Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

The Guns at Last Light, the third book of the WWII trilogy by Rick Atkinson.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Area Man

"Brave New World"---Aldous Huxley

And, then I caught the "Through the Wormhole" about genetic engineering.........

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 06-30-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Admin

'The Tigers Of Bastogne', a collection of firsthand accounts by members of the 10th AD, 3rd Army who fought in Bastogne, Belgium in WWII.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:08 PM

Speaking of the military, Jim Webb...the ex-senator from Virgina, wrote some kick ass novels about his experiences in the Naval Academy and US Marines during the Vietnam War era. Webb's Fields of Fire is probably the best novel about Vietnam, along with Greene's The Quiet American.

Last edited by icenine; 06-30-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:59 PM
Area Man

Jim Webb is "alright" as a politician, albeit a bit of a fence-sitter. I never read his books, however.

Dave
Old 06-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Speaking of the military, Jim Webb...the ex-senator from Virgina, wrote some kick ass novels about his experiences in the Naval Academy and US Marines during the Vietnam War era. Webb's Fields of Fire is probably the best novel about Vietnam, along with Greene's The Quiet American.
Fields of Fire was indeed a very good read. As a politician, I liked him along with most of the other nationally known moderates from Virginia (e.g., John Warner). The hard Right in Virginia is about as screwy as any in the nation, however.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
"Brave New World"---Aldous Huxley

And, then I caught the "Through the Wormhole" about genetic engineering.........

Dave
This book is getting very interesting. Think of drugs such as Xanax, Zoloft, Abilify and all of the manifold anti-depressants and psychoactive pharmaceuticals dispensed in the United States, every single day.............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_antidepressants

When I went through depression therapy, they pushed the drugs at me relentlessly. I refused.
I have a friend who went through the same thing, but took the "medications". He hated it, because he said he would rather have to deal with pain and struggle to control his own emotions than become an "apathetic, giggling idiot". It made him feel, "...something less than human.". He also said the experience changed the way he looks at things....whatever that means. I can tell you this; he USED to be hard right. He has a lot less use for organized religion and the Neocon movement these days...............................since he let his prescriptions run out.

Maybe Huxleys vision has come to be?

Dave
Old 06-30-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Fields of Fire was indeed a very good read. As a politician, I liked him along with most of the other nationally known moderates from Virginia (e.g., John Warner). The hard Right in Virginia is about as screwy as any in the nation, however.
A Sense of Honor was good too although the affirmation of hazing at the Academy probably does not stand up as well as the author intended it to do when he wrote the book

I also really liked A Country Such As This.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
A Sense of Honor was good too although the affirmation of hazing at the Academy probably does not stand up as well as the author intended it to do when he wrote the book

I also really liked A Country Such As This.
Did you go to Annapolis, Robbin? I learned to waterski on the South River.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
You aint nevah lied, 'bout dat!

There was a guy in the local grocery store screaming out Bible verses, anti-SCOTUS, anti-Obama & anti-government swill yesterday. They asked him to either quiet down or leave. Which just meant he grew even louder and alledged that Farm Fresh is now part of the "conspiracy"..............

Idiot.

Dave