Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Resident octogenarian

I sent Mitch an e-mail and told him to do what we are paying him to do. Also told him to stop the reference to Robert Bork because the committee sent his nomination to the floor for a vote which he lost. Told him I remembered that clearly but that since I am only 85 dementia has not set in in my case.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:46 AM

Bork was "Borked" for being an idiologue, yet we get a Scalia and a Thomas instead of a Garland.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Bork was "Borked" for being an idiologue, yet we get a Scalia and a Thomas instead of a Garland.

Specifically, we got Uncle Thomas. It was he whom Reagan nominated after Bork failed to be confirmed. Unintended consequences.

It's important to remember exactly who Bork was. "Highlights of his career include arguing (successfully) before the SCOTUS against the integration of Detroit public schools in Milliken v. Bradley but he orchestrated the "Saturday Night Massacre" wherein Nixon fired Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox because Cox was demanding the release of the White House tapes.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Specifically, we got Uncle Thomas. It was he whom Reagan nominated after Bork failed to be confirmed. Unintended consequences.
Its amazing that you make a remark like that and then turn around and have the audacity to call others racist.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Its amazing that you make a remark like that and then turn around and have the audacity to call others racist.
Only if you don't understand the reference.

Just because I like you so much, I'll give you a little help. Ths use of "Uncle Tom" as an epithet was coined by black people to describe a black who panders to and colludes with the white power structure in ways that are detrimental to his own people. By that definition, "Uncle Thomas" very accurately describes Clarence Thomas.

Last edited by Boreas; 03-17-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I sent Mitch an e-mail and told him to do what we are paying him to do. Also told him to stop the reference to Robert Bork because the committee sent his nomination to the floor for a vote which he lost. Told him I remembered that clearly but that since I am only 85 dementia has not set in in my case.
Thank you for that prompt. I've followed your lead with our own senators.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Once again, Obama is playing chess and the Republican fools on the hill are playing checkers. They can block Obama's eminently qualified moderate nominee, which will cause them to lose votes in November for obstruction and hypocrisy (they voted strongly in favor of seating Garland to the DC circuit). This will increase the (already high) likelihood of Hillary winning and the Senate flipping. If this occurs, Garland is likely to step aside in deference to Hillary's upcoming Presidency and Hillary will appoint a far more liberal justice. The GOP, however, has been very loud about blocking Obama's nominee and are now stuck between a rock and a hard place (giving Garland a hearing or giving Hillary a more liberal nominee). Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of clowns.

A bunch of GOP Senators are already breaking ranks with McConnell.
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...arty-on-scotus

Jeff Flake (R-AZ) also has said he could support hearing after election results are in and if Republicans lose. The White House already said no deal.
Yes, Obama seems to have launched a campaign by gathering some of his heavy hitters.
Quote:
Founded within the last several weeks as a nonprofit organization, the project will accept donations, develop advertising, coordinate messaging, help manage operatives in the field, respond to attacks on Judge Garland and collect opposition research on Republican opponents.
Quote:
The Constitutional Responsibility Project is essentially a miniature version of Obama for America — the formal name of Mr. Obama’s presidential campaign operation — with a more focused mission. And it is a first-ever effort to impose a disciplined, top-down leadership structure on the constellation of liberal organizations that usually wage the fight on behalf of a Democratic court nominee.
This concerted effort to promote a Senate hearing for Judge Garland just as the GOP is imploding should be very interesting. If Obama succeeds, timing could not have been better.

Obama Mobilizes Campaign Veterans to Push for Court Nominee

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/18/us...ie-cutter.html
Old 03-17-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Only if you don't understand the reference.

Just because I like you so much, I'll give you a little help. Ths use of "Uncle Tom" as an epithet was coined by black people to describe a black who panders to and colludes with the white power structure in ways that are detrimental to his own people. By that definition, "Uncle Thomas" very accurately describes Clarence Thomas.
I understand the reference perfectly, and your use of a disparaging reference that has an overt racial component is quite distasteful.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:32 PM

Would "Jewish Nazi" be an improvement?
FWIW, the term "Uncle Tom" is a shameful gross misappropriation of a heroic litarary figure.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I understand the reference perfectly, and your use of a disparaging reference that has an overt racial component is quite distasteful.
Typical right wing bullshit. Any mention of or allusion to racial injustice is itself racist. You're a credit to your race, whell.

How is it racist to use a term coined by African Americans to describe a member of their race who acts against their interests?