Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:16 AM
Banned

On the new tax law...

The architect of the Reagan tax cut stimulus, which is the basis for almost 4 decades of this Republican tax cutting philosiphy was Paul Krugman. A long time ago Krugman advised that the Reagan cut was recognized at the time as a short term intervention only, designed only to pull the country out of the recession of those years. Krugman made it clear then and continues to reaffirm it now, that any economic growth realized would never been enough to balance out the reduction in revenue and the increasing debt in the long term. But the GOP realized way back during the Reagan days that lowering taxes was going to be their primary long-term political vote whoring strategy. And it has worked pretty well for them because...

More than anything, the American people are a herd of stupid fucking pre-adolescents who want what they want, want it right now, and want somebody else to pay for it.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:50 AM

I agree tax cuts are a long term republican strategy just as dividing the american people and fomenting hate, intolerance and bigotry among americans is a long term republican strategy.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:28 AM

Blue states may get their revenge for the GOP tax bill

Quote:
All those taxpayers in high-tax states or with high property bills can blame President Trump and their GOP members of Congress for their tax headaches. Republicans figured that it would be clever to stick it to blue-state residents who have had the advantage of itemizing (with ample use of the SALT deduction). Never before has such a pointedly partisan tax bill been cooked up to punish people who generally don’t vote for the party in power. Heritage Foundation economist Stephen Moore, who worked strenuously for the bill, stupidly wisecracked that the bill was “death to Democrats.” (Odd for a scholar from a tax-exempt think tank to extol such base partisanship, isn’t it?). Others noticed as well. (Jonathan Chait remarked, “For eight years, the notion of a gangster government using its power to punish its enemies existed as a lurid persecution fantasy on the right. Now it is being touted as a governing blueprint.”)

But here’s the rub: In addition to congressmen who represent enclaves with an unusually large number of constituents who itemize (like endangered Virginia Republican Rep. Barbara Comstock), there are 14 (three voted against it) Republican House members from California, five (four voted against it) from New Jersey, nine from New York (five voted against it), three from Minnesota, five from Wisconsin and three from Iowa (all are among the highest tax states). Voters might decide to vote each and every one of them out of office. (Even those who voted against it voted for the party leadership that imposed the tax bill. Change the party of the representative, and the majority for the wallet-busting bill disappears.)

It might just be that the partisan design of the tax bill wasn’t clever in the least. To paraphrase Moore, the tax bill might turn out to be “death to the GOP majority.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.a3eae665dda7

Old 12-28-2017, 11:56 AM

The people in my district keep sending Calvert back over and over again I doubt they will make the connection between him and their lowered deductions.

This is a weapon to make citizens turn against progressive stage governments like ours.

It won't work. I pay a lot in taxes. But then California paid for my daughters college tuition because I am a veteran. That's worth it to me.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
The people in my district keep sending Calvert back over and over again I doubt they will make the connection between him and their lowered deductions.

This is a weapon to make citizens turn against progressive stage governments like ours.

It won't work. I pay a lot in taxes. But then California paid for my daughters college tuition because I am a veteran. That's worth it to me.
Especially since the changes in the tax law will not take effect till next year and realistically people will not realize the impact till early 2019. Where is the OMB report on the new Trump's 1% reform?
Old 12-28-2017, 09:16 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
The architect of the Reagan tax cut stimulus, which is the basis for almost 4 decades of this Republican tax cutting philosiphy was Paul Krugman. A long time ago Krugman advised that the Reagan cut was recognized at the time as a short term intervention only, designed only to pull the country out of the recession of those years. Krugman made it clear then and continues to reaffirm it now, that any economic growth realized would never been enough to balance out the reduction in revenue and the increasing debt in the long term. But the GOP realized way back during the Reagan days that lowering taxes was going to be their primary long-term political vote whoring strategy. And it has worked pretty well for them because...

More than anything, the American people are a herd of stupid fucking pre-adolescents who want what they want, want it right now, and want somebody else to pay for it.
My Sister; "Our president is a total jackass.".
Me; "Yes, he is."
Sis; "No way this idiot gets re-elected."
Me: "Sure he will."
Sis; "How?!"
Me; "Because he talked shit about Hillary and Obama and gave them a tax cut. Never mind that it might be small and temporary, if they get anything at all. They'll think he gave them one and they'll love him for it. If he should plunge the planet into WW3 and half of their kids end up dead, maimed or insane in that conflict, they will still love him because they'll remember that extra six bucks in their paycheck and his 'heartfelt love' for the dead veterans......and the smug bastard knows it.".

Sound about right, Fellas?
Old 12-28-2017, 09:19 PM
Area Man

Watch "Catch 22" again.

Trump is Milo.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
My Sister; "Our president is a total jackass.".
Me; "Yes, he is."
Sis; "No way this idiot gets re-elected."
Me: "Sure he will."
Sis; "How?!"
Me; "Because he talked shit about Hillary and Obama and gave them a tax cut. Never mind that it might be small and temporary, if they get anything at all. They'll think he gave them one and they'll love him for it. If he should plunge the planet into WW3 and half of their kids end up dead, maimed or insane in that conflict, they will still love him because they'll remember that extra six bucks in their paycheck and his 'heartfelt love' for the dead veterans......and the smug bastard knows it.".

Sound about right, Fellas?
God I hope you are wrong, but the degree of stupidity in our country means I would never bet against you regarding this concern....
Old 12-30-2017, 08:19 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68custom View Post
God I hope you are wrong, but the degree of stupidity in our country means I would never bet against you regarding this concern....
Me too.