Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:43 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
And make a lot of enemies on your own team. FWIW, Pistol Pete came from the same hometown of my best buddy (Aliquippa, PA) when I lived in New Orleans and Maravich played there for the NO Jazz. I met him a couple of times and he was very much a prick.
Coaches sons generally are.

Especially the ones that get to shoot the ball all the time in spite of missing over half their shots. I never did see the appeal of Pistol Pete.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
You'd think after his latest EO debacle, your Trumpenfuhrer would pursue a solution with Congressional and cabinet input, gather information, have hearings/debate, and put in the form of a law. Doing this stuff by EO will only result in him screwing things up worse than they are now. You'd think your Trumpenfuhrer would realize how clueless he, Bannon and Miller are in the ways of governance and building consensus. You may like a clueless authoritarian. I'm not so impressed.
Agencies that report to the Prez are not currently enforcing the law. The last "EO debacle" not withstanding - nothing wrong with the EO itself though one can certainly argue with how it was implemented - your hero Obama certainly found a way to use a pen and a phone to circumvent Congress. So wahtcha bitching about? You didn't seem to mind the other clueless authoritarian's - Obama's - use of the EO, so I guess its just the fact that Trump is doing it that bugs ya?

Obama actually tried to use an EO to change the laws on immigration. Trump wants to enforce existing law. Sounds like Obama was more of an authoritarian on immigration than Trump has been so far.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:18 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Agencies that report to the Prez are not currently enforcing the law. The last "EO debacle" not withstanding - nothing wrong with the EO itself though one can certainly argue with how it was implemented - your hero Obama certainly found a way to use a pen and a phone to circumvent Congress. So wahtcha bitching about? You didn't seem to mind the other clueless authoritarian's - Obama's - use of the EO, so I guess its just the fact that Trump is doing it that bugs ya?

Obama actually tried to use an EO to change the laws on immigration. Trump wants to enforce existing law. Sounds like Obama was more of an authoritarian on immigration than Trump has been so far.
I guess I'm having a hard time with der Trumpenfuhrer and President Bannon maliciously and cruelly fucking with peoples' lives just because they can without taking time to think things through. I'm all for enforcing immigration law (Obama wasn't exactly a slouch when it came to deporting people), but a quickly spewed EO from Trump/Bannon/Miller will again be a clusterf*ck. You need intelligent, experienced people working on these matters, not rookies (Miller) or a self-proclaimed Leninist who said he wanted to destroy the state. Unless and until Trump dumps Bannon and Miller, I will never respect or support him. Anyone who supports or tolerates these guys has lost his soul (that goes for both Trump and his supporters).

Last edited by finnbow; 01-31-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:34 PM
Area Man

Quote:
You'd think after his latest EO debacle, your Trumpenfuhrer would pursue a solution with Congressional and cabinet input, gather information, have hearings/debate, and put in the form of a law. Doing this stuff by EO will only result in him screwing things up worse than they are now. You'd think your Trumpenfuhrer would realize how clueless he, Bannon and Miller are in the ways of governance and building consensus. You may like a clueless authoritarian. I'm not so impressed.
Well stated and I concur.

They bitched ad nausea about Obamas EOs, but Trump has been pumping them out like candy from a Pez dispenser in grandstanding fashion.......and that's alright.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Well stated and I concur.

They bitched ad nausea about Obamas EOs, but Trump has been pumping them out like candy from a Pez dispenser in grandstanding fashion.......and that's alright.
It was never about the "number of EO's" that were being used. It was about Obama's stated intent to use "a pen and a phone" to "act when Congress would not", and then use EO's to circumvent Congressional authority.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I guess I'm having a hard time with der Trumpenfuhrer and President Bannon maliciously and cruelly fucking with peoples' lives just because they can without taking time to think things through.
Oh, fer crying out loud. Get over it. Government does this every day of the week, several times a day. Can you say Obamacare, for instance? Remember folks getting their medical insurance policies cancelled - policies they liked and wanted to renew because they actually liked them and wanted to keep them? Remember the individuals getting 20, 30, 40, 50 or 60 percent renewals because the ACA introduced age - banded premiums? Remember spending a billion dollars to create a web site that didn't work and creating mass frustration with individuals try to use it, and them spending even more money and bringing in outside contractors to fix?

Obama and the Dems did this because they wanted "fix" the insurance markets, had more than a year to debate this and "think it through" and they still created a damn mess in the process that still exists today. So spare me your whiney selective indignation about a relative inconvenience created for some individuals, which has not largely been rectified.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:56 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
It was never about the "number of EO's" that were being used. It was about Obama's stated intent to use "a pen and a phone" to "act when Congress would not", and then use EO's to circumvent Congressional authority.
It was indeed unsightly to watch, but resulted from McConnell deciding to obstruct every single thing Obama did, even things that the GOP had long since advocated for. He was understandably frustrated and decided to push the envelope after years of unwarranted and unprincipled obstruction.

Your Trumpenfuhrer started right out of the box with a seriously flawed EO written by a 31 year-old rookie without even consulting the 3 confirmed national security cabinet heads, nor attempting to do anything with Congress. Had Trump decided to make a push in Congress for comprehensive immigration reform or improved vetting, he would have had a willing Congress.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:04 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Oh, fer crying out loud. Get over it. Government does this every day of the week, several times a day. Can you say Obamacare, for instance? Remember folks getting their medical insurance policies cancelled - policies they liked and wanted to renew because they actually liked them and wanted to keep them? Remember the individuals getting 20, 30, 40, 50 or 60 percent renewals because the ACA introduced age - banded premiums? Remember spending a billion dollars to create a web site that didn't work and creating mass frustration with individuals try to use it, and them spending even more money and bringing in outside contractors to fix?

Obama and the Dems did this because they wanted "fix" the insurance markets, had more than a year to debate this and "think it through" and they still created a damn mess in the process that still exists today. So spare me your whiney selective indignation about a relative inconvenience created for some individuals, which has not largely been rectified.
The Congressional GOP delegation had the opportunity to offer input to their own RomneyCare/HeritageFoundationCare and chose not to during Congressional deliberations on Obamacare. That notwithstanding, Obamacare went through the legislative process, got the necessary votes and it was signed into law. It wasn't developed on the back of an envelope by a single 31 year old without consulting with anyone else. With Obamacare the GOP has had years to introduce tweaks to Obamacare in Congress and help improve it (as they were encouraged by Obama to do). Instead, they cast meaningless "repeal and replace" votes and it has now been clearly revealed by a hidden microphone in Philadelphia that they've never had a replacement plan and still don't.

Lastly, it's ridiculous to compare a law intended to extend healthcare to the uninsured (a largely realized goal, BTW) with an unvetted EO seemingly designed solely just to maliciously fuck with (already vetted and desperate) refugees and immigrants, not to mention green card holders. The former effort showed President Obama's humanity, the latter showed President Trump's lack thereof.

Last edited by finnbow; 02-01-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:13 AM
Jigsawed

Trump's smooth prime time presentation of his supreme court nominee seems to have knocked the messy suspension travel ban off the media screens.

Appears to have recovered his stride quickly.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Trump's smooth prime time presentation of his supreme court nominee seems to have knocked the messy suspension travel ban off the media screens.

Appears to have recovered his stride quickly.
He'll step on his dork once again very soon. Count on it.