Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Admin

I don't hate anyones faith folks, I'm sorry that some maybe took it that way. I just don't want anyone claiming primacy based on their particular one in the governing of the country. We Christians are an overwhelming majority in this country and should never inject our religious views into the governing of it.
The prohibition against it is in the constitution and as I see it that was a wise choice. The tragic religious wars suffered in England had to be formost in their minds when they authored it.

What scares the hell out of me is someone perverting faith for their own purposes. What sickens me is some who insist on wearing their faith on their sleeves as if it were their favorite sports club. For simple reasons I object to religion in politics and government. I've read enough to see that a faith based government always ends bad for one or more segments of the citizenry. Moslem, Christian, Jew, Buddhist or what have you bigots should stay the hell out of government. There is no way it will not be abused by one sect over another fighting some long forgotten insult or lost battle, therein lies my fears and trepidation.

Religion is almost always a force for good until humans get involved and start monkeying around trying to find imagined insults or transgressions to be righted. I'm not saying religion is the sole cause of genocidal behaviour but it sure is run up the flagpole once the killing starts and perverted to justify it.

I apologize for not making my thoughts clear previously and I hope that this clears up any misconceptions. If not so be it. I do really resent any implication that my faith is any less or any more than anyone elses.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I don't hate anyones faith folks, I'm sorry that some maybe took it that way. I just don't want anyone claiming primacy based on their particular one in the governing of the country. We Christians are an overwhelming majority in this country and should never inject our religious views into the governing of it.
The prohibition against it is in the constitution and as I see it that was a wise choice. The tragic religious wars suffered in England had to be formost in their minds when they authored it.

What scares the hell out of me is someone perverting faith for their own purposes. What sickens me is some who insist on wearing their faith on their sleeves as if it were their favorite sports club. For simple reasons I object to religion in politics and government. I've read enough to see that a faith based government always ends bad for one or more segments of the citizenry. Moslem, Christian, Jew, Buddhist or what have you bigots should stay the hell out of government. There is no way it will not be abused by one sect over another fighting some long forgotten insult or lost battle, therein lies my fears and trepidation.

Religion is almost always a force for good until humans get involved and start monkeying around trying to find imagined insults or transgressions to be righted. I'm not saying religion is the sole cause of genocidal behaviour but it sure is run up the flagpole once the killing starts and perverted to justify it.

I apologize for not making my thoughts clear previously and I hope that this clears up any misconceptions. If not so be it. I do really resent any implication that my faith is any less or any more than anyone elses.
+2. Very well stated.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Actually, no witches were burned in the Colonies. Tried and hanged or imprisoned but not burned.
Sources, please!
Old 06-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

What! If your belief is one jot or tittle different than mine, you're a heathen who wants to destroy America.

Jeez I can't help it Bob. It's the soap!

Do we have overtly Christian laws? I think yes, but as a floor as mentioned, kinda ingrained into society, so accepted as decency we don't even see them that way. Ask a Muslim. But we don't require anyone to be a Christian (except the President!).

I Thank God that here we can vote our conscience with no restraint. For now.

Pete
Old 06-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Admin

Blessed be. Is there any room for Wiccans? There's a litmus test for ya.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

So that's Obamas' REAL religion?? I knew it!!

I hate to say this, but the wiccans I've met (all girls, don't know why) are kinda strange. Not to say all are, I haven't met them all. The last one did say spells don't work for some reason. I found it (very) humorous but kept it to myself

Pete
Old 06-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Resident octogenarian

I think it was a Wiccan bumper sticker that said;

God is coming down here, and boy is She pissed.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

That explains it!

Pete
Old 06-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Loyal Opposition

The malevolence that too many exhibit toward Muslims is entirely contrary to who we are as a people. Granted, the malevolence that many Muslims exhibit toward the US and towards some of their own neighbors is not what we would want to stand for either.

The current bad experiences of some people in the middle east from religious extremists, the horrible suffering caused by the crusades, the witch trials, and the purported biblical justification for slavery are just a few of the examples of why mixing dogma and government is a bad idea.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 06-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I understand you and agree, that we should treat people with kindness. From what I can see there's many muslims that are just trying to get by and do right as they see it. However government divorced from religion was also a disaster.

I think it comes down to, as bad as it is, people are a disaster. We're just lucky to be born where and when we were.

Pete