Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:05 PM

I see, you are a folk hero if you are a billionaire gaming the tax system for a great many millions. But if you work 2 jobs to only make 20,000 a year to provide for a family of four you are a parasite for getting food stamps to make sure the kids are fed.
How stupid of me.

Carl
Old 10-30-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
Chrysler CEO Marchionne clarifies the story today.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2Anro2Sbh
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE
So the Wrangler models are the only ones they've committed to continue making here... and not necessarily all of them. Last May, the best month ever for Wrangler sales, they still represented only 10.4% of vehicles sold by Jeep.
Assembly lines will keep running here, but at what capacity?
Lots of wiggle room in this press statement.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
So the Wrangler models are the only ones they've committed to continue making here... and not necessarily all of them. Last May, the best month ever for Wrangler sales, they still represented only 10.4% of vehicles sold by Jeep.
It looks like wiggle room to you, but it's not. The employees in Ohio know what is going on.

Here is a portion of Marchione's e-mail to employees earlier today.

Quote:
In an e-mail to employees, the chief executive, Sergio Marchionne, said that Jeep’s commitment to the United States was unequivocal. “I feel obliged to unambiguously restate our position: Jeep production will not be moved from the United States to China,” he wrote. “It is inaccurate to suggest anything different.”
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ving-to-china/

Romney is intentionally making a mess and that's not a presidential quality.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Admin

I don't see any wiggle room at all. I see Romney once again as a blatant liar who'll do anything or say anything to get into the White House. I'm with Ed, not presidential at all and I doubt that Ohioans will be fooled by it, even if he offered $10,000 cash to every undecided voter in the state.

Correction- cash offer would be in company store scrip

GM spokesman
"GM has long built cars in China for consumers, and Chrysler previously built Jeeps in China. It is true that GM has cut jobs since 2008, but it might not be in business if Obama hadn't agreed to a $50 billion bailout. The U.S. job cuts had nothing to do with China, but with shrinking GM in order to restore profitability."

"At this stage, we're looking at Hubble telescope-length distances between campaign ads and reality. GM's creating jobs in the U.S. and repatriating profits back to this country should be a source of bipartisan pride," GM spokesman Greg Martin said. "We've clearly entered some parallel universe during these last few days. No amount of campaign politics at its cynical worst will diminish our record of creating jobs in the U.S. and repatriating profits back to this country."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2ApMlUMj4
Old 10-30-2012, 06:49 PM

Looks like we got birther Version II going here. Keep denying and it will come true.

Carl
Old 10-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Are you actually trying to defend that four pinnochio, pants on fire, whopper?

BTW, Jeep has plans to add 1100 jobs in Ohio in 2013. The company is also making several models in the US.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-30-2012, 07:49 PM

In D-Ray's link there is a statement that is loaded, but it's not about building Jeep vehicles in the USA.

Here is the statement:
Quote:
Chrysler Group is interested in expanding the customer base for our award-winning Jeep vehicles [in China], which can only be done by establishing local production.
That statement is loaded because it hints at how uneven the playing field is between China and US. When China entered the WTO in 2001 it was obligated to drop local content requirements. So far it has not completely done so. That is why, as a practical matter, if a US firm want to sell in China it must also build in China.

Here is an article on the topic. Note that is written by a Chinese author. He says sure, we still require local content, but don't worry about it. Even if we steal your intellectual property we will never catch up to your awesomeness.

http://www.globalpolicyjournal.com/b...ic-development

Yeah, right. Wink, wink back atcha. What a punk.

This is the sort of game that Trump is referring to when he says that the USA is crazy for engaging in unfettered free trade with China while they are engaging in strategic trade with us. I must agree with him on that point.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
This is the sort of game that Trump is referring to when he says that the USA is crazy for engaging in unfettered free trade with China while they are engaging in strategic trade with us. I must agree with him on that point.
Perhaps, but that message needs a far better messenger.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Perhaps, but that message needs a far better messenger.
Unfortunately it appears that he is the only one we have so far. This is a story that just isn't getting out.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:39 AM
Resident octogenarian

If it is any use to bother writing this, my last employment was with a software company that did VOiP software. They were bought out by a large Texas company that rushed to do business in China. Despite anything they may have promised the WTO you still have to follow their rules (not the WTO's) to do business in China. Now if you don't mind having all your intellectual propery stolen or reverse engineered keep doing business with them. That said they still can't build a jet engine worth chit.