Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:26 PM

My New Toys

I just acquired some new speakers. They need work, but I've wanted a pair for a long time. Finally, a pair popped up only one half mile from where I live. If I manage not to electrocute myself, I hope to have them restored to their former glory soon.

Last edited by bhunter; 05-13-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Electrostatics? They look nice.

Pete
Old 05-13-2014, 02:33 PM
Admin

What are they?
Old 05-13-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Electrostatics? They look nice.

Pete
Yesireee! I'm a long time Magnepan user and wanted to try some electrostats since I first heard Quad ESL/57s years ago. These are Quad ESL-63s USA Monitors that need some work. I figure it will take anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a complete rebuild for $1800.00; however, considering similar new Quads retail at about $10K, I'll be happy even if they do require a complete rebuild. I'll know more once I test them tonight.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
What are they?
Quad ESL-63 USA Monitor Electrostatic Speakers. I debated taking on this restoration project, but I love dipole speakers. I've been on the hunt for a pair of Quads or Accoustats for several years and when these popped up down the street I knew I had to have them. They're actually fairly simple in construction. Fortunately, they have a following with lots of support and information available on the internet.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:35 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Yeah some diehard fans. I know I heard a pair of heavily modded ones at an ak fest long ago but for some unknown reason don't remember what they sounded like

My wife still talks about the MG1 maggies I had years ago. I'd love to give the Quads a try. BZZZT - OUCH! DAMMIT!

Let us know.

Pete
Old 05-13-2014, 04:08 PM
Admin

Nice speakers Brent.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Nice speakers Brent.
Well, I tested them this evening hooked up to my little trusty HK PM645 integrated since I didn't know their condition. All I can say is that even broken these speakers are rather impressive. Now I need to read a lot and see what's the best repair options. I know I need at least a couple of panels rebuilt and a retensioning of the dust covers.

If you're unfamiliar with stats they're a charged mylar film in between two charged stators with appropriate support structure and insulation between the charged parts. IIRC, the mylar has a constant charge and the stator replicates the musical signal. The stators and the mylar have a high voltage charge thats ~6000V. The ESL63s have four rectangular shaped panels that are connected together that comprise the speaker. They are also unique because they replicate a point source through a delay line. The result is that sound appears to emanate about 14 inches behind the speaker.

Anyway, I'm rambling. When I learn more, I'll be posting questions at AK.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:21 AM
Mutated Member

I would really like to listen them when they are repaired/restored! Great stuff!
Old 05-14-2014, 07:30 AM
Ready

Feel free to share details here as well as on AK.

With lots and lots of pictures!