Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:14 PM

Just curious (sincerely)

I'm wondering if any Obama voters are re-thinking their vote? It seems to me that he's pretty much living up to his campaign promises, but do they still seem like good ideas? I didn't much care for either choice last year, so this isn't a "Republicans are great" thing at all, I'm just genuinly curious.

Last edited by Twodogs; 06-11-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Resident octogenarian

Considering that it all hit the fan just before he took office the pressure must be enormous. So far I have not seen anything that would make me change my vote. Mind you some of the folks in Congress were they running in my district would need to be worried.

As I have noted before, in Canada I was a paid up member of the Conservative Party, but I guess my definition of conserve is different than the GOP's so I mostly vote Democrat.

I am a little annoyed that they seem to have taken Single-Payer off the table but folks are so brain washed on that subject I suppose it was to be expected. I mean they squack about the gummint dictating what sort of health care you will get. Did not stop them from getting in between a woman and her doctor. I think I would rather have some civil servants with no dog in the hunt dictating my health care than some overpaid CEO worried about the shareholders.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:35 PM

2nd thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
I'm wondering if any Obama voters are re-thinking their vote? It seems to me that he's pretty much living up to his campaign promises, but do they still seem like good ideas? I didn't much care for either choice last year, so this isn't a "Republicans are great" thing at all, I'm just genuinly curious.
I was told once that in an election you are given a choice between two SOB's that you would have never picked in the 1st place, if you REALLY had a choice.

I have talked to one fellow who is having 2nd thoughts on Obama. The rest of my Democratic friends wouldn't say so even if they did.

Personally, I don't care for labels such as conversative, liberal, or libertarian. I have something in common with all of them, and really don't fit into any catagory.

I'm of the what's mine is mine...keep your mitts off of it, I'll leave you alone...but you'd best return the favor, I'll take care of my own affairs...why don't you do the same, and if I want any s..t from you...I'll squezze your head political realm.

Unfortunately, neither political party seems to agree with me.
Chas
Old 06-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Interesting question.
I voted for Obie by default, I had voted republican in every Presidential election since 1976 but in 2000, 2004 and 2008 the republican party I had supported no longer existed hence I never cast a vote for Boy George or McCain. McCain lost his sole (IMHO) and placing Palin on the ticket was beyond belief. That being said I have been pleasantly surprised at the intellectual approach Obie brings to the office and I think long term it will serve us well.
The thought of having a Jerry Springer wannabe as Vice president of this great country still angers me and it would take a train to make me reconsider.

In summation, I am very pleasantly surprised that he is changing the course of our country at a time that it needs changing. I never though he would be as instantly impactive and certainly not in such positive way.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post

I am a little annoyed that they seem to have taken Single-Payer off the table .

They never had it on the table, ridiculous.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:09 PM

Interesting replies. One of the things that got me to thinking about this is the fact that many of my fellow union members have been grumbling about it. Granted, most of them never read a paper or watch the news, and just vote for who the union endorses. I just can't understand why someone would be upset now, being that Obama seems to have run a fairly honest campaign (at least as honest as any politician I've seen). So far, the only thing that "really" worries me is the deficit spending. If it's true that we have to pay the money back with interest, I don't see how it's going to happen. Granted, I'm just a very regular guy working for wages who knows nothing about economic sciences, but it sure sounds like we keep digging the hole deeper. Surely they won't just start printing money, like some news folks would have us believe.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:19 PM

What??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Interesting question.
I voted for Obie by default, I had voted republican in every Presidential election since 1976 but in 2000, 2004 and 2008 the republican party I had supported no longer existed hence I never cast a vote for Boy George or McCain. McCain lost his sole (IMHO) and placing Palin on the ticket was beyond belief. That being said I have been pleasantly surprised at the intellectual approach Obie brings to the office and I think long term it will serve us well.
The thought of having a Jerry Springer wannabe as Vice president of this great country still angers me and it would take a train to make me reconsider.

In summation, I am very pleasantly surprised that he is changing the course of our country at a time that it needs changing. I never though he would be as instantly impactive and certainly not in such positive way.
The "intellectual approach"? A "Jerry Springer wannabe"?

You can say what you want about Palin, but at least she can deliver a speech without a teleprompter.

Chas
Old 06-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The "intellectual approach"? A "Jerry Springer wannabe"?

You can say what you want about Palin, but at least she can deliver a speech without a teleprompter.

Chas
Wow, I take it you disagree with me.

Do you feel that Palin is a serious candidate or that Obie is a hollow shell or both?
Old 06-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
the only thing that "really" worries me is the deficit spending. (
I think we need to be worried and very watchful.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:25 PM

I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Wow, I take it you disagree with me.

Do you feel that Palin is a serious candidate or that Obie is a hollow shell or both?
I don't think that Palin is as bad as you think. And I doubt that Obie is as bad as I think.

Personally, I don't want either one behind the wheel. Out of 300+ million people, can't we do better?

Chas