Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-19-2020, 12:24 PM

The funding of schools by property taxes may be the root of the inequality of class rooms.
Well to do areas have more to draw from. A combining of funds or some other way of collecting support is needed.

Throwing money without a solution to equality will not fix the problem. I never owned a slave or had past family members involved. Looking at it that way still does not fix the problem with the distribution of wealth. The old give a hand up not a hand out seems to be a solution that all should agree with.
Unless it is competition that make one afraid. Afraid with competition you may well suffer.
Equality is OK as long as you still win way of thinking?
If equality is obtained there will be those who loose and those who gain. The solution needs to as fair and understanding.
To try and make everybody win something.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:29 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
Not according to Webster.
You were referencing a factor impacting sound reinforcement decision?

Added bold to the your post I quoted. Hope this helps clear up your confusion.

Last edited by nailer; 06-19-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:29 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
Or in increase in the marginal tax rate on the extremely wealthy?
I first thought of saying 'Absolutely,' but a setup like we had, say, 10 years ago might be advantageous. The tilt to the rich now is altogether too extreme, but with a little less of one, we can look at it as a national savings program--provided we go back and do a redistribution program every 20 years or so, before the thing gets too out of hand....

Nah, I don't think I'm serious. Too much of the money means the rich have too much of the power. Very dangerous for democracy--we are far from out of the woods right now. IF we can manage it, it's back to the early 50's marginal tax rates and robust inheritance taxes.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:37 PM

I agree that when the country's tax rate was higher it seemed lifestyles were better. This trickle down method not working out so well as a whole.
Works great if at the top. Not much reaching the bottom let alone the middle....
Old 06-19-2020, 12:42 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
The funding of schools by property taxes may be the root of the inequality of class rooms.
Well to do areas have more to draw from. A combining of funds or some other way of collecting support is needed.

Throwing money without a solution to equality will not fix the problem. I never owned a slave or had past family members involved. Looking at it that way still does not fix the problem with the distribution of wealth. The old give a hand up not a hand out seems to be a solution that all should agree with.
Unless it is competition that make one afraid. Afraid with competition you may well suffer.
Equality is OK as long as you still win way of thinking?
If equality is obtained there will be those who loose and those who gain. The solution needs to as fair and understanding.
To try and make everybody win something.
Programs to address racial bias should be aimed at giving NO ONE a material advantage for being a certain race. Robust and pervasive laws against economic discrimination in any context should be enforced. People get onboard with racial animosity mainly because they benefit economically and socially by discrimination.

There's an exercise that is done sometimes by equality lecturers--they will ask a White audience to raise their hand if they'd be will to change and be Black in our society. Generally they get exactly zero hands. This means everyone KNOWS Blacks are disadvantaged, however else they feel about things.

I'd like to find a way to get to maybe half the hands going up.

Redistribution of wealth, in a race-neutral manner, is not really a racial equality thing. I just tangented to it since reparations are generally seen as wealth redistribution targeted to Blacks and others.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Programs to address racial bias should be aimed at giving NO ONE a material advantage for being a certain race. Robust and pervasive laws against economic discrimination in any context should be enforced. People get onboard with racial animosity mainly because they benefit economically and socially by discrimination.

There's an exercise that is done sometimes by equality lecturers--they will ask a White audience to raise their hand if they'd be will to change and be Black in our society. Generally they get exactly zero hands. This means everyone KNOWS Blacks are disadvantaged, however else they feel about things.

I'd like to find a way to get to maybe half the hands going up.

Redistribution of wealth, in a race-neutral manner, is not really a racial equality thing. I just tangented to it since reparations are generally seen as wealth redistribution targeted to Blacks and others.
Ask the men how many would rather be women, and the women how many would rather be men. Youll get a similar response. It's not that they don't want to be black. It's that they like who they are and they have spent their entire life adapting to who they are.

Half the hands going up shows strong dissatisfaction in half of the lives if they want something else.

And the people I've known don't get onboard with racial animosity mainly because they benefit economically and socially by discrimination. Rather, they see a certain race constantly acting up on television and in youtube videos and wonder, "is there something fundamentally wrong with these people?"

Dead serious.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
Ask the men how many would rather be women, and the women how many would rather be men. Youll get a similar response. It's not that they don't want to be black. It's that they like who they are and they have spent their entire life adapting to who they are.

Half the hands going up shows strong dissatisfaction in half of the lives if they want something else.

And the people I've known don't get onboard with racial animosity mainly because they benefit economically and socially by discrimination. Rather, they see a certain race constantly acting up on television and in youtube videos and wonder, "is there something fundamentally wrong with these people?"

Dead serious.
Therein lies the root of the problem.
Seeing it only as "these people"!

We need to move beyond us and them, to a simple us!
Old 06-19-2020, 01:22 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Therein lies the root of the problem.
Seeing it only as "these people"!

We need to move beyond us and them, to a simple us!
Don't hold your breath. The us/them dynamic is genetic and it's in the code of many other species.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:31 PM

This country is willing to and does give support to other countries yearly. To help with their needs with tax payer funds and surplus food.
What about our citizens?
This lift yourself up from the boot straps all sounds good. Just what is available for the youth in the inner cities or Indian Reservations for a couple of examples. The singling out of just one group to help will not fix the problems of inequality or unequal advantages.
Rather giving a real choice, a chance at improving one lot in life.
Education an opportunities!
Old 06-19-2020, 01:35 PM
reflexionar

There are infinite areas that can be addressed, but where does one start and end?
You can say blacks are disadvantaged because of where they live, but how do you resolve that? Is it better for them to try and better themselves and move or stay and try to better the neighborhood? There are many who have sacrificed their own potential and stayed to try and better the lives of the local kids. They've helped a few kids rise up and make their way out of the neighborhood, but I don't think they have changed the culture a whole lot.

If they could get a decent education they can get scholarships and go to college like anyone else, but even with money for schools it is hard to focus on school when the whole community is run by gangs and thugs. Many fathers in prison, not just because of racial bias, but also because of gang indoctrination and drug addiction makes it hard to focus on school when you are trying to take care of your home and family at the same time. A lot of money and many people smarter than me have been thrown at this situation and it still exists to a heavy degree in many black communities today. What is the answer? Housing is so expensive in nearby areas that they can't move close, even middle class people can't afford to buy a house. I think that if a lot of them could just get a glimmer of confidence that they may possibly be able to have even a small part of "the American dream" they may actually strive for it, but I believe most of them are convinced it is impossible so why go through the effort.

I am sure there is an answer, but I don't even know where to begin.