Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:19 PM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I made about a little over 100,000 dollars last year, including my wife's salary from her job. I paid around $13,000 Federal and around $2000 or $3,000 state. Where do you get 33% on $50,000? Even if you do not own a house it is not that high on $50,000. I figured I paid around 14-15%

Yes health care is expensive but getting rid of Obamacare will not make it cheaper.
I said to the government, not just income taxes. I pay Oregon income tax and Washington sales tax. There are also property taxes, vehicle registration fees, taxes on phone, cable, internet, etc. Utility taxes. Take some time to add up all the miscellaneous fees and taxes that get paid besides income. Most of them are not income based, so in essence are a larger percentage of a lower income.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Area Man

Except most of those other taxes and fees are based on usage. The more crap you have, and the higher value it has, the more you pay. Lower income generally means you have less crap of lower value and therefore pay less. Unless, of course you are living way beyond your means....................

Dave
Old 10-05-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
I said to the government, not just income taxes. I pay Oregon income tax and Washington sales tax. There are also property taxes, vehicle registration fees, taxes on phone, cable, internet, etc. Utility taxes. Take some time to add up all the miscellaneous fees and taxes that get paid besides income. Most of them are not income based, so in essence are a larger percentage of a lower income.
You forgot tax on tax.

Chas
Old 10-05-2013, 11:37 PM

Maybe I paid about 2 thousand in property tax
Maybe $350 for both cars registration fees

still way under 33%

I mean I could add up all the fuel taxes and sales tax but why bother...life is too short.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:40 PM

Plus homeowners get a tax subsidy and itemize on top of everything else.....so it is not like we are totally raped....
Old 10-06-2013, 06:59 AM

Do we not reap returns from the taxes paid? Nothing in life is free after all. But once money makes it into ones pocket the harder it is to take out again.

My only grip is the lack of an independent nonpartisan oversight of our tax dollars spent.

Barney
Old 10-06-2013, 09:39 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
Maybe I paid about 2 thousand in property tax
Maybe $350 for both cars registration fees

still way under 33%

I mean I could add up all the fuel taxes and sales tax but why bother...life is too short.
Kind of goes to my original point. It wasn't an exact figure i was trying to but on it, but they keep adding taxes here and there and people don't even realize it or care. I could throw auto insurance in as a tax since it is government mandated and I didn't toss that figure in under medical premiums. The whole premise is that taxes and insurance, whether you feel they are good or bad, are killing the middle class because it is such a huge chunk of their income. Life may be too short for you to add up fuel taxes, but at 75 cents/gallon in my state, that adds up to a pretty significant chunk of change annually.

Quote:
Plus homeowners get a tax subsidy and itemize on top of everything else.....so it is not like we are totally raped....
Some of us get raped. I don't get to write off Washington sales tax to the Fed because I write off my Oregon income tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Except most of those other taxes and fees are based on usage. The more crap you have, and the higher value it has, the more you pay. Lower income generally means you have less crap of lower value and therefore pay less. Unless, of course you are living way beyond your means....................

Dave
Depends on where you live. Some states base auto registration on the value of the vehicle, others have a standardized fee. When I lived in Oregon, I paid registration every two years and it was less than half the cost of registering here in WA where we do it annually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Do we not reap returns from the taxes paid? Nothing in life is free after all. But once money makes it into ones pocket the harder it is to take out again.

My only grip is the lack of an independent nonpartisan oversight of our tax dollars spent.

Barney
I agree. If I thought the money was being spent wisely, I wouldn't have as much of a problem. I just know there is a lot of waste in all areas of government and rather than budget wisely, they would prefer to just take more from us.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:09 AM

Time to move back to OR Marc?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post

Depends on where you live. Some states base auto registration on the value of the vehicle, others have a standardized fee. When I lived in Oregon, I paid registration every two years and it was less than half the cost of registering here in WA where we do it annually.
In Virginia, we do both. You must pay the car tax (% of assessed value) after you pay registration fees. VA has been, off and on, a red state after all.

Anyhow, my point was in the number and value of vehicles owned. Obviously a family that owns one ten year old minivan, pays less vehicle related taxes and fees than a man with five nice vehicles in his garage. Ergo, the more you have, the more you pay.

Last edited by BlueStreak; 10-06-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:02 PM

I bet the tax rate in Somalia is pretty low....sorry to go nuclear on you guys.