Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:42 AM

Swing States Get their "Reward"

The week after the election, unemployment claims spike across the country. So much for unemployment trending down. Sure, some of the claims can be attributable to Hurricane Sandy. However, the two states with the highest number of reported claims last week were PA and OH.

http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/e...m#.UKUY_uRi6SF
Old 11-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
The week after the election, unemployment claims spike across the country. So much for unemployment trending down. Sure, some of the claims can be attributable to Hurricane Sandy. However, the two states with the highest number of reported claims last week were PA and OH.

I wonder how many of those were in the advertising industry?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:

That's okay, whell. Their stuff will be there next week. Then they won't even need to work, right?

John
Old 11-15-2012, 10:48 AM

Another neocon making a mountain out of a molehill.

Cry me a river, whell. Let it out.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
Another neocon making a mountain out of a molehill.

Cry me a river, whell. Let it out.
Of course that would be your perspective. For the next month I'm confident that those on the left will continue to ignore reality and paint any commentary on the nation's lack of economic recovery will be painted as "sour grapes." If that makes you feel better, good for you.

Let's not forget that October unemployment was up slightly. Between the PA and OH numbers, the lack of employers adding jobs, and the layoffs that have been announced following the election, it seems unlikely that the unemployment numbers are ready for a favorable move. Of course, there's always hiring in the retail sector for the Holidays that might help the unemployment numbers, but those are the types of minimum wage jobs that the left loves to hate.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Of course that would be your perspective. For the next month I'm confident that those on the left will continue to ignore reality and paint any commentary on the nation's lack of economic recovery will be painted as "sour grapes." If that makes you feel better, good for you.

Let's not forget that October unemployment was up slightly. Between the PA and OH numbers, the lack of employers adding jobs, and the layoffs that have been announced following the election, it seems unlikely that the unemployment numbers are ready for a favorable move. Of course, there's always hiring in the retail sector for the Holidays that might help the unemployment numbers, but those are the types of minimum wage jobs that the left loves to hate.
Oh boy. Here we go again.

What should Obama do differently?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:01 AM

Initial claims are down.

John
Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 PM

Of course the unemployment figures look bad right now.... We are in a recession and one that can't be turned around over night.... Or in four years for that matter.
I have a hard time understanding how people can be so partisan that they lose a grip on reality. Everyone wants the economy to improve but no body wants to make the sacrifices it will take to get to a stable economy. Further more, they want a stable economy NOW, forgetting how long it took to dig this hole in the first place.

(sorry, Whell, this rant wasn't directed at you personally, your words just got me started into it....)
Old 11-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Of course the unemployment figures look bad right now.... We are in a recession and one that can't be turned around over night.... Or in four years for that matter.
I have a hard time understanding how people can be so partisan that they lose a grip on reality. Everyone wants the economy to improve but no body wants to make the sacrifices it will take to get to a stable economy. Further more, they want a stable economy NOW, forgetting how long it took to dig this hole in the first place.

(sorry, Whell, this rant wasn't directed at you personally, your words just got me started into it....)
Well, it works that way in the movies!

Geez, Barbara, where is your head?

Regards,
Dave
Old 11-15-2012, 12:56 PM

In the 16 U.S. recessions since 1919, the average length has been 13 months, although the recent recessions have been shorter. Thus if the 2008 recession followed the average, the downturn in the stock market would have bottomed around November 2008. The actual US stock market bottom of the 2008 recession was in March 2009.