Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
The United States is far more multi-cultural than Germany, HK. Of the many cultures here, many like to retain their cultural heritage when it comes to music, food, dress, etc. Accordingly, many blacks simply don't like rock & roll and many whites don't like rap/hip-hop.

Consider your own home country, HK. There are over 4 million Turks there, representing over 5% of the population. Go to a concert that appeals to German youth and you won't see Turks in that percentage. I went to bunches of rock & roll concerts in Germany and don't think I saw a single Turk.
As a rule, the simplest explanation is often the most insightful.

Chas
Old 12-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'll guarantee you, had it lasted for a couple of weeks instead of a couple of days, those peace loving hippies would have been eating one another.
The 'peace and music' myth (and it is a myth of course, but why do you think that means it isn't true?) irritates conservatives. They often feel moved to make assertions like the above when reminded of it.

It's an interesting reaction. I wonder what it means?
Old 12-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Personally HK, I wouldn't put a great amount of "stock" into Woodstock. Get it???

It was an aberration, not the norm. Peace, love, rock and roll, drugs, and freeloading...a once in a lifetime myth packaged and sold to the "what if" generation. A lot of talented musicians no doubt, but the myth transcends the music. Less than a sum of it's parts in my estimation.

I'll guarantee you, had it lasted for a couple of weeks instead of a couple of days, those peace loving hippies would have been eating one another.

If you want to appreciate American culture, or any culture, Altamont would be a better example.

Kind of reminds me of a quote ATTRIBUTED to de Gaulle, "Kennedy is the nations mask, Johnson is the nations face."

The Woodstock snapshot was of a different culture, which no longer exists, it didn't really exist then. I have a collection of filters for my Pentax, when used correctly they can enhance reality. Or make it even worse than it is.

In essence, a snapshot taken at 1/1000 second.

Chas
Old 12-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:

The Woodstock snapshot was of a different culture, which no longer exists, it didn't really exist then.

Chas
It existed.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Admin

It exists still. Just a touch grayer these days.

Last edited by bobabode; 12-12-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:20 PM

Chas is talking about the silent majority that elected Nixon...to be fair that was where most of America was in 1969

not that I agree about Chas on almost anything thank goodness...I would not say Altamont was representative of the USA either. It is never black and white.

I think Tom Joad hit the nail on the head...I do not know if Tom is giving Chas the finger from an esrtwhile "hippie"...or if Tom is being sort of ironic in that the character shown was sort of the dark side of the counter culture.....I don't remember if Dennis Hopper was flower power type of character in the movie or more of biker type ...but he and Peter Fonda were businessmen since they were transporting coke or something...they were on the take too in other words.

I was too young but I remember hippies in the popular culture and the word war being spray painted on the stop signs. The sixties really took place between 1965-1975....

I remember my history professors in the early 80s talking about the ambivalent nature of the counter culture...it had good aspects and some bad ones. When I finally discovered Zappa in 2010 or so his album We're Only In It For The Money really dovetailed with what I was told by people who were there in the 60s. Zappa and my old professors were on the same page.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanKardon View Post
JJIII Is that so? Oh my - what a pity. I confess that I am obviously too far away to register the current sad significance of American Apartheid.

Ike Bana just try to understand that it is the point of view of a European.
HarmanKardon...love, peace and racism? If that's one European's point of view of the Woodstock Music and Art Festival of 1969, then what I understand is that one European's point of view of the Woodstock Music and Art Festival of 1969 is dead wrong.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Personally HK, I wouldn't put a great amount of "stock" into Woodstock. Get it???

It was an aberration, not the norm. Peace, love, rock and roll, drugs, and freeloading...a once in a lifetime myth packaged and sold to the "what if" generation. A lot of talented musicians no doubt, but the myth transcends the music. Less than a sum of it's parts in my estimation.

If you want to appreciate American culture, or any culture, Altamont would be a better example.

Kind of reminds me of a quote ATTRIBUTED to de Gaulle, "Kennedy is the nations mask, Johnson is the nations face."

The Woodstock snapshot was of a different culture, which no longer exists, it didn't really exist then. I have a collection of filters for my Pentax, when used correctly they can enhance reality. Or make it even worse than it is.

In essence, a snapshot taken at 1/1000 second.

Chas
I'm curious Chas...how old are you?
Old 12-13-2013, 02:18 AM
Mutated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanKardon View Post
Your posts guys were very helpful, thanks. Now I understand. Thanks Pete for at least one positive remark in connection with the current black & white situation.
Oh my oh my - I opened a "big barrel" (as we say)... So I quote myself: "Now I understand". I already understood without all the following posts!

"Love peace and racism!" - my first attempt in this forum being somehow ironic or even a bit cynical in order to put some more horse powers into my starting post. Please stop to stone me for this remark now.

Finnbow I am living in a small town with 6000 residents, but there are 41 different nationalities. (Perhaps you google "Tief im weltoffenen Schwarzwald taz" and use a qualified translator service) This is rather exceptional but Germany actually became very tolerant in the last decades, and each time when neo nazis attack people here with non-german origin celebrating their fucking xenophobia the public gets furious.

But of course I know what you are trying to say. When "Zappa plays Zappa" performs most people in the audience are intellectual Germans or people from English speaking countries.

Chas thanks for "It was an aberration, not the norm!" This makes things very clear.

Last edited by HarmanKardon; 12-13-2013 at 02:34 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:09 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
I'm curious Chas...how old are you?
Chas is my age.