Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:55 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post
Hanford, Savannah River, Oak Ridge and others are a complete consequence of the Weapons Programs. They are the most serious overlooked enviro disaster in this country for the past 40 years. They continue to BURY bulldozers in place because after a few months of service -- they are too radioactive to operate.
Look up this document MLM-MU-77-66-0001.pdf it is now declassified and tells (most) of the radioactivity they left in the Mound Lab at Miamisburg, Ohio. This was where my late wife worked testing detonators for the A-bombs. It is also where they gave her the ovarian cancer that eventually killed her. This was because OSHA had not come up with "best practices" for handling radioactive materials and the contractors, in this case Monsanto, were so bloody careless as to be criminal.

The part they never tell you about is the several floors of the T building that were underground. From all the documents available you are led to believe that building only had two floors. BS

Last edited by merrylander; 05-30-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:03 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post
Hanford, Savannah River, Oak Ridge and others are a complete consequence of the Weapons Programs. They are the most serious overlooked enviro disaster in this country for the past 40 years. They continue to BURY bulldozers in place because after a few months of service -- they are too radioactive to operate.
Look up this document MLM-MU-77-66-0001.pdf it is now declassified and tells (most) of the radioactivity they left in the Mound Lab at Miamisburg, Ohio. This was where my late wife worked testing detonators for the A-bombs. It is also where they gave her the ovarian cancer that eventually killed her. This was because OSHA had not come up with "best practices" for handling radioactive materials and the contractors, in this case Monsanto, were so bloody careless as to be criminal.

Even after OSHA did publish guidelines it was like setting a speed limit but having no highway patrol. Karen Silkwood died well after the guidelines came out. DOE finally sent me all Florence's work records, well at least all the ones that had not been lost. I can point to another document where they wrote;;

3. Records Management

3.1 Finding aids may be insufficient to support the
identification and retrieval of records in the
future that may be required to support postclosure
activities.
High Initiate a cooperative effort between
LM and EM to identify/document
existing finding aids. Determination of
mitigation actions required will be
borne out by assessment.
3.2 EM may not inventory, archive, or disposition
all of its records prior to transfer of the site
because of lack of knowledgeable personnel,
resources, etc.
Medium Determine resources required to
disposition records in accordance with
NARA guidance prior to transfer of
the site.
4. Information Management
4.1 There may be delays in the transfer (or
insufficient transfer) of relational databases
(e.g., MEIMS) deemed critical for post-closure
because of lack of knowledgeable personnel,
resources, etc.

Upon reading the document I pointed at above, one scientist commented;

“Yes I said Monsanto... owner of the dirtiest, most unsafe nuclear research facility on Earth. A while back someone sent me a single document... declassified with all the appropriate marks... it was quite an eye opener. First I had never heard of this lab before... slipped under my radar and it was supposed to be closed... a real environmental mess”

Last edited by merrylander; 05-30-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:00 PM

Merrylander, we pray for you every week and are very, very sorry that you lost your soulmate. The conditions that so many of these workers operated and worked under were deplorable by modern standards, yet the US government in its secretive zeal and desire to minimize settlements, for years denied and hid the very environments they had government contract workers exposed to every day.

I have three friends in the industry that worked at Mound on the cleanup, one or two who probably worked the very areas your wife worked. For anyone who doubts, the risks and dangers were real, and very pervasive and deadly to many over the years.

As far as the various nuke plant tritium leaks, they are numerous and widespread at this time, as most plants for a number of years were monitoring for cobalt60 and isotopes other than tritium, which is quite low on the relative risk level.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:33 PM

Private profit, public liability. Wot a country!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Area Man

Oh, GAWD!

I can here the Trump fans now;

"Save our Nukular! Save our Nukular! Save our Nukular! We Want our Nukular back!"

Oy, Oy, Oy...............
Old 05-23-2016, 06:21 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post
Merrylander, we pray for you every week and are very, very sorry that you lost your soulmate. The conditions that so many of these workers operated and worked under were deplorable by modern standards, yet the US government in its secretive zeal and desire to minimize settlements, for years denied and hid the very environments they had government contract workers exposed to every day.

I have three friends in the industry that worked at Mound on the cleanup, one or two who probably worked the very areas your wife worked. For anyone who doubts, the risks and dangers were real, and very pervasive and deadly to many over the years.

As far as the various nuke plant tritium leaks, they are numerous and widespread at this time, as most plants for a number of years were monitoring for cobalt60 and isotopes other than tritium, which is quite low on the relative risk level.
Thank You, yes Florence worked in the underground levels of the T Building that the records say do not exist. Her gynecologist compounded the death sentence when after removing a 19cm x 17cm x 12cm 2200 gram collection of cysts from her and doing a radical hysterectomy he did not take the advice of two pathologists and perform further tests. So the cancer cells remained dormant until a trauma reactivated them. Then the hospitals were not much help. I would not send my worst enemy to Medstar Montgomery and would hesitate to send my cats to Howard County General. I should have taken her to Canada.

The detonators she tested were loaded with tritium and it was also kept in the T Building in its gaseous form. They allowed materials and staff to ride in the same elevator yet despite what happened to those Japanese fishermen on the Lucky Dragon (Fukuryu Maru) they still were very cavalier about the effects of radiation. Still waiting for a decision by the Dept of Labor as to her qualifying for remediation under EEOICP.. They admit that she never wore film badges or dosimeters in the four years she was there, but some young smartass at NIOSH has done a dose reconstruction, what I would call a SWAG. SWAG = Scientific Wild Ass Guess.

Oddly enough someone submitted her name to a group called the Cold War Patriots who sent me a certificate stating that she is a Founding Member. What really upsets me is that she and the young women she worked with gave their lives for this country but get no recognition. When I think back on it it was mostly young women who did this work, misogyny at work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCF04292016_0000.jpg (107.7 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by merrylander; 05-26-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:19 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Thank You, yes Florence worked in the underground levels of the T Building that the records say do not exist. Her gynecologist compounded the death sentence when after removing a 19cm x 17cm x 12cm 2200 gram collection of cysts from her and doing a radical hysterectomy he did not take the advice of two pathologists and perform further tests. So the cancer cells remained dormant until a trauma reactivated them. Then the hospitals were not much help. I would not send my worst enemy to Medstar Montgomery and would hesitate to send my cats to Howard County General. I should have taken her to Canada.

The detonators she tested were loaded with tritium and it was also kept in the T Building in its gaseous form. They allowed materials and staff to ride in the same elevator yet despite what happened to those Japanese fishermen on the Lucky Dragon (Forget the Japanese name) they still were very cavalier about the effects of radiation. Still waiting for a decision by the Dept of Labor as to her qualifying for remediation under EEOICP.. They admit that she never wore film badges or dosimeters in the four years she was there, but some young smartass at NIOSH has done a dose reconstruction, what I would call a SWAG.

Oddly enough someone submitted her name to a group called the Cold War Patriots who sent me a certificate stating that she is a Founding Member. Whhat really upsets me is that she and the young women she worked with gave their lives for this country but get no recognition. When I think back on it it was mostly young women who did this work, misogyny at work?
powerful post

much respect
Old 05-24-2016, 10:02 AM
Resident octogenarian

I wonder just how many of these women will be honored on Memorial Day, how many will even be remembered? They gave their lives for this country as surely as if they had been shot on the front lines - and that would have been a kinder death.

Over the course of three months I watched her die, helpless to do anything. She started out at 5'-2" and 130 pounds and was 4'-10" and less than 105 pounds at her death.

It was only by Divine Providence that I was by her side when she passed into the light.

Last edited by merrylander; 05-24-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:37 AM
Resident octogenarian

This is only the part of the documentation on the Mound Lab that I have printed out, there is much more on my hard drive. The influence that Monsanto had/has is shown in that some documents had only one revision - that was to remove any mention of Monsanto. I see in the Wash Post that Bayer AG is trying to buy Monsanto.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monsanto2.jpg (51.6 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by merrylander; 05-26-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:53 PM
Resident octogenarian

Today would have been her 81st birthday - damn them