Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:13 PM
Banned

Restoring China's Loess Plateau

Awesome project! It's amazing how uninformed people are when it comes to the work China is doing to combat desertification by creating sustainable systems.
http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/fea...-loess-plateau
Old 02-13-2016, 12:29 AM
Area Man

Yes, this is amazing stuff and good to see.

I'd like to see how (if?) they tackle the massive industrial pollution their cities are choking on. The pictures coming out of China remind me of Youngstown and Pittsburgh in the 60s and 70s only worse. I'm guessing they won't touch that, because right now, that's the goose with the golden eggs.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

I'd like to see how (if?) they tackle the massive industrial pollution their cities are choking on. The pictures coming out of China remind me of Youngstown and Pittsburgh in the 60s and 70s only worse. I'm guessing they won't touch that, because right now, that's the goose with the golden eggs.
China is making huge strides in both wind and solar energy.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-by-21-in-2016
Old 02-13-2016, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

I'm not sure.

I've posted before how they've made desertification their #1 priority.
They, like most of the world (& myself), believe the only way to battle carbon is to sequester it back in the ground & bring the air/ground % back into balance. They also need to eat which tends to sway their priorities.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
I'm not sure.

I've posted before how they've made desertification their #1 priority.
They, like most of the world (& myself), believe the only way to battle carbon is to sequester it back in the ground & bring the air/ground % back into balance. They also need to eat which tends to sway their priorities.
Growing green vegetables is ine way of putting CO2 back in the ground. Reducing the amount of meat in our diet is a way of keeping it out og the atmosphere.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Growing green vegetables is ine way of putting CO2 back in the ground. Reducing the amount of meat in our diet is a way of keeping it out og the atmosphere.
Those ranchers in Oregon that were busted for "burning weeds" need to understand the damage they are causing by their idiotic land practices.
Everybody, regardless of their politics, needs to embrace sustainable farming & ranching practices.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Those ranchers in Oregon that were busted for "burning weeds" need to understand the damage they are causing by their idiotic land practices.
Everybody, regardless of their politics, needs to embrace sustainable farming & ranching practices.
Well, they were actually lying when they said they were "burning weeds". They were really destroying evidence of crimes they committed by taking deer out of season in a preserve.

As far as I'm concerned., they deserve the sentence they got [and they deserve getting yanked back into prison after they thought they were done.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Well, they were actually lying when they said they were "burning weeds". They were really destroying evidence of crimes they committed by taking deer out of season in a preserve.
I didn't know that. I stopped following the story after I heard they torched 100+ acres.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:43 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I didn't know that. I stopped following the story after I heard they torched 100+ acres.
The jury convicted both of the Hammonds of using fire to destroy federal property for a 2001 arson known as the Hardie-Hammond Fire, located in the Steens Mountain Cooperative Management and Protection Area. Witnesses at trial, including a relative of the Hammonds, testified the arson occurred shortly after Steven Hammond and his hunting party illegally slaughtered several deer on BLM property. Jurors were told that Steven Hammond handed out “Strike Anywhere” matches with instructions that they be lit and dropped on the ground because they were going to “light up the whole country on fire.” One witness testified that he barely escaped the eight to ten foot high flames caused by the arson. The fire consumed 139 acres of public land and destroyed all evidence of the game violations. After committing the arson, Steven Hammond called the BLM office in Burns, Oregon and claimed the fire was started on Hammond property to burn off invasive species and had inadvertently burned onto public lands. Dwight and Steven Hammond told one of their relatives to keep his mouth shut and that nobody needed to know about the fire.

http://www.justice.gov/usao-or/pr/ea...e-years-prison

It puzzles me why some believe that the Hammonds' sentences were excessive in light of the above.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
The jury convicted both of the Hammonds of using fire to destroy federal property for a 2001 arson known as the Hardie-Hammond Fire, located in the Steens Mountain Cooperative Management and Protection Area. Witnesses at trial, including a relative of the Hammonds, testified the arson occurred shortly after Steven Hammond and his hunting party illegally slaughtered several deer on BLM property. Jurors were told that Steven Hammond handed out “Strike Anywhere” matches with instructions that they be lit and dropped on the ground because they were going to “light up the whole country on fire.” One witness testified that he barely escaped the eight to ten foot high flames caused by the arson. The fire consumed 139 acres of public land and destroyed all evidence of the game violations. After committing the arson, Steven Hammond called the BLM office in Burns, Oregon and claimed the fire was started on Hammond property to burn off invasive species and had inadvertently burned onto public lands. Dwight and Steven Hammond told one of their relatives to keep his mouth shut and that nobody needed to know about the fire.

http://www.justice.gov/usao-or/pr/ea...e-years-prison

It puzzles me why some believe that the Hammonds' sentences were excessive in light of the above.
That's brutal. I would have guessed 10 years or more would've been handed down for that B.S.