Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:16 PM

It may be one of the only aptly named proposals with the word "Fair" in it in history. Fat chance it would ever happen, but after much reading, I'm a huge fan of the FairTax.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Resident octogenarian

Now we middle class folks mainly vacation here so we get taxed. The wealthy folk go to the Cote D'Azur and cough up tax on 50% of their airfare and that is it.

They say employees keep all their wages and pensioners keep all their pension, sure if you don't eat, turn off all the lights and freeze in the dark.

Hey, sounds good to me.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:30 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

So it's not "fair" that someone has worked hard and made enough to be able to afford a vacation overseas? For maybe a couple of weeks they won't be paying consumption taxes in the U.S. You don't think that the rest of the year the wealthy consume more than the middle class and make up for it?

You are eating with the lights and heat on now. Whats the difference?

I personally would rather decide how much of my hard earned money goes to taxes (by how much I consume) than the present way of things.

BTW, I am enjoying this conversation with you.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
So it's not "fair" that someone has worked hard and made enough to be able to afford a vacation overseas
I could care less one way or the other but the stereotype that the rich have worked hard and the implied the poor are lazy is just plain bogus. The hardest working people I have ever know have been "dirt" poor and the wealthiest people I know have never sweat in the way theses same poor people have.
Where are all these hard workers? I guess you mean the 9-5 wall street crowd.

I feel better now, go on.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Resident octogenarian

But if the majority of their vacations are off-shore they escape a lot of taxation. BTW do you really believe Paris Hilton worked hard for her money.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:49 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

"the stereotype that the rich have worked hard and the implied the poor are lazy is just plain bogus. "

I agree. Some rich work hard and some don't. Some poor work hard and some don't. I would think that most of the manual labor done is done by what we call the " middle class". That doesn't mean that the more monied don't work hard. It means that they work in a differant manner. I don't know anyone that works on Wall Street but I would bet if you asked one of them, they would say that they work hard. Everyone has a choice of how they will make a living in this country. Some choose to work in a field that doesn't reward as much monetarily but gives satisfaction in other ways. That is their choice. Just as it is the choice of others to go for the money. I am simply trying to say that in my opinion the "Fair Tax" treats everyone the same. If you want to pay a lot in tax, buy a lot of new stuff. If you don't want to pay a lot of tax, buy used stuff.

"But if the majority of their vacations are off-shore they escape a lot of taxation"

Yes, but a years worth?

"BTW do you really believe Paris Hilton worked hard for her money."

I am afraid of using the name Paris Hilton and the word "hard" in the same sentence.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Resident octogenarian

We live well, pay our taxes, we worked our butts off all our lives and plan on enjoying the fruits of our labours.

Deciding that we will never fly again I gave all my miles to a vetrans organization. Marriott said I could convert all my hotel points to vouchers and that came out to $300 worth.

I made out several Christmas cards, one was addressed directly to a Lieutenant who was written up in the Post. Packaged it all and sent it to Walter Reed - got the whole lot back, even the card addressed to the Lieutenant with a note on it "Person not at this facility". Had to practically ram the vouchers down the Red Cross' throat. Yet we have homeless veterans out on the street.

I will cheerfully pay my taxes to see that our wounded warriors are well looked after.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:39 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

I salute you sir for your devotion to the ones that make our way of life possible.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:19 AM

So, I guess none of you guys work for a living? You are all capitalists who make your living by investing your capital? Who else would be so enthusiastic about a plan to shift nearly all the tax burden in the US onto themselves?

I gotta hand it to the super wealthy establishment though. If they can float this lead ball and get this many working stiffs hard over it, they DO have some MoJo.

If you want to get informed on how this "fair tax" screws you - learn which groups and which economists are the watchdogs for working people's economic interests, and see what they have to say about this.
Neal Bortz?? <sigh>
Old 05-28-2009, 09:40 AM

All I needed to know about "Fair Tax" is in this sentence from their website:

Quote:
The FairTax rate of 23% (when calculated inclusively like income tax rates) has been thoroughly researched to provide all the revenues now collected under both the income tax system and through FICA payroll taxes.
I want our Fed and State Governments to STOP SPENDING MY MONEY and get their budgets under control. Any Tax plan that does not include MASSIVE REDUCTIONS in taxation of all types does not meet my approval.

I seem to recall some guys who took matters into their own hands over unfair taxation issues a couple of hundred years ago.
"Ecpyrosis" will not be found in most dictionaries, but it is a philosophical term of the stoics, from the greek "ekpyrosis", and it means: "conflagration; the periodic resolution of all things into fire".