Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:41 PM

This article offers a strategy that makes sense...

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...217028?cid=apn
Old 02-19-2018, 02:15 PM
Admin

"Of course, that doesn't prevent the MSM from running boogeyman, fake news stories about how the NRA paying to teach Cruz to shoot." Whell

Fact - The NRA gave the shooter's high school ROTC program in excess of $10,000 for training.

Fact - The shooter was enrolled in the program.

Saying that the NRA trained the shooter may be a little loaded but it's a fact.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:47 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
"Of course, that doesn't prevent the MSM from running boogeyman, fake news stories about how the NRA paying to teach Cruz to shoot." Whell

Fact - The NRA gave the shooter's high school ROTC program in excess of $10,000 for training.

Fact - The shooter was enrolled in the program.

Saying that the NRA trained the shooter may be a little loaded but it's a fact.
I guess I'm just as guilty, having been an NRA Hunter Safety Instructor for several years as well as a Boy Scout Merit Badge Advisor for Rifle and Shotgun Shooting.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I guess I'm just as guilty, having been an NRA Hunter Safety Instructor for several years as well as a Boy Scout Merit Badge Advisor for Rifle and Shotgun Shooting.
And I bet you would have spotted this guy’s abnormal behaviors and reported him...
Old 02-19-2018, 03:01 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
And I bet you would have spotted this guy’s abnormal behaviors and reported him...
To the extent they were apparent, yes. OTOH, trained professionals from Florida Social Services went to this guy's house on several occasions, knew he wanted to get a gun, and didn't undertake anything to prevent it (not that Florida law would have allowed them to anyway (only four states (CA, WA, IN, and CT do))).

That points out the fallacy of the GOP's mental health argument. The Journal of Abnormal Psychology suggests that approximately 80 percent of the population will experience a diagnosable mental health issue, like depression, in the lifetimes. The study also found that for most people, the condition is temporary. How do you dovetail this data with regulations that would keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill and only the mentally ill? It simply cannot be done and that's probably why the GOP keeps emphasizing it.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:15 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I knew lots of you safe and sane hunters and responsible gun owners when I lived in Md. and Va., even went shooting now and then. You guys and gals kept the white tailed lawn rat population under control.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:41 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I knew lots of you safe and sane hunters and responsible gun owners when I lived in Md. and Va., even went shooting now and then. You guys and gals kept the white tailed lawn rat population under control.
I do my damnedest, though mostly via bowhunting and blackpowder. Modern firearm hunting is just too easy.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:54 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

A White House official told The Washington Post that coverage of the mass shooting at a Florida high school last week gave the administration “a reprieve” from dealing with overwhelming negative news.

“For everyone, it was a distraction or a reprieve,” one administration said in a story posted Monday. “A lot of people here felt like it was a reprieve from seven or eight days of just getting pummeled.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...a-reprieve-for

Classy as ever in Trumpworld, welcoming the slaughter of innocent kids to protect their Dear Leader.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:12 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

President Trump reportedly sought advice on gun control from his Mar-a-Lago guests in the wake of Wednesday’s deadly school shooting in Florida. Sources cited by The Washington Post on Sunday said the president obsessively monitored media coverage of the massacre as he surveyed friends staying at the lavish resort on whether he should take action on gun control. Meanwhile, he has reportedly declined an invitation to attend a town hall on Wednesday featuring victims and survivors...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/report...control-advice

Gutless dotard.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:14 PM

What if the Las Vegas shooter had done the Republican convention instead of a random country music street party-----?