Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Absolutely! But they still paid a greater share of the overall tax burden.

Pete
Old 07-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Absolutely! But they still paid a greater share of the overall tax burden.

Pete
Pete, I draw two inferences from your conclusion. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1) You have no problem with the wealth gap growing during the Bush years - that is a greater concentration of income reflected in the fact that the highest 10% of incomes made more than the other 90% combined (the researchers did not count those with 0 or lower adjusted gross income.)

2) You do have a problem with the higher earning taxpayers paying a higher portion of their income in taxes.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Area Man

No it can't. (In reference to the OP.)

"United we stand, divided we fall."

I don't expect the two parties will ever become best buddies, but until this "All or nothing" mentality that seems to pervade our politics stops, we will go nowhere.

The only way to acheive that is to purge the extremist whackjobs from both sides of the aisle. And how do you do that when the left wing media helps cover up their whackjobs, and the rightwing media openly defends and supports the loonies on their side. Why in the hell do we even hear from some of these people anymore? Just for the sake of common decency, their parties should have booted them by now.

Whatever happend to "Give and Take" and the art of negotiation? These days our elected officials conducts themselves like schoolyard bullies.

Dave
Old 07-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
No it can't. (In reference to the OP.)

"United we stand, divided we fall."

I don't expect the two parties will ever become best buddies, but until this "All or nothing" mentality that seems to pervade our politics stops, we will go nowhere.

The only way to acheive that is to purge the extremist whackjobs from both sides of the aisle. And how do you do that when the left wing media helps cover up their whackjobs, and the rightwing media openly defends and supports the loonies on their side. Why in the hell do we even hear from some of these people anymore? Just for the sake of common decency, their parties should have booted them by now.

Whatever happend to "Give and Take" and the art of negotiation? These days our elected officials conducts themselves like schoolyard bullies.

Dave
Dave,

You have been watching too much Fox. The only truly left wing media I know about is Pacifica Network. It would be unfair to say that the commercial media tailors its message to satisfy sponsors, but it will really think twice before it will report something that will piss the sponsors off. I see little more than reasonable analysis from the mainstream newspapers I read. One might suggest that they don't do enough reporting about some activist positions.

Fox doesn't really have to worry about sponsors, because it has the only one it needs. It most certainly tailors that message to satisfy its sponsor.

Who would you identify as left wing wackos? Nader? Sharpton? Jessee Jackson? NAACP? Anti-war activists. Gay activists. Planned Parenthood?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Area Man

Hmmmm. You have a point there Donald.

Let's see. Who tries to champion the cause of the unpopular and despised, and who keeps telling us to just accept that these people are despised, because that's how it's 'sposed to be? You know, "They bring it on themselves.", as it were.

"...why do you sit among thieves and whores?" "It is they for whom I came. What need does a well man have of a physician?"

Think I'll go grab a beer, spin up some Dave Brubeck and contemplate this..............

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 07-30-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Loyal Opposition

Brubeck. That's a grand idea old chap.

Regards,

D-ray
Old 07-30-2010, 06:55 PM

Brubeck.

Always thought that Paul Desmond was the Tesla of the quartet.

Chas
Old 07-30-2010, 07:02 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Brubeck.

Always thought that Paul Desmond was the Tesla of the quartet.

Chas
There you go expanding our vocabulary again. In saying that Desmond was the Tesla of the quartet, are you suggesting that he was the primary innovator and creative force?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 08-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Pete, I draw two inferences from your conclusion. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1) You have no problem with the wealth gap growing during the Bush years - that is a greater concentration of income reflected in the fact that the highest 10% of incomes made more than the other 90% combined (the researchers did not count those with 0 or lower adjusted gross income.)

2) You do have a problem with the higher earning taxpayers paying a higher portion of their income in taxes.

Regards,

D-Ray
I'm not sure of what do do with 1). It's a hard one. 2), I have absolutely no problem with even, fair taxation, at all. I don't even mind a graduated tax system to a large degree. But I do see vilification of the wealthy and by proxy big business/ Wall street as a negative, it can't be good for us.

Pete
Old 08-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I have absolutely no problem with even, fair taxation, at all. I don't even mind a graduated tax system to a large degree. But I do see vilification of the wealthy and by proxy big business/ Wall street as a negative, it can't be good for us.

Pete
I can agree that villification of the wealthy could be bad. But, I also see that we, those of us who earn our living as employees, have been thoroughly villified and blamed for many of our countries problems. And I can only surmise that this has come from those who pay our wages. Also not good, IMHO.

Dave