Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:26 PM
Area Man

1st Amendment Violation?

So, would it be "...making a law respecting an establishment of religion..." to require that license plates bear the words, "In God we Trust"? And requiring those who don't want it there to pay extra to cover it up?

http://au.org/blogs/legislative/geor...license-plates

I think if your using financial pressure, or any other government backed fiat, to push religion, at the very least, you are crossing the line every bit as egregiously as Atheists who throw a fit and file suits over nativity scenes.

Worship (Or not.) as you wish, leave others to freely choose their own path. It's really very simple.

Why can't people figure that out?

Maybe they're afraid that if they allow this freedom, that their religion will fade out and cease to exist due to a lack of interest?

I think so.

Dave
Old 11-30-2011, 06:33 AM

The only thing I would allow to be written on a license plate beyond the classification, identifying number, state, and date of expiration would be "Tax Receipt".

That's all they are.

Chas
Old 11-30-2011, 07:43 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The only thing I would allow to be written on a license plate beyond the classification, identifying number, state, and date of expiration would be "Tax Receipt".

That's all they are.

Chas
Correct. And so are the registration tags I pay $29 a year for and the safety inspection that costs $16 a year, and of course we can't forget the 4% property tax...............Welcome to Virginia, deep, vibrant red, true patriotic republicans who believe in low taxation. (But, only for billionaires and churches. Taxes are for the little people.)

Speaking of taxes; Maybe if we reminded the religious folk of their organizations tax free status and suggest that if they want to gain political power that their church should pony up? I can hear the preachers howling and screaming cries of "SATAN!!!" now.

Dave
Old 11-30-2011, 11:29 AM

I'm sure Republicans oppose it, since it is a tax.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

It says In God We Trust on money? On monuments. Heck in this country it's everywhere.

Pete
Old 11-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Resident octogenarian

they need to add the rest - "In God we trust, everybody else pays cash."
Old 11-30-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Correct. And so are the registration tags I pay $29 a year for and the safety inspection that costs $16 a year, and of course we can't forget the 4% property tax...............Welcome to Virginia, deep, vibrant red, true patriotic republicans who believe in low taxation. (But, only for billionaires and churches. Taxes are for the little people.)

Speaking of taxes; Maybe if we reminded the religious folk of their organizations tax free status and suggest that if they want to gain political power that their church should pony up? I can hear the preachers howling and screaming cries of "SATAN!!!" now.

Dave
$29.00? You'd really hate California's. I just paid mine for my ten year old vehicle. It was $289.00 plus the $65.00 for the mandated smog check.

I'd think that the slogan on the license is "push back" against the anti-religion groups that insist on eliminating all religious symbolism in the public arena. I think the motivation itself undermines the legitimacy of their argument. "In God We Trust" ought not be on any license plate. Given the sordid state of the world, I'm not sure I'd place much trust in God.

Last edited by bhunter; 11-30-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
It says In God We Trust on money? On monuments. Heck in this country it's everywhere.

Pete
Correct. Therefore, I believe that the phrase "In God We Trust" has become a "cultural icon", just like the Christmas tree. Therefore, there should be no objection to Georgia wishing to imprint a cultural icon on its license plates. If someone objects the the cultural icon on their license plate, why should tax payers be forced to foot the bill to cover up the icon? Let the individual who objects pay to cover it up.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
$29.00? You'd really hate California's. I just paid mine for my ten year old vehicle. It was $289.00 plus the $65.00 for the mandated smog check.

I'd think that the slogan on the license is "push back" against the anti-religion groups that insist on eliminating all religious symbolism in the public arena. I think the motivation itself undermines the legitimacy of their argument. "In God We Trust" ought not be on any license plate. Given the sordid state of the world, I'm not sure I'd place much trust in God.
My property tax for both vehicles last year came to almost $1,200.

Dave
Old 11-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Correct. Therefore, I believe that the phrase "In God We Trust" has become a "cultural icon", just like the Christmas tree. Therefore, there should be no objection to Georgia wishing to imprint a cultural icon on its license plates. If someone objects the the cultural icon on their license plate, why should tax payers be forced to foot the bill to cover up the icon? Let the individual who objects pay to cover it up.
It is not a "cultural icon", it is a religious statement. If you want "In God We Trust" on your plates, buy a Sharpie and scrawl it on there. I won't complain, because it didn't cost me anything. Write anything you want on your plates for all I care. "Career Corporate Stooge", might be a good one for Republicans.

If you want to erect a twenty ton granite Ten Commandments tablet on your own property, at your own expense, by all means---make it happen.

It's when you use public facilities and public money to advance your religious views, or the lack thereof as the case may be, that a line, (Oh, excuse me. I believe the historic term is "Wall".) is crossed.

Dave