Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:18 AM

On MSNBC yesterday they said the amount of oil being transported in the those train tanker cars (the ones that blow up) was 80,000 a year in 2008. Today it is 400,000 cars of oil per annum on overhead rail!

I take my old electronics to the recycle guys when they show up at Target every so often. I think they are sold on the market for rare earth overseas? Who knows.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:21 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
My sister informed me that God gave us oil and the earth still creates it for our use. It will never run out. How do you deal with that?
Barney

I've heard that there are actually some wackatards that believe that.

http://www.cuttingedge.org/News/n2268.cfm

Sorry, didn't mean to show disrespect for your sis.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:23 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I wasn't pointing the finger at you Barney, we all know it's our own fault

If government is the answer check out UNs' Agenda 21. Forget the tinfoil sites, read the source document.

Btw if you do some digging you'll find some scientists are upset at the way UN is making their sausage. They are NOT saying global warming is a hoax btw, but they are saying political powers are both suppressing and changing their conclusions, to forget the actual reports and read the scientific addendums instead. These folks are often volunteers btw.

Be prepared for an age of shrinking, where what we have will be dictated by more people sharing a smaller pie.

Pete
The UN has no ability to make actual sausage. Agenda 21 is the authors' idea of what should be done, but they have no power to do it. The governments that do have the power are not even dreaming of doing so.

Agenda 21 is either an exercise in clear thinking, or a horrible boggeyman, but what it is not is anything that's going to happen. For better or worse.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Sorry DQ I did not mean to link the two comments. The sausage is in current UN reports. The only trustworthy parts of those is the technical sections, unmolested by politicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Just don't seem to get what people think I have to gain by being against fossil fuels? Really do they think I want to do without? I just realize how selfish this is and wish more would see it for what it is.

My sister informed me that God gave us oil and the earth still creates it for our use. It will never run out. How do you deal with that?
Barney
I get the oil thing. I might even see it for what it is. I have yet to see a solution.

Darn my milky memory, but iirc there is mention in the Bible of the earth being used up or something along those lines.

Pete
Old 05-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Darn my milky memory, but iirc there is mention in the Bible of the earth being used up or something along those lines.

Pete
Good.

That will offset all that crap about stewardship.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I get the oil thing. I might even see it for what it is. I have yet to see a solution.
Same here. Solar? How am I supposed to heat the house? I hate paying the oil man but what's the reasonable alternative?
Old 05-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
Good.

That will offset all that crap about stewardship.
I agree about stewardship, but if something isn't running out why conserve at all?

Pete
Old 05-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Ready

Quote:

Pete
The one that most comes to mind is the marching orders quoted in Genesis: 'Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.'

The 'replenish the earth' part sounds good, but wait a sec. This supposedly is when they were just heading out of the Garden of Eden. Why would anything need replenished at that point?

Suggests to me that the content of the quote dates to a later time, and reflects experience with ancient farmland already being used up by continued agricultural use. This, we may speculate, might have to do with why Abraham left Ur.

Last edited by donquixote99; 05-08-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:28 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG22 View Post
Same here. Solar? How am I supposed to heat the house? I hate paying the oil man but what's the reasonable alternative?
I like the idea of solar power satellites. Koch and compnay could get richer distributing this power over the grid from central receiver farms, so it ought to be doable.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG22 View Post
I say make it code all new construction uses solar panels on the roof. Would be a start at getting an industry going stronger and price should go down. Will create jobs for sure.

Barney