Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:13 AM

Understanding Marxism and So************************m with Richard Wolff

I think everyone knows by now that I am a Marxist. Richard Wolff has a great way of talking about Marxism. I like to share just a little of it. I have been studying it for several years now and in no way does this explain it in total.

"To understand why Marx's popularity has stood the test of time, Abby Martin interviews renowned Marxist economist Richard Wolff".

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?...&jumival=15950
Old 03-24-2016, 09:35 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanishingPoi View Post
I think everyone knows by now that I am a Marxist. Richard Wolff has a great way of talking about Marxism. I like to share just a little of it. I have been studying it for several years now and in no way does this explain it in total.

"To understand why Marx's popularity has stood the test of time, Abby Martin interviews renowned Marxist economist Richard Wolff".

Isn't Karl the guy who tried to sell labor (not the scarce skilled variety) being as important as scarce resources? What he was describing applied to then (western Europe and US), not now. His labor supply is now essentially global and well in surplus of demand. Adam Smith is where it's at.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:59 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Isn't Karl the guy who tried to sell labor (not the scarce skilled variety) being as important as scarce resources? What he was describing applied to then (western Europe and US), not now. His labor supply is now essentially global and well in surplus of demand. Adam Smith is where it's at.
The Northern Europeans have bought a good chunk of Karl's argument and made adjustments.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:17 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
The Northern Europeans have bought a good chunk of Karl's argument and made adjustments.
Which makes perfect sense. His theories applied best there. At the time of the Great Depression organized labor was a force to be reckoned with in Northern Europe.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Which makes perfect sense. His theories applied best there. At the time of the Great Depression organized labor was a force to be reckoned with in Northern Europe.
The social democracies of Northern Europe came into their own during the post-WWII era of prosperity, not during the Great Depression.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:47 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
The social democracies of Northern Europe came into their own during the post-WWII era of prosperity, not during the Great Depression.
So?
Old 03-24-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
So?
So, the context you describe and the motivations you imply for the development of European social democracies is incorrect. They developed during a time of prosperity and stability, not crisis and upheaval.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:00 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
So, the context you describe and the motivations you imply for the development of European social democracies is incorrect. They developed during a time of prosperity and stability, not crisis and upheaval.
What happened in the 30's greatly impacted the post war. Many concessions were made to labor, especially in Scandinavia.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
What happened in the 30's greatly impacted the post war. Many concessions were made to labor, especially in Scandinavia.
What concessions were made?

Was it only organized labor agitating for these concessions?

What was it about the Great Depression which prompted the demand for these concessions?

Were these concessions merely congruent with the interest of organized labor or did they impact society as a whole?

Discuss.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanishingPoi View Post

Its not Marx's popularity that has stood the test of time. Its Marx's infamy which as stood the test of time.