Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
Sure you can, it you chop them up small enough.....
Yeah, but where do you mount the ladder racks?

Chas
Old 01-13-2014, 07:00 PM
Admin

Ford F150 Aluminium

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...#axzz2qKWq9kkK
Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 PM
Area Man

An aluminum pick up?

MISTAKE.

Even 6061 aircraft grade aluminum dents too easily to be used in a work truck.

Dave
Old 01-13-2014, 07:50 PM
reflexionar

I was bending some titanium this morning that had dents in it. Bending 4" x .049" wall titanium tube on a 4 1/2" centerline radius was not my idea of a good time today.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Area Man

People have some weird misconceptions about these metals. They have their specialized uses that they work very well in.

The trick is found here: "Pound for pound, stronger than steel."

However;

A pound of aluminum is a whole lot more material than a pound of steel. The aluminum on that truck would have to be pretty thick to match the strength and dent resistance of steel. And, it they're doing it to reduce vehicle weight.......Guess what?

Dave
Old 01-13-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
People have some weird misconceptions about these metals. They have their specialized uses that they work very well in.

The trick is found here: "Pound for pound, stronger than steel."

However;

A pound of aluminum is a whole lot more material than a pound of steel. The aluminum on that truck would have to be pretty thick to match the strength and dent resistance of steel. And, it they're doing it to reduce vehicle weight.......Guess what?

Dave
It'll wrinkle like foil if it's not thicker nuff. And if they are doing it to reduce weight it's not going to match that pound for pound strength. And though it won't rust like steel, I've seen thin ga. aluminum sheets with holes in them do to corrosion.

Last edited by hillbilly; 01-13-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:20 PM
Ready

Hmmm...my wife had an English Ford with an aluminium body way back when, before we were married. I saw it in the late 70's and it was old then. Looked good--none of the rust you expected in those days, and no particular signs of body weakness.

Can't say if was lightweight. I had the idea that corrosion control was the big benefit.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:55 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
It'll wrinkle like foil if it's not thicker nuff. And if they are doing it to reduce weight it's not going to match that pound for pound strength. And though it won't rust like steel, I've seen thin ga. aluminum sheets with holes in them do to corrosion.
Yep.

Oh, aluminum corrodes. It sometimes even corrodes from the inside out in the thick parts. I've seen that. Let it come into direct contact with concrete and watch what happens to it.

Dave
Old 01-13-2014, 11:03 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Hmmm...my wife had an English Ford with an aluminium body way back when, before we were married. I saw it in the late 70's and it was old then. Looked good--none of the rust you expected in those days, and no particular signs of body weakness.

Can't say if was lightweight. I had the idea that corrosion control was the big benefit.
So long as the paint is good, it should be alright. But, that's true of steel too. I saw an old motorcycle once that had aluminum fenders. No major dents, but they were also very thick.

Aluminum doesn't turn brown when it corrodes either. It puts off a white powdery substance and the surface roughens. In extreme cases it exfoilates, the grains separate and pieces flake away.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
An aluminum pick up?

MISTAKE.

Even 6061 aircraft grade aluminum dents too easily to be used in a work truck.

Dave
While reading about the truck it was mentioned that the aluminum alloy used is actually stronger than steel at resisting dents.

Undoubtedly the durability of the all aluminum truck was top of mind when developing it as that would make or break the truck. And when you've got the best selling vehicle 30 years running, you don't make changes like this lightly.

Last edited by MrPots; 01-14-2014 at 11:04 AM.