Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:20 AM

Polar migration is continuous and, as I recall, the result of the slight wobble in the earth's rotation. What has happened at least once, however is the poles flipping north for south. That's a pretty freaky prospect, no? We'd all be Aussies!

The proof of this, as I recall is magnetic iron inclusions in bedrock laid down before a certain time are aligned with their north pole facing south and vice versa.

John
Old 04-30-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
For Rob, the magnetic north pole is on the move:

Pete
Pete, this is interesting. Where di you get the data?

Also, I think if you were to lay the increase in CO2(as measured) down against the magnetic shift, they would parallel each other. I wonder if there is a direct(high) correlation?

I am speculating in these next few comments. Could the diminishment of ice on the northern polar cap(change of mass on the spinning top) change the earths wobble slightly? If so, then the increase in CO2 has caused this as well?

IPCC - Intergovermental Panel on Climate Change - correction from my previous post. This site is very informative. It has tremendous amount of scientific data. Lots of testing and models. They put out a full report on the current and future(models) CO2 affects and effects, I think the current report is something like 12-1500 pages. I did read a portion of chapter 12. In this we may have 100 years to correct our environment.

I am going to take the time to print and thoroughly read the report and understand it. It will likely take me the better part of a month to go through it. I'll post as I understand it.

mark
Old 04-30-2014, 11:38 AM

A cut and paste from the IPCC website identifying who they are

"The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is the leading international body for the assessment of climate change. It was established by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) in 1988 to provide the world with a clear scientific view on the current state of knowledge in climate change and its potential environmental and socio-economic impacts. In the same year, the UN General Assembly endorsed the action by WMO and UNEP in jointly establishing the IPCC.

The IPCC is a scientific body under the auspices of the United Nations (UN). It reviews and assesses the most recent scientific, technical and socio-economic information produced worldwide relevant to the understanding of climate change. It does not conduct any research nor does it monitor climate related data or parameters. .............................."

Just an FYI
Old 04-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

John I hope we never see an inversion! Who knows what'll happen? The earths magnetosphere is weakening too.

JC I find the charts etc on bing images but watch the URL and if questionable do further research. This is that pics' URL: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/imag..._dip_poles.png

So it's the NOAA. There is a list of updated coordinates estimated through 2015 here: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/data/poles/NP.xy

It appears to be accelerating but I have no idea how to add 2013 to the plot.

The UN is absolutely pro-human driven climate change, not saying they're wrong, although the 'skeptics' link I provided shows there are flaws in their models. I look forward to your info.

Sidenote, those UN sites give rise to people screaming 'Agenda 21!!'. Check it out Wear tinfoil hats for much of it though

Pete
Old 04-30-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
The UN is absolutely pro-human driven climate change, not saying they're wrong, although the 'skeptics' link I provided shows there are flaws in their models.
So, they obviously have an agenda, right? As Mark's post indicated, the UN, through the IPCC, doesn't conduct any research. Instead, they rely on the data, research and conclusions of the experts in the relevant fields from all over the world. They report consensus. They don't cherry-pick the research of outliers and skeptics.

John
Old 04-30-2014, 12:18 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
Bobabode,
I'll post info as I find it too.

mark
I don't know about where you guys live but all I have to do is look out the window - the weather is totally upside down.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Resident octogenarian

There is an experiment set up at U of MD regarding the polar shift.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I understand that John. But I thought the UNs overall position was clear. And isn't it a scientists job to be skeptical? I find the general propensity to disparage people questioning commonly held beliefs to be unhelpful or even dangerous (even though it's as old as time). Theories need to be held up to scrutiny. The proof is in the... proof lol.

I do understand there are a lot of fruitcakes out there, and folks with outside agendas. Trust, but verify

Pete
Old 04-30-2014, 12:27 PM

I guess this outlines the questions that need answered:
1. Is the climate changing?
2. If so, why is it changing?
3. What will the affects be of the changes?
4. Can anything, should anything be done to mitigate the affects?
5. Can/should anything be done about the causes of the change?

Here is a piece from N.A.S.A.'s website
http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence

and here

http://climate.nasa.gov/effects

mark
Old 04-30-2014, 12:29 PM

another good read

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/indicators/