Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I'm with Bluestreak on this one. I'm generally of the opinion that wistfulness for the good old days has a lot to do with one's desire to be young again (coupled with a failing memory).

Then don't go there.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Thanks for that. By the way, the thought process that goes along with your last sentence above is filled with various scenarios that keep her mom and I awake on many nights...
I can imagine that it does, all I can offer is something that the late King George used to quote in his New Year's broadcasts to the Commonwealth.

" I said to the man who stood at the door of the New Year, give me a lamp for it is dark and I know not the way. He said to me Go forth and put your hand into the hand of God, that shall be better than any lamp or known way"

It's been a few years and I'm trusting an aged memory, but I think I got that right.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:54 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. I'm with Bluestreak on this one. I'm generally of the opinion that wistfulness for the good old days has a lot to do with one's desire to be young again (coupled with a failing memory).
Sorry, but you could not pay me to go back to my teens or twenties, the thirties were no bloody picnic either.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:06 AM

Adoption laws vary by state. When we adopted Liberty, we had sign off from the mother and father when the process started 5 months before Lib was born. If they changed their mind, they would have had to take legal action to do so, they certainly didn't have an option just to reclaim the child without a lot of effort and after the adoption was finalized 6 months later, they had no legal recourse. Some states aren't quite as progressive as Michigan. We were lucky enough to have adopted through the lawyer who worked to get most of the laws put in place in MI.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:34 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Adoption laws vary by state. When we adopted Liberty, we had sign off from the mother and father when the process started 5 months before Lib was born. If they changed their mind, they would have had to take legal action to do so, they certainly didn't have an option just to reclaim the child without a lot of effort and after the adoption was finalized 6 months later, they had no legal recourse. Some states aren't quite as progressive as Michigan. We were lucky enough to have adopted through the lawyer who worked to get most of the laws put in place in MI.
Maybe it was that crazy Canuck you had as Governor.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Maybe it was that crazy Canuck you had as Governor.

Not a huge fan of her or her predecessor or his predecessor or his...

The adoption laws changed in MI in the early 90s here.

I think there is currently a good mix of rights for birth parents and adoptive parents here, at least for private adoptions. They get to choose the parents their child will live with, the adoptive parents get an awful lot of control over who they want to adopt and as I mentioned, the chances of something really horrifying happening to the adoptive parents are pretty slim.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
I tire of middle age white men debating the morality of what a woman can do with her body. I think that if men could get pregnant, they may have a different view of this issue.

Also, WTF is the party of small government doing arguing that such decisions should be made in Washington?
If it's what a woman can do with her own body, someone should tell the government - 18 years of child support payments have to be good for some say.

And the decision shouldn't be made in Washington. Abortion aside, Roe vs Wade is the worst kind of judicial legislating. This is 'reserved to the States, or the people'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Some of my coworkers have me wondering if we should abort fetuses well into their fifties......................
LMAO!

Pete
Old 04-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
And the decision shouldn't be made in Washington. Abortion aside, Roe vs Wade is the worst kind of judicial legislating. This is 'reserved to the States, or the people'.
This sounds like a pro-choice position, Pete.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
This sounds like a pro-choice position, Pete.
personally I enjoy never knowing the law when I cross state lines.

Keeps ya guessing.