Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

While that may be true, I know some Tea Partiers, and they are dedicated. They really answer to no one.

Pete
Old 04-04-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
They probably are in Alaska. Who in the hell actually wants to live there, besides Wasillaguy and the Palins?
I don't know, maybe ask one of the other 650,000 residents.
Clean air, wide open spaces, gorgeous scenery, abundant wildlife, country living, good paying jobs, economy that doesn't crash, world class fishing and hunting, and we even have stores and malls if you like that sort of crap.

Besides that, I'm not sure why anyone would want to live here.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Area Man

That's not many people for such a gigantic state, area wise. Yeah, it's pretty to look at. But, a lot of places are.

Country living, wild life, fishing, hunting.....Bleck. That can be found in any state and I don't care about any of it anyhow. I grew up in the country and found it utterly depressing. I'd imagine when those loooooooong nights come around during the brutal winters your suicide rate gets ugly.

To each his own. And you can have it.

Dave
Old 04-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
While that may be true, I know some Tea Partiers, and they are dedicated. They really answer to no one.

Pete
Insane asylums are full of dedicated people, dedicated to the voices in their heads.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:14 PM

Smile

Thanks Dave. You not being here also makes it nice.
BTW country living & good paying jobs are a combo that's very hard to find without a nasty long commute.
And no other state is in the same league concerning beauty, fishing, hunting, etc.

Last edited by Wasillaguy; 04-04-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:35 PM

Imagine if Social Security would have all been invested into the stock market. Would have made for a scary time over the past few years.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Resident octogenarian

Hey wassy we live in the countryside, beautiful trees, quiet. The long commute, one flight of stairs, I can even use the chairlifts if I feel real lazy.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

If SS was in the market, we'd have almost all of it back, instead it's been stolen from us by the wise and mighty government.

I have an acquantence with family in Alaska, she occasionally gets fresh caught wild salmon.

Pete
Old 04-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
If SS was in the market, we'd have almost all of it back, instead it's been stolen from us by the wise and mighty government.

I have an acquantence with family in Alaska, she occasionally gets fresh caught wild salmon.

Pete
How is that any different than having it stolen by the Masters of the Universe, enquiring minds want to know.

Having it come back after you have already starved to death is sad comfort.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Don't really matter to me, I got out of the union, I can get better money negotiating on my own.
Ahh negotiating on your own. When ever I see that someone is anti-union, not knowing if you are or not. Will make me wounder when they are doing something like building a house or deck even, if smart will require something in writing? I know the contractor will have a contract for you to sign and you had better read it and make any changes known in writing.
Whenever a service is supplied some sorta contract is normally signed by both parties.

Then why not an employer to employee contract written down in some way? Now if there was a place an employee could actually go and seek relief then unions would not be needed at all. But unfortunately there is nowhere to turn for most problems employees to turn.

Without unions do you really think a full 40 hour work week, overtime or vacations/ sick time along with work safety would have happened? Then add retirement and pay increases over the years.

We can see what changes have happened to labor in the years since Reagen basically gutted the strike when allowing replacement of striking workers. Not letting the scabs go when the strike was over but allowing the company to bring back strikers on an as needed basis.

The rise of part time employment, jobs going going gone and two tier pay scales. Defined benefit Retirement plans being replaced with a supplemental plan called the 401K. The loss of health insurance coverage and on and on.....

Look at Ford asking for give backs, the union opened up the contract twice if memory serves me. Giving up pay and benefits both times. then as soon as the cuts are signed the company hands out insane bonuses to the company officers and management.

Barney