Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:44 AM
Administrator

How wealth relates.....

I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying the other thread in this particular forum

Today's topic for discussion....when wealth relates to politics and religion, do you personally find it more difficult to accept a rich career politician, or a rich representative of God? Or both? At what level of sustainance do you draw the line for credibility?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:47 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

With me it's not how much they have... it's how they got it.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
With me it's not how much they have... it's how they got it.
Amen brother.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Administrator

And see with me its also how they use it.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
And see with me its also how they use it.
You mean that there's something out of kilter when a man who lives on the contributions from his "flock" wears custom tailored designer suits and rides around in a Bently? Or has gold plated plumbing fixtures? Or attends "prayer conferences" in Tahiti?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Wealthy politicians don't bother me, provided that they are not ill-gotten gains. As for religious figures, I don't like religious figures who get their wealth from their flocks. It just seems far too manipulative, even predatory, to me.

Last edited by finnbow; 11-04-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying the other thread in this particular forum

Today's topic for discussion....when wealth relates to politics and religion, do you personally find it more difficult to accept a rich career politician, or a rich representative of God? Or both? At what level of sustainance do you draw the line for credibility?
It's always nice to learn some perspective to understand Bible verses. The phrase we have often heard - that's it is harder for a rich man to go to heaven than for a camel to pass through the eye of the needle - does not describe an impossible task. Apparently, the ranchers of the day used a gate to the pens that was very low and narrow, called the eye of the needle. The Camels had to get to their knees to pass through it. It was a matter of some difficulty, but with the right effort and focus on the task, it was done.

Similarly, the rich person, with all of the doors that are opened by money, faces untold temptations in life. Such person also faces the risk that the wealth takes precedence over everything else in life. When the desire for greater wealth overcomes a person, it is difficult to follow the golden rule. I sincerely doubt that there are many people who reached positions of wealth or influence without giving themselves a boost on the back of other people, and probably stepping on a few faces along the way. The focus on obtaining wealth interferes with the focus on other things that might be expected of an adherent to a particular religion (beyond keeping one's pants zipped).

EDIT: OK, looking back at the question, it looks like I didn't answer it. I believe the level of compensation paid to a pastor should reflect the level of training required to hold the position (a Doctor of Divinity, roughly equal to a PHD); the responsibility for managing an organization that serves from 25 to 2500 individuals; and the visitation and counseling demands placed on the schedule. A pastor should make what a CEO of a similar size organization SHOULD make (which, for most, is considerably less than they actually make).

Regards,

D-Ray

Last edited by d-ray657; 11-04-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Area Man

Have to think about this for a while.

Dave
Old 11-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
OK, looking back at the question, it looks like I didn't answer it. I believe the level of compensation paid to a pastor should reflect the level of training required to hold the position (a Doctor of Divinity, roughly equal to a PHD); the responsibility for managing an organization that serves from 25 to 2500 individuals; and the visitation and counseling demands placed on the schedule. A pastor should make what a CEO of a similar size organization SHOULD make (which, for most, is considerably less than they actually make).
In a market economy, there's nothing other than supply and demand of particular skills/abilities that should dictate what one makes. I just don't buy the pastor/CEO analogy. If the guy can walk on water (literally) or mass produce loaves and fishes, OK. But talking about walking on water and loaves and fishes is another thing altogether.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
In a market economy, there's nothing other than supply and demand of particular skills/abilities that should dictate what one makes. I just don't buy the pastor/CEO analogy. If the guy can walk on water (literally) or mass produce loaves and fishes, OK. But talking about walking on water and loaves and fishes is another thing altogether.
Finn, you just contradicted yourself. You indicated that you have a problem with a religious leader whose exorbitant lifestyle is drawn from contributions by his congregation. (So do I.) But to be consistent with the market-based analysis you set forth above, if the religious leader puts on a show and presents a message that results in contributions at a high level, isn't the market for that particular service at that level?

If the salary of a CEO is based on a market manipulated by cronyism, which artificially inflates executive compensation, it that really permitting market forces to limit executive salaries?

My point with respect to pastors was not to suggest that they should be getting million dollar bonuses and huge salaries. I was merely suggesting that when a salary approaching six figures fits within the budget of the organization, the educational background, duties, and skills justify it (in my example, the pastor did much more than preaching) I was also suggesting that the actual contribution by the CEO of a similarly sized commercial enterprise should be valued in the same ballpark.

Regards,

D-Ray