is he says he does not see me often enough but that is probably because I am so darned healthy.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
People like Ryan know this....we do not want what happened in Bell California happening on a national level....
Sadly, I believe that is exactly the type of government we have in congress. At least in California it looks like the execs at the City of Bell are getting prosecuted. Fat chance of ever stopping the corruption at the national level though, seein' as how they're writing the playbook and control the checkbook.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
and control the checkbook.
Don't you mean credit card?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
Don't you mean credit card?
Yeah, credit card~postdated check same difference. You agree with the rest of my post? Wow! I guess i'm not all that I'm wacked up to be...