Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
With all do respect from a FAR RIGHTY, desertification is causing problems. Plant transpiration allows moisture to be drawn up into the air. Also, deserts blow dry & than blow away.
The speed in which the world's deserts are spreading is scary. If this continues, we will have no soil left...or rain for that matter. If you personally consider this "climate change" is up to you.
Just saying.
Well I believe in the fact that the world is overpopulated.
We were able to over populate when we started to exploit fossil fuels.

And to think we can shift what the planet wants to do because of the population growth is absurd. Everything is overexploited and human action creates a reaction.

There isn't anything that we can do to change the climate, the planet will do that. We are able to live in this period of the planets life because of the worming. That said the best thing we could do for human life is to reduce the population. I personally would say at least in half. Im sure numbers will be reduced soon enough, war and starvation will be here at some point.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
And your basis for rejecting the scientific evidence - it that based on your review of any of the literature - or is it based on Fox News saying it ain't so?

In my view, opinions should follow analysis. When I provide a legal opinion, I review the facts, then research and analyze the law, and then applying the law to the facts, I provide an opinion. I find that when one pulls an opinion out of one's ass, it generally stinks.

Regards,

D-Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2-7 View Post

And to think we can shift what the planet wants to do because of the population growth is absurd. Everything is overexploited and human action creates a reaction.

There isn't anything that we can do to change the climate, the planet will do that. We are able to live in this period of the planets life because of the worming. That said the best thing we could do for human life is to reduce the population. I personally would say at least in half. Im sure numbers will be reduced soon enough, war and starvation will be here at some point.
Read the above carefully, again. I know you skipped it the first time.
Key sentence is "opinions follow analysis".

And,
what is this? "We were able to over populate when we started to exploit fossil fuels."
Or this?, "That said the best thing we could do for human life is to reduce the population."
Old 02-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
Read the above carefully, again. I know you skipped it the first time.
Key sentence is "opinions follow analysis".

And,
what is this? "We were able to over populate when we started to exploit fossil fuels."
Or this?, "That said the best thing we could do for human life is to reduce the population."
You do not understand the sentences I formed.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:19 PM

No I really do not, but then your explanations could be torturous.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
No I really do not, but then your explanations could be torturous.
Short and simple.
Fossil fuels create energy that we use to boost the production and efficiency of humans.
There is thousands of reasons and uses from prolonging life to feeding more lives.

But I made a promise short and simple.

Last edited by 4-2-7; 02-19-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2-7 View Post

All we have to do is get back to doing things the right way. We waste so much water using fertilizer, fungicide (That one is unreal!), glyphosate, & constant tilling on dead soil to eat crap, it's just insane. Combine that with the genus of government, throw in a sprinkle of crony capitalism (Monsanto), & you end up with California & it's parched Central Valley...and this is just the beginning. It's not climate change, it's not drought, the problem is us allowing these outdated, poisoned, & frankly unethical food production models to continue. Good soil requires 50% less water & improves the earth for us, for wildlife, & for future generations. It's also a real good idea IMO to pass on these skills.

If for any reason you think this is some paranoid Hippy shit, you couldn't be more wrong. This is a ...no, the only way to fix the earth & stop the unhealthy condition that the US population in particular is in. We know what the problem is, lets not play politics or bury our heads in the sand & give up. We have a responsibility to our land. We don't own it, we just become the stewards of it for a while.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
All we have to do is get back to doing things the right way. We waste so much water using fertilizer, fungicide (That one is unreal!), glyphosate, & constant tilling on dead soil to eat crap, it's just insane. Combine that with the genus of government, throw in a sprinkle of crony capitalism (Monsanto), & you end up with California & it's parched Central Valley...and this is just the beginning. It's not climate change, it's not drought, the problem is us allowing these outdated, poisoned, & frankly unethical food production models to continue. Good soil requires 50% less water & improves the earth for us, for wildlife, & for future generations. It's also a real good idea IMO to pass on these skills.

If for any reason you think this is some paranoid Hippy shit, you couldn't be more wrong. This is a ...no, the only way to fix the earth & stop the unhealthy condition that the US population in particular is in. We know what the problem is, lets not play politics or bury our heads in the sand & give up. We have a responsibility to our land. We don't own it, we just become the stewards of it for a while.
I agree we have turned soil to dirt by trying to boost crop production. The soil would be better off if we bottled our pee to feed nutrients back into it. I'm no scientist on soil and it's needs but heared this would help.

The point is the population is overwhelming resources and condition of the resource. This in fact will reduce population at some point. The earth will dictate a reaction to our actions. We could turn off the oil spigot and billions will die and the earth will scrub itself.

http://aheadoftheherd.com/Newsletter...rab-Spring.htm

"The power of population is indefinitely greater than the power in the earth to produce subsistence for man". Thomas Robert Malthus

It is estimated that the population of the world reached:
One billion in 1804
Two billion in 1927
Three billion in 1960
Four billion in 1974
Five billion in 1987
Six billion in 1999
The second half of the 20th century saw the biggest increase in the world’s population in human history. Our population surged because:
Medical advances lessened the mortality rate in many countries
Massive increases in agricultural productivity because of the “Green Revolution”
The global death rate has dropped almost continuously since the start of the industrial revolution - personal hygiene, improved methods of sanitation and the development of antibiotics have all played a major role.

The world's population was said to have reached 7 billion on October 31, 2011 and is estimated to hit the eight billion mark by 2030.

By 2050, the world's population is expected to reach around nine billion - minimum and maximum projections range from 7.4 billion to 10.6 billion.

By the mid 2060s it’s possible that 11.4 billion people will inhabit this planet.

The term Green Revolution refers to a series of research, development, and technology transfers that happened between the 1940s and the late 1970s.
The initiatives involved:
Development of high yielding varieties of cereal grains
Expansion of irrigation infrastructure
Modernization of management techniques
Mechanization
Distribution of hybridized seeds, synthetic fertilizers, and pesticides to farmers
All these new technologies increased global agriculture production with the full effects starting to be felt in the 1960s. The Green Revolution's use of hybrid seeds, irrigation, chemical fertilizers, pesticides, fossil fuels, farm machinery, and high-tech growing and processing systems combined to greatly increase agriculture yields. The Green Revolution is responsible for feeding billions - and likely enabling the birth of billions more people.

Cereal production more than doubled in developing nations - yields of rice, maize, and wheat increased steadily. Between 1950 and 1984 world grain production increased by over 250% - and the world added a couple more billion people to the dinner table.

Unfortunately the high yield growth is tapering off and in some cases declining. This is in large part because of an increase in the price of fertilizers, other chemicals and fossil fuels, but also because the overuse of chemicals has exhausted the soil and irrigation has depleted water aquifers.

“World agricultural markets have become so finely balanced between supply and demand that local disruptions can have a major impact on the global prices of the affected commodities and then reverberate throughout the entire food chain.” HSBC report
Old 02-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Banned

Pee has nothing to do with it. It's nitrogen...that's it.
I'm confused. You claim population growth is wiping out resources. How about we take some of this manpower (Natural Resources) & green the deserts? Hell, you show population growth in the 20th century & never even included the Dirty 30's dust bowel. Do you think overpopulation was a problem on the plains & that's what created that desert? Is overpopulation destroying Cali's farming industry? I guess it was overpopulation that wiped out the Bison also?
Using all the chemicals (you missed many) is about profit. All it does is treat the land like an instant teller machine. We withdrew all of the top soil & returned nothing.

Irrigation infrastructure? Why did we need that? Did we need to use 50% more water than required to crop? Was there drought or did the farmers want to make a fast buck? Ever heard of swales? Maybe the poor farmers didn't know what good soil looked like? Maybe they never heard of mulch? Maybe they didn't know you can trap water? I guess it was easier to just move on when all the microbes were killed off...? What about the water tables? Did these people think that ground water was inexhaustible? I guess when a well dropped or went dry, they thought it was only that hole?

So now that we are running out of water, the deserts are spreading like fire, the products nutritional value is at best 60% of what it was 40 Yrs. ago, we have to gene splice to have productive plants immune to glyphosate (WTF happened to hybrids?), & we need fungicides, & bacteria killers when these two organisms are what soil is . If I understand you correctly, the best way to go is to continue these farming methods & hope people stop having kids? The way I see it, we stole good earth from all of these future kids & gave them worthless dust to live off of. Don't concern yourself with government spending...Federal Reserve Notes or Gold won't feed your family.

Do you farm? I'm curious because I use Permaculture not only to provide sustainable abundance, but to make money. My wife & I have created awesome properties using these technics & sold them for a nice profit. I used to be afraid to call myself an environmentalist because the Right called me a hippy, the Left hated me because I use non-native species, & the farmers fear anyone who grows a better product because they know that the market for local, fresh, nutritious, & abundant food is in vogue & demand will continue to grow. I've even started a 1 acre Jujube grove to supply the local Asian restaurants who will pay me much much more than what they pay for commercial grown & even come pick up the product themselves! My trees don't require irrigation either, even in this horrible drought!

It would take hours to address this issue in the proper way. Health, corruption, farm bills, methanol, & so much more would be included into an in-depth explanation of why commercial farming sucks & why Permaculture must be the future.
In the end, overpopulation is not the problem nor is it an excuse for stupidity or insane actions like continuing the same practices that are killing us.

Last edited by djv8ga; 02-20-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Pee has nothing to do with it. It's nitrogen...that's it.
I'm confused. You claim population growth is wiping out resources. How about we take some of this manpower (Natural Resources) & green the deserts? Hell, you show population growth in the 20th century & never even included the Dirty 30's dust bowel. Do you think overpopulation was a problem on the plains & that's what created that desert? Is overpopulation destroying Cali's farming industry? I guess it was overpopulation that wiped out the Bison also?
Using all the chemicals (you missed many) is about profit. All it does is treat the land like an instant teller machine. We withdrew all of the top soil & returned nothing.

Irrigation infrastructure? Why did we need that? Did we need to use 50% more water than required to crop? Was there drought or did the farmers want to make a fast buck? Ever heard of swales? Maybe the poor farmers didn't know what good soil looked like? Maybe they never heard of mulch? Maybe they didn't know you can trap water? I guess it was easier to just move on when all the microbes were killed off...? What about the water tables? Did these people think that ground water was inexhaustible? I guess when a well dropped or went dry, they thought it was only that hole?

So now that we are running out of water, the deserts are spreading like fire, the products nutritional value is at best 60% of what it was 40 Yrs. ago, we have to gene splice to have productive plants immune to glyphosate (WTF happened to hybrids?), & we need fungicides, & bacteria killers when these two organisms are what soil is . If I understand you correctly, the best way to go is to continue these farming methods & hope people stop having kids? The way I see it, we stole good earth from all of these future kids & gave them worthless dust to live off of. Don't concern yourself with government spending...Federal Reserve Notes or Gold won't feed your family.

Do you farm? I'm curious because I use Permaculture not only to provide sustainable abundance, but to make money. My wife & I have created awesome properties using these technics & sold them for a nice profit. I used to be afraid to call myself an environmentalist because the Right called me a hippy, the Left hated me because I use non-native species, & the farmers fear anyone who grows a better product because they know that the market for local, fresh, nutritious, & abundant food is in vogue & demand will continue to grow. I've even started a 1 acre Jujube grove to supply the local Asian restaurants who will pay me much much more than what they pay for commercial grown & even come pick up the product themselves! My trees don't require irrigation either, even in this horrible drought!

It would take hours to address this issue in the proper way. Health, corruption, farm bills, methanol, & so much more would be included into an in-depth explanation of why commercial farming sucks & why Permaculture must be the future.
In the end, overpopulation is not the problem nor is it an excuse for stupidity or insane actions like continuing the same practices that are killing us.
That is a helluva accomplishment. What you are doing is demonstrating the positive aspects of capitalism. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like your first motivation was to produce products in a sustainable way. You took the time to figure that out. You didn't take shortcuts, but took the time to do it right and produce excellence. As a result, you are reaping a reward. What you have done is infinitely more valuable than determining how to manipulate wealth for wealth's sake.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-20-2014, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
That is a helluva accomplishment. What you are doing is demonstrating the positive aspects of capitalism. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like your first motivation was to produce products in a sustainable way. You took the time to figure that out. You didn't take shortcuts, but took the time to do it right and produce excellence. As a result, you are reaping a reward. What you have done is infinitely more valuable than determining how to manipulate wealth for wealth's sake.

Regards,

D-Ray
Yes. I have a little Prepper in me & that got me thinking. Storing food is not a long term solution & does nothing for your wallet or taste buds. I discovered Permaculture & was blown away with what is possible in horrible deserts & became addicted.