Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Banned

Internal memos reveal EPA worked behind the scenes to kill Alaska mine project

Internal memos reveal EPA worked behind the scenes to kill Alaska mine project

WASHINGTON – The Environmental Protection Agency came under fire Thursday after new emails surfaced that allegedly show government officials worked in secret with tribal leaders and other environmental groups to preemptively oppose the controversial Pebble Mine project in Alaska before a review was even conducted.

The internal memos published by The Washington Times show EPA officials working behind the scenes as early as 2008 to kill the gold and copper mine project -- two years before any scientific study or survey was conducted looking into the environmental impact.

ADVERTISEMENT
“As you know I feel that both of these projects (Chuitna and Pebble) merit consideration of a 404C veto,” EPA official Phillip North wrote, according to the emails.

North, according to the Times, pushed to have the mine’s veto added to the agenda of a 2009 agency retreat.

But the EPA announced in 2011there would be a neutral and scientific review of the mining project. At the time, they said that concerns raised by environmental groups and local tribes would be investigated, but that no decision had been made.

“Alaska is a long way from Washington, D.C.,” Rep. James Lankford, R-Okla., told Fox News. “There is no reason for Washington, D.C., to run affairs in Alaska.”

Lankford says the EPA pre-judged the case and didn’t wait for a full scientific review.

“They are to be neutral in this, and they are definitely not neutral in this,” he said.

MORE
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...roject-killed/
Old 05-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Persona non grata

Last edited by Tom Joad; 05-01-2014 at 07:25 PM.