Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:39 AM
Loyal Opposition

No CD player?

The lease was up on the Chevy, so we picked out a new one last weekend. Looking over the new models, I found that on most of them, a CD player is not even an option. Times change, man.

I can get music through XM (which I will keep for the free three months), bluetooth, streaming, aux jack, and USB port (besides traditional radio). So I have spent way too much time the past few days ripping CDs and transferring them to flash drives. Then my son told me that I can upload all of the music on my computer to Google Play and stream it for free. So far I have only ripped 45-50 CDs, but I will try my best to navigate this brave new world.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-05-2016, 07:58 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Bluetooth to your smartphone is the way to go IMHO.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:21 AM

Only if you have unlimited data, afaik. Music thru an appliance, no thnx!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2016, 08:27 AM

Everything is being designed so that every time you use it, someone gets paid. You think Google is going to stash your tunes for free?

Similarly like the move to credit cards, going to a cashless society, every time something is bought or sold, the banks get paid.

I do not like this "virtual" society so much. No more photographs, no more private music ownership. What will our ancestors find about us when we are long gone? Nothing. All the family pictures and history was on that old obsolete computer you threw out when you sold the folks house. Those boxes of photographs in the attic will soon be a relic of the past. We will become the invisible society.

Thank God folks are pushing back on e-books....
Old 02-05-2016, 08:57 AM

Brave new world...
yes CD players are going away as more people turn to streaming or media stored on flash drives or to the cloud, whatever that is. I still have CD players in both cars.

Last edited by 68custom; 02-05-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:53 AM

Get a good used Walkman cd player and run through the aux jack or buy an MP3 player or ipod and do the same. My 2010 Honda still has a cd player. I have around 1000 plus cds I doubt I will ever rip them all.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:29 AM

5 years ago you couldn't find a 16/44 flac download, now 24/192 is becoming common. CD's don't offer anything audiowise like records and R2R, they just spin inside a player. I reckon you could playback Hi-Res files through a device in the car where the cd players will only do 16/44 and mp3.

Carl
Old 02-05-2016, 10:37 AM
Ready

Just keep in mind that flash drives are not forever.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
5 years ago you couldn't find a 16/44 flac download, now 24/192 is becoming common. CD's don't offer anything audiowise like records and R2R, they just spin inside a player. I reckon you could playback Hi-Res files through a device in the car where the cd players will only do 16/44 and mp3.

Carl
Yeah but a reel to reel is a pain in the ass and the only decent factory 7 1/2 ISP tapes consist of Lawrence Welk stuff...Columbia did put out some great 7 1/2 ISP back in the 50s and 60s.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Bluetooth to your smartphone is the way to go IMHO.
The flash drives hold a lot more music than the smart phone. I had a lot of music stored on a portable hard drive that the car accepted through the USB port, but it was not organized in a very efficient manner to get to without being distracted from driving. I suppose I should spend a little time putting some playlists together. I had made lots of mix discs before, and the playlists will serve the same purpose.

The wi-fi network in the car was ridiculously expensive - $30/month for 3 gigs of data. My smartphone has unlimited data, so I will obviously not subscribe to Chevy's services.

In any event, NPR has always been one of my favorite things to listen to in the car, so things will not be all that big of a change, I suppose. It just makes me feel old that I remember CDs being a revolutionary new technology - and now they are obsolete. At least I can come home and spin some vinyl.

Regards,

D-Ray.