Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
We have that, too. I'm not sure if they are convicted drunk drivers but there is a boot camp type of arrangement for cleaning along highways. We also have Adopt-A-Highway programs.

I guess where my brain gets stuck is that it seems litter is treated as someone else's problem to solve. Litter pickup is a service that we either have to pay for or cleaning it is used as punishment. In my mind that is wrong. It seems that a better solution would be to make litter pickup a matter of pride in the community. I guess I have a soft spot for the value of common areas.

I know here in San Diego there is a lot of pride; however, in the rural areas of Central California a lot of people use the roadside as their personal dump. Refrigerators, matresses, general junk, all unloaded by the roadside. The farmers, counties, and state do their best to clean it up, but it's recurring. Those that do it can't pay a fine and there are higher priorities for our overfilled jail system. It's another side of the illegal alien problem here in California that no one wants to talk about for fear of the political kickback.

Last edited by bhunter; 04-16-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:19 PM

Years ago I was in line at one of our famous road construction sites, waiting for the pilot car. In front of me is a dually pulling a big camping trailer with California plates, and the guy opens his door and dumps his ash tray on the road.
I walked up there and squatted down and picked up each of the butts. As I stood, he's rolling down his window trying to apologize. I just held out my hands and he instinctively cupped his as I poured the butts in his window.
He was still mumbling as I walked back to my vehicle, and kept glancing back to make sure they didn't hit the ground again.
Assholes. Come up here to see pristine nature and shit on it at the same time.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
We have that, too. I'm not sure if they are convicted drunk drivers but there is a boot camp type of arrangement for cleaning along highways. We also have Adopt-A-Highway programs.

I guess where my brain gets stuck is that it seems litter is treated as someone else's problem to solve. Litter pickup is a service that we either have to pay for or cleaning it is used as punishment. In my mind that is wrong. It seems that a better solution would be to make litter pickup a matter of pride in the community. I guess I have a soft spot for the value of common areas.
Same here. I've hauled most crap out of the backwoods than I care to remember.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:56 PM

Topeka does not have a litter program. People throw their trash out the window with impunity. People fill their yards with (white) trash and it blows every which way. Picking up other people trash from my yard is done almost daily. But that's what I get for living in a trashy republican city located in a trashy republican state.

They have inmates patrol the highways in their neon vests occasionally picking up trash. They are delivered on site in vans pulling a flatbed of port-a-potties.

My wife and my daughter and one of her ex boyfriend were driving home from Kansas City one day and he opened the window and threw a bag of trash out the window exclaiming he was keeping the inmates busy.

The missus, sitting behind him back handed him upside the head. (LOL!) I won't repeat what she said to him. Soon after I found he like to beat puppies. I banned him from the house. My daughter and he broke up soon after.....

Another time, sitting in a Sonic (a local drive in chain) a guy across the lot dumped his bag out the window onto the lot. Again, the missus got out of the car, went over, picked up the trash and dumped it right back into the guys car. I didn't hear what was said but she was mighty pissed and I know not to say much when she's like that.....

The local cowboys like to dump their trash in the backs of their pickup trucks so it flies away on the highway. Keeps them from having to hire trash a removal service.

Last edited by MrPots; 04-16-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I don't want to make Indians cry.

Pete
Don't worry, Pete. The guy who played the Indian in that commercial wasn't.

OOPS! Bob beat me!

John
Old 04-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Ready

There is a city up north known as 'Toronto the Good' for the excellence of it's governance and culture (current incumbents excepted perhaps....) One thing I noticed on my one visit was the immaculate unlittered streets in the densely-built downtown area where our B&B was located. Was up early one morning and saw part of the reason why. A crew of on-foot street-sweepers hustled through. These guys were NOT the old dour sorts you often find doing clean-up work here. They were uniformed all in white, white overalls and stuff, with shiny little badges, and they worked with great speed and efficiency, descending on and sweeping up any little gum wrapper or cigarette butt. They were there and gone pretty much at the speed of a fast walk down the street.

I'm sure this was a decent-paying city job, but the interesting thing is the street was pretty damn clean before they zoomed through. The Toronto folks were NOT dropping stuff on the street all day 'for the sweepers to get.' I think part of it is like the 'broken-window' effect, that says if a window goes unfixed in a place, then the neighborhood goes to hell fast. Since Toronto is kept clean, people like it clean, and they don't mess it up so much. A 'reverse' broken-window effect, and an argument for employing cleaners.

Last edited by donquixote99; 04-16-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:29 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I noticed the same thing, Toronto is a remarkably clean city.

Pete
Old 04-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Littering isn't too bad around here. However, when I moved to New Orleans (long ago, 1975), I was aghast at the amount of litter in south Louisiana. When I'd go fishing in the marshes south of New Orleans, people would dump all the trash they generated in a whole day in the water before they'd motor back to port in Empire, LA. You'd see a whole case of floating empty beer cans, along with sandwich wrappers, etc. floating around a beautiful, otherwise pristine tidal marsh. Feckin' disgusting.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I noticed the same thing, Toronto is a remarkably clean city.

Pete
And their mayor's a hoot!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:55 PM
Persona non grata

I would like to see military snipers strategically placed in tree stands in recreational areas with authorization to shoot anyone who litters. It wouldn't take many litterers to have their heads exploded with .50 caliber rounds before the rest of them would get the message and clean up their act.