Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2012, 08:06 AM

Sorry I left out China. But...it's a stretch to call China "communist". Other than the name of the party, what China is now is a state-controlled capitalist system. I give grudging props to Richard Nixon for "planting the seed", so to speak. There's absolutely no way we would see the China of today with Chairman Mao or Chou En Lai at the helm...as true hardline communists they'd be horrified. Nixon's visit to China was in some ways similar to Commodore Perry's visit to Japan in the 1800s...it opened the door to the west and gave China a glimpse of the economic power they could become.

Oh...and another thing: Regarding charitable activity vis-a-vis conservatives and liberals. Most conservatives don't view their chairitable contributions as "charity"...they're tax deductions. In my case, I can't AFFORD to contribute as much as I would like. I divide $200/year between the Humane Society, ASPCA, the National Wildlife Federation and the Arbor Day foundation. Sure wish I could do more financially...but I do what I can otherwise by helping deliver senior meals when I can, teaching astronomy & electronics for the Cub Scouts & Boy Scouts, helping with food drives and other non-monetary contributions. What I do is very similar to what a lot of others with similar views do. Sure, donating money is great...but time is money and I'll give as much as I can.

Last edited by electronjohn; 02-03-2012 at 08:23 AM.