Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Loyal Opposition

So the guy in the hood is aiming a gun at you, and you're going to say "time out, I need to get my gun out of the safe."

Or you are going to leave a loaded weapon where it is readily available to you, or to a toddler.

And while you reach for the weapon instead of the sky, the guy who has the gun trained on you is going to fire before you even get close to the weapon.

Or you're going to be sitting there ready to deal with any intruders, and you get him before he pulls his gun.

Which of those scenarios is more realistic?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
So the guy in the hood is aiming a gun at you, and you're going to say "time out, I need to get my gun out of the safe."

Or you are going to leave a loaded weapon where it is readily available to you, or to a toddler.

And while you reach for the weapon instead of the sky, the guy who has the gun trained on you is going to fire before you even get close to the weapon.

Or you're going to be sitting there ready to deal with any intruders, and you get him before he pulls his gun.

Regards,

D-Ray
crickets?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Admin

Quote:
crickets?

Regards,

D-Ray
Indeed...maybe they have old soup cans with pebbles in them, strung on fishing line throughout their castles? and AK47's under their pillows.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:

Regards,

D-Ray
For me, the scenario is that I have a loaded weapon where it is available to me, but not to a toddler. My weapon is hidden, where a toddler (or most anyone, for that matter) would never know there's even a storage compartment, much less a gun. Furthermore, if a toddler were to somehow get a hold of my gun, they do not have the physical strength to operate the action.

Further, your scenario starts with the threat standing in front of me pointing a gun. How did he get in my house without me knowing it? I've got an alarm system with intrusion and motion sensors. I've also got a dog that will alert on any unusual noises.

How about this scenario- Bad guy breaks the glass on the front door. You wake up and call 911. Cops get on their horse. You retreat to a closet while talking to the dispatcher. Bad guy finds you and puts a bullet through your head as you cower in a fetal position begging for your life.

I'd rather go down reaching for a gun.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Some would see the implied intimidation of gun ownership trumping that of free speech. I don't, having free speech with a right to privacy included is what made our country strong all these years.

Was it not in general mostly overall peaceful protest swaying public sentiments that ended the Vietnam War? Do we really want armed mobs in the streets upset at the government? Like in other countries? Plus does anyone deep in their hearts really believe a few with small arms stand a chance against our Government. Especially after watching Nova last night on PBS about the "Rise of the Drones" ....http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/militar...he-drones.html

Barney
There are valuable lessons some folks could stand to learn from Ghandi and King. They just refuse to because they're "True American Patriots" that don't take lessons from no skinny, foreign vegetarians and they certainly aint gonna take no advice from no dang ni**er..........And, NO racism has nothing to do with that!

Regards,
Dave
Old 01-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
For me, the scenario is that I have a loaded weapon where it is available to me, but not to a toddler. My weapon is hidden, where a toddler (or most anyone, for that matter) would never know there's even a storage compartment, much less a gun. Furthermore, if a toddler were to somehow get a hold of my gun, they do not have the physical strength to operate the action.

Further, your scenario starts with the threat standing in front of me pointing a gun. How did he get in my house without me knowing it? I've got an alarm system with intrusion and motion sensors. I've also got a dog that will alert on any unusual noises.

How about this scenario- Bad guy breaks the glass on the front door. You wake up and call 911. Cops get on their horse. You retreat to a closet while talking to the dispatcher. Bad guy finds you and puts a bullet through your head as you cower in a fetal position begging for your life.

I'd rather go down reaching for a gun.
How about THIS scenario;

Regards,
Dave
Old 01-24-2013, 05:47 PM
reflexionar

...and in an ironic twist, the 2nd amendment is about the only one the ACLU won't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Marc
Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:

Regards,

D-Ray
Come on Don, you're better than that.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
...and in an ironic twist, the 2nd amendment is about the only one the ACLU won't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Marc
Those darned ACLUnatics can read, that's the problem! Well regulated milit......nevermind.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Come on Don, you're better than that.
I'm not. Do you feel lucky?.... Granted, the guy in the hoodie isn't pointing a .44 magnum Smith & Wesson revolver at you, asking if you can count. or yelling at a chair.