Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:29 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundhound View Post

i am not for or against a female holding a position of high power. i'm more worried about whether or not that person is qualified and capable. both sexes can meet those requirements.

+1

I doubt their is much concern in the sex or color of a candidate anymore.
I am willing to bet even Michelle has seriously adjusted her black/white view. I do think it's ashame it took her husband's election as President to make her understand.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:29 PM

Palin

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Listen closer, I have yet to hear her speak to ANY issue in anything other than sweeping generalities. That is why she was embarrassed in all the post convention interviews. She is upset because not understanding issues had never failed her before and by the end of the campaign she had given up on learning issues and decided she knew better and turned to her folksy cuteness instead of trying to learn facts.

The women actually believed that being governor of a state that boarder on Russian and Canada gave her international experience.
This is the same women who had a witch doctor perform a witch repelling ceremony on her.
the same women who though man and dinosaur walked together.
The same women who shocked the McCain camp with her ignorance of basic geography.
The same women who thinks it a wise idea to have her oldest daughter tour the country with her grandchild to warn of the evils of sex using the poor baby as the negative example (that poor kid, he will be aware of this one day) while representing slutty shoes marketed to young teens.
To this day she is unable to manage her staff and feels compelled to have public feuds with 18 year olds and comedians. That type of immaturity in and of itself is enough to discount her of any serious consideration for anything public.

And let's be clear, she is no victim. The press asks hard questions at that level and her lack of KNOWLEDGE is what got her into trouble. Couric would ask her the same question over and over because no answers were being given and what did she finally say? "I'll get back to ya'."
She is blaming the press for her own shortcomings.

What she is good at is rallying the far right base with emotional rhetoric that is void of substance. Thanks but no thanks, I want facts.

Did she help or hurt McCain?
She hurt him.
Why?
Because she did not expand the base, she simply consolidated a group of voters who would have voted for McCain anyway.
At the same time her folksy rambling message caused critical suburban voters in states like Pa go over to Obama. All polls show she was rejected by college educated suburban centrist voters. Personally I lost much respect for McCain as a result of her inclusion.

Let me ask you:
"she's quicker on her feet"
how do you mean this?

"delivered in spades."
What is it she delivered?

"she's just as smart as any of 'em"
How do you arrive at that?
Well, McCain was going nowhere fast when he threw the long ball (Palin). She may have cost him the educated suburban voters who the polls showed were going for Obama in the 1st place, but she did rally the base, many of whom were considering sitting home.

As to quick on her feet. Have you ever seen Obama when HIS teleprompter goes down? He starts babbling like the cops just took him downtown.

Delivered in spades. She did breathe new life into McCain's campaign at the convention. And the polls showed this.

Just as smart as any of 'em. Well, this is a value judgment on my part. After watching her, McCain, Obama, and Biden beat their gums, she did as well as any of them.

As far as having nothing constructive to say...did you listen to Obama? The bullshit he spit out was right up there with George Bush's "Thousand points of light".

Personally, I don't think that she was the best of the lot, but I don't think she was any worse. As far as that goes, I think Nader was the best of the lot. He's honest to a fault, and when you ask him a question, he can answer with specifics.

But I'm still pissed off at him for killing the Corvair while ignoring the VDubs. The closest I ever came to being killed in an auto was while I was driving a Karman Gia...passed a car in traffic, and when I cut back in that damned transaxle folded up. Took some mighty fancy driving to get that little prick back under control.

Chas
Old 06-13-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
But I'm still pissed off at him for killing the Corvair
I thought I was the only one that still held a grudge against him for that. I like you, Charles.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:22 AM

palin was offered as running mate because it was thought that she would draw hillary voters, and because there really weren't any other attractive alternatives. she was well received at first based on her charm and looks. then she began answering questions. it became quickly apparent to me that she was not qualified for the position. the press did a number on her, for sure, but they really showed that palin was a rookie. i think a lot of other voters came to that conclusion as well. in the end, i believe that voters were turned off by the thought of "8 more years of bush".