Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-13-2023, 04:36 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Mitt Romney Retiring

The last principled, patriotic GOP Senator is throwing in the towel and not seeking another term. Mitt and his father were fine men who pushed against the bigoted idiocy of their party.

If you have the time and can get thru any paywall, here's a long excerpt from a forthcoming book about Romney. He's pretty forthright about the unprincipled worms he works with in the Senate.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...onnell/675306/
Old 09-13-2023, 04:45 PM

I respected at one time just never could see voting for him.

Not coming out completely as a anti cult voice troubled me. Fighting a little stronger against the MAGA cult seemed weak. Will see now what will be his voice.
Old 09-13-2023, 05:05 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post

Not coming out completely as a anti cult voice troubled me. Fighting a little stronger against the MAGA cult seemed weak. Will see now what will be his voice.
He was the only Republican who voted twice to impeach Trump.
Old 09-13-2023, 09:03 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:

He had the tag "Vulture Capitalist" attached to his back. His fulminations against Trump lacked conviction.
Old 09-14-2023, 06:37 AM

Now that he is not going to run again. Let us see if willing to be a voice like Liz and fight Trump and the Cult.

Campaigning against Trump and if need be a supporter of the Democratic candidate next year.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
He had the tag "Vulture Capitalist" attached to his back. His fulminations against Trump lacked conviction.
My ass, you delusional TrumpGOP apologist.

Quote:
Perhaps Romney’s most surprising discovery upon entering the Senate was that his disgust with Trump was not unique among his Republican colleagues. “Almost without exception,” he told me, “they shared my view of the president.” In public, of course, they played their parts as Trump loyalists, often contorting themselves rhetorically to defend the president’s most indefensible behavior. But in private, they ridiculed his ignorance, rolled their eyes at his antics, and made incisive observations about his warped, toddler-like psyche. Romney recalled one senior Republican senator frankly admitting, “He has none of the qualities you would want in a president, and all of the qualities you wouldn’t.”

This dissonance soon wore on Romney’s patience. Every time he publicly criticized Trump, it seemed, some Republican senator would smarmily sidle up to him in private and express solidarity. “I sure wish I could do what you do,” they’d say, or “Gosh, I wish I had the constituency you have,” and then they’d look at him expectantly, as if waiting for Romney to convey profound gratitude. This happened so often that he started keeping a tally; at one point, he told his staff that he’d had more than a dozen similar exchanges. He developed a go-to response for such occasions: “There are worse things than losing an election. Take it from somebody who knows.”
I believe every word. We already know that as good as Democratic members of Congress are at vote whoring...they are rank amateurs compared to the current Republican members.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:38 AM

I'm wondering which MAGA the GOP will seek to fill his seat. I doubt it but it would be a kick to see him campaign for a Democrat seeking to replace him.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Now that he is not going to run again. Let us see if willing to be a voice like Liz and fight Trump and the Cult.

Campaigning against Trump and if need be a supporter of the Democratic candidate next year.
OK...but let's not get carried away about the true nature of Liz Cheney, Adam Kinzinger, and Romney. Who, voted in line with Trump's position 95% (115th Congress, 99% (115th Congress), and 78% (116th Congress), respectively.

These are the last goddamn people I want having seats in the legislative branch. Because they have taken a decent position on Donald Trump personally, does not make them heroes, it only makes them not complete assholes.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:

In that vein,

Mitt Romney Names The Republican Senator He Disrespects Most
Old 09-14-2023, 10:17 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
In essence, he was a Democratic candidate.