Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Whenever I added a 14x28 screened in porch to the rear of my abode, neither the assessor or any of his minions ever stopped by...even though he could see me doing it every time he walked out of the courthouse.

I think my Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde personality may of had something to do with that. That, and whenever they've shown up on one of my jobs asking questions, I've always told them that I was busy and if they wanted any specifics they needed to talk to the homeowner.

Fuck 'em. The county has never kicked any work my way, so I'll be damned if I'm going to help them do their job.

Chas
Whatever keeps them away, Chas.

Here, we have no choice. I don't think you could keep them out with mean dogs and razor wire. They'd just shoot the dogs from a helicopter and repel down. That woman took pictures, inside and out, broke out the tape and measured the room after asking me what the dimensions were.....it was ridiculous.

Dave
Old 12-04-2011, 08:16 PM

Not only did I have to get a permit but needed to go in front of zoning board to get approval for a 10X12 shed. They wanted a set back of 20' off property lines! When I mentioned I could put up a fence on the line without a permit we settled for 5'. They still got the fee of $65.00, plus had to be there when it was put up. Did the tape measure routine of course.

Barney
Old 12-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Not only did I have to get a permit but needed to go in front of zoning board to get approval for a 10X12 shed. They wanted a set back of 20' off property lines! When I mentioned I could put up a fence on the line without a permit we settled for 5'. They still got the fee of $65.00, plus had to be there when it was put up. Did the tape measure routine of course.

Barney
20' off of any property line would put the shed in my bedroom.

I wanted to build one of those sheds with a loft. But, my house is a single story rancher. Local code puts the kibosh on any stucture taller than the house.

Dave
Old 12-05-2011, 06:31 AM
Resident octogenarian

Hell here we don't need a permit for any shed under 200 sq ft which is fine because I plan on putting an 8 x 14 shed beside the deck. We will keep the golf cart in it because the present idea of having to walk down to the bottom of the yard to get it sucks. I use it toe avoid walking up and down a 50 foot difference in the land but then have to walk back uphill when I put it away. I can also electrify a shed beside the deck so I can put it on charge during the winter months. Six 8 volt batteries do not come cheap.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
20' off of any property line would put the shed in my bedroom.

I wanted to build one of those sheds with a loft. But, my house is a single story rancher. Local code puts the kibosh on any stucture taller than the house.

Dave
Luckily I still have the markers in place for the boundaries, or would of been out that expense too!

The 20' offset was so they could drive a fire tuck back there if need be? Good luck I told them, due to the 100 acre swamp that starts back there. I could put up a 8' wood privacy fence right on the line without a problem.
They did not like it to much but relented when that fact was brought up. The subdued chuckles from the crowd might of help my side some also!

Barney
Old 12-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

It was Samuel Adams doing the talking.

Good to see heathy respect for the Founders

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
"Here", as in to Ohio? That would be cool. I'd love to see Ohio back on top. Ohio has produced some great people. Like you and me, for instance.

I used to work with plastics engineers from GE, Beyer and Wellman when I worked in the automotive industry. What that guy told you is very true. But, it's not just plastics, it's everything. Why do you think cars are all similarly priced, no matter who made it, or where it was made? Lowballers learn to play along or get run out of town in that industry. It's just the real ways of the world, I'm afraid.

Dave
We ARE great, ain't we? lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
... "How much are the contents worth? Ok that is the postage."
BAM!

Is it possible to shape a shed like a middle finger? I need to build a garage, I thought 24 x 32 (I have a 1000 sf slab ranch), but the city says, 600 sf max. So I thought, a gambriel two story, but the city says 16 ft to the peak in my development.

Also, shed can't be bigger than 8 x 10, but you can have multiples? Can have multiple garages too. Idiots methinks.

Pete
Old 12-05-2011, 03:35 PM

I feel sorry for you guys, we can build anything we want in Bugtussell.

The city even gave up on enforcing their "nuisance law" after they make one guy paint his house and he painted it purple with green shutters.

They're back to just trying to ignore people, they'll go away sooner or later.

Chas
Old 12-05-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post

Barney
Recently my oldest son (lives in a rural area) wanted a barn built (30' x 60') by the Amish. He applied for all the necessary permits and submitted plans for the job. After the job was finished...he was told besides the cost of the permits paid...he had to have the signature of an architect ( ahem! the building inspector) on the plans...ca-ching! $350.!!!
Old 12-05-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
Recently my oldest son (lives in a rural area) wanted a barn built (30' x 60') by the Amish. He applied for all the necessary permits and submitted plans for the job. After the job was finished...he was told besides the cost of the permits paid...he had to have the signature of an architect ( ahem! the building inspector) on the plans...ca-ching! $350.!!!
I had been told ahead of time to have an established builder lined up on the shed. So when asked in the meeting it went smooth. I thought it was chicken $hit when others around me don't seem to care, build what ever they want and don't seem to get caught.

I want to add a deck sometime but after doing a shed having second thoughts now.

Barney
Old 12-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
Ha, I wonder if the county realized that I redrew the plans for this house. We wanted some changes and also wanted the layout reversed. The builder gave me a set of the blueprints and I redrew them to scale as a mirror image with the alterations we wanted. Of course in my youth I worked for a large engineering company and have had some training as a draughtsman.

As it happens I did the plans for the playroom we are adding, having a 36" wide printer helps.