Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:42 PM

I am reading Anna Karenin still.....I only have 200 pages left.
I am almost done with Foundation and Empire, then will start Second Foundation

I picked up The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maughm at Savers..... I love that guy.
Have read Razors Edge, Of Human Bondage, and the book about Gauguin Three Moon and Sixpence.

Are the Foundation books written after the Second Foundation (the prequels) any good?

so after Anna will tackle War and Peace.

Anna Karenin is sort of like a Russian version of Downton Abbey without the servants point of view (or more aptly the reverse of what I just said since Tolstoy came first).
Old 09-06-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
I actually read that one when I was in high school. The majority of my friends when I was around 17 were all 10 years older than me and top security clearance McDonald Douglas engineers with the exception of one that was a civilian engineer that worked for the MIC on "Black Hawk & Chinook helicopters, that's all I can say" ( and still does). most, save for the latter, gave up as their personal beliefs contradicted what they were doing professionally ( ie, designing killing machines)

It was something trying to keep up with them both on an intellectual and partying front. Just imagine 27 year old's with more money then they knew what to do with....
I knew you had a connection somewhere to the dark side. I guess I am a member of the dark side...I have been working for the US Navy since 1988....

wow
maybe I am not as cool as I thought I was lol
Old 09-06-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I am reading Anna Karenin still.....I only have 200 pages left.
I am almost done with Foundation and Empire, then will start Second Foundation

I picked up The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maughm at Savers..... I love that guy.
Have read Razors Edge, Of Human Bondage, and the book about Gauguin Three Moon and Sixpence.

Are the Foundation books written after the Second Foundation (the prequels) any good?

so after Anna will tackle War and Peace.

Anna Karenin is sort of like a Russian version of Downton Abbey without the servants point of view (or more aptly the reverse of what I just said since Tolstoy came first).
Nice,

I also read the Foundation Series (and a few other Asimov books) in high school. I didn't read much until I was about 16, then I hit a spurt for a few years and it's been pretty slow since. Wish I was a faster reader with a better attention span.....
Old 09-07-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Nice,

I also read the Foundation Series (and a few other Asimov books) in high school. I didn't read much until I was about 16, then I hit a spurt for a few years and it's been pretty slow since. Wish I was a faster reader with a better attention span.....
I have the same problem...I could never read fast...I actually quit Foundation back when I was a teenager. Working in Cali with a 90 mile round trip commute makes it hard. Early in the morning I try to read 10 pages when I get to work. Better to do it that way than not at all.

When I was in Iraq I had so much downtime I read books like I did back before I was married. I want to get back to that pace.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I have the same problem...I could never read fast...I actually quit Foundation back when I was a teenager. Working in Cali with a 90 mile round trip commute makes it hard. Early in the morning I try to read 10 pages when I get to work. Better to do it that way than not at all.

When I was in Iraq I had so much downtime I read books like I did back before I was married. I want to get back to that pace.
I guess I should give it a try. I like short stories (hence the Lovecraft) as it did not take so long to get through.

I will say that Michael Moorcock's "Elric Saga" was a series that grabbed me and did not let me go until I was done. It did not take log to finish either. Six or seven books total.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:04 AM

Quote:
I guess I should give it a try. I like short stories (hence the Lovecraft) as it did not take so long to get through.

I will say that Michael Moorcock's "Elric Saga" was a series that grabbed me and did not let me go until I was done. It did not take log to finish either. Six or seven books total.
I read some of the Elric stuff but cannot remember it. Nine Princes In Amber by Roger Zelazny is pretty good. Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever is pretty good....it is by Stephen R Donaldson...the middle book of the first trilogy The Illearth War was really good...I did not read the second trilogy.

The HBO series Game of Thrones is really good...makes me want to give George R R Martin a try.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:42 PM

Old 10-31-2013, 02:22 PM

Finished Second Foundation

perhaps Kipling's Stalkey and Co next.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I used to get Asimovs' monthly mag, in one column he said 'I've written so many books for so long I don't remember a lot of them, I have to read them to see how they end'

Pete
Old 10-31-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I used to get Asimovs' monthly mag, in one column he said 'I've written so many books for so long I don't remember a lot of them, I have to read them to see how they end'

Pete
me too

back in the 70s I was a subscriber.....
it was sort of modeled on the Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine that was popular.

I was with Fantasy and Science Fiction also...but I never really read most of the stories. I do remember a story called Jeffty Is Five by Harlan Ellison...another Ohio boy too