Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
Yeh, there towards the end, I could only manage about 4 hours without a drink. I'd go to bed drunk at 8, then wake up at midnight with the shakes and pour a rocks glass or two full and sit on the toilet and drink it. Back to bed, and wake up at 4 to "get ready" for work. That was two ice tea glasses full while watching bonanza and gunsmoke. In the truck with my quick trip foam coffee cup full, and the jug behind the seat. I used to think about all those people on the road that actually had coffee in their cups. I felt mighty alone. I'd drink steady all day at work, then stop on the way home and grab a half gallon of CC (20.51). Once home I'd fire up the boat and troll and drink till supper time, then a nigtcap and off to bed. I finally lost my job, sunk the boat, and ran out of money. The worst part was sitting in a parking lot waiting for the liqour store to open and counting out change for a pint. Good times
Man. I'd be interested in hearing how you got past that. You're a strong man.

Just to be clear, I'm 100% serious. Not jabbing or being sarcastic.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Yeh, there towards the end, I could only manage about 4 hours without a drink. I'd go to bed drunk at 8, then wake up at midnight with the shakes and pour a rocks glass or two full and sit on the toilet and drink it. Back to bed, and wake up at 4 to "get ready" for work. That was two ice tea glasses full while watching bonanza and gunsmoke. In the truck with my quick trip foam coffee cup full, and the jug behind the seat. I used to think about all those people on the road that actually had coffee in their cups. I felt mighty alone. I'd drink steady all day at work, then stop on the way home and grab a half gallon of CC (20.51). Once home I'd fire up the boat and troll and drink till supper time, then a nigtcap and off to bed. I finally lost my job, sunk the boat, and ran out of money. The worst part was sitting in a parking lot waiting for the liqour store to open and counting out change for a pint. Good times

I just wanted to say how very proud you should be. You fought and won...although I know it can STILL be an issue. I never liked alcohol but I was a 1 1/2 pack smoker. I wound up in a hospital in 2000 with heart issues. I was kept the night and shared a room with a woman who had emphysema. We talked and she kept telling me to quit or it would kill me. Well...during the night her monitor went off. The staff came rushing to ME with a crash cart (thinking it was me). She died that night. I never took another cigarette.
It took a long time for me to not crave them and I must admit...I LOVE entering a room where smokers are puffing. Crazy...huh?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:29 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Damn TD, that's a tale for sure. Both my parents and an older brother liked the sauce too. I picked up their habits early in high school. Most of my friends used the nickname "Sot" to call me. A fifth of vodka Friday night, a fifth of vodka Saturday night, and beer all day Sunday to "recover". Needless to say, I don't remember a lot about high school. I was drafted in '69 so Uncle Sugar put brakes on the drinking, but I didn't stop entirely. I have a much healthier attitude about it now and I am glad you have adjusted yourself too. It takes courage to tell a story like yours and I thank you for it.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Man. I'd be interested in hearing how you got past that. You're a strong man.

Just to be clear, I'm 100% serious. Not jabbing or being sarcastic.
Actually being strong is what kept me in trouble for so long. Once I surrendered, and just "gave up" things became quite manageable. That's another pretty good story right there, but I'll save it for another day.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Actually being strong is what kept me in trouble for so long. Once I surrendered, and just "gave up" things became quite manageable. That's another pretty good story right there, but I'll save it for another day.
which day?

I would like to hear it.

My hunch is we could all learn from it.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
It took a long time for me to not crave them and I must admit...I LOVE entering a room where smokers are puffing. Crazy...huh?

Welcome to the club.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Resident octogenarian

Some may think the bar is too low, all I know is that we kill an awful lot of teenagers on the roads here, and 99% involve alcohol.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Some may think the bar is too low, all I know is that we kill an awful lot of teenagers on the roads here, and 99% involve alcohol.
when researching your post I found some interesting stuff:

RECKLESS DRIVING CAUSES TEEN DEATHS

teens have the lowest rate of seat belt use.

Teens are more likely than older drivers to underestimate dangerous situations or not be able to recognize hazardous situations.

Teens are more likely than older drivers to speed and allow shorter headways

three out of four teen drivers killed in motor vehicle crashes after drinking and driving were not wearing a seat belt

twenty-three percent of teenage drivers in fatal car wrecks possessed a blood-alcohol level above the legal limit of .08.

I found no info on what % of fatal accidents is alcohol related in adults but I am guesing it is very similar.