Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:13 AM
Area Man

Weirdoes. That is all.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:24 AM

I know some devout Catholics, the temptation for a personal "relic" would be well-nigh irresistable.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2015, 12:32 PM

I guess I just see this as a "graven image" type thing to me. I feel the same about crucifixes, saints, relics of all types....... My entire life I've never understood how so many that claim to be followers go against the second commandment their god gave them.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
I guess I just see this as a "graven image" type thing to me. I feel the same about crucifixes, saints, relics of all types....... My entire life I've never understood how so many that claim to be followers go against the second commandment their god gave them.
What's wild is going into any number of crypts in European cathedrals to see the various bones of past saints. For example, if you believe it here's the forearm and skull of St. John the Baptist in the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:14 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
What's wild is going into any number of crypts in European cathedrals to see the various bones of past saints. For example, if you believe it here's the forearm and skull of St. John the Baptist in the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul.

It is important to the devout; it provides concrete examples and gives validity to the stories and thus the religion...this is not fable John the Baptist really existed; here are his bones.

An extension is: Lets visit Bethlehem.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:33 PM
Ready

Physical evidence, yes. I find having actual objects around a great stimulus and confirmation of memory as time (decades!) pass. But as evidence of what others have been up to, the reliability of the chain of custody can be a huge problem....
Old 09-27-2015, 01:42 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
It is important to the devout; it provides concrete examples and gives validity to the stories and thus the religion...this is not fable John the Baptist really existed; here are his bones.

An extension is: Lets visit Bethlehem.
Been there, done that. Twice. Definitely enough to arouse the skeptic in anybody.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:42 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Physical evidence, yes. I find having actual objects around a great stimulus and confirmation of memory as time (decades!) pass. But as evidence of what others have been up to, the reliability of the chain of custody can be a huge problem....
The point I should emphasize is that I believe the main purpose of the displays is not to entertain the morbid but to give solidity to stories.

Reliability is always an issue with historical objects. However people tend to question less those displayed in a church.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:09 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Thou shalt not steal is a pretty central tenet of the Bible.

But it seems Rep. Bob Brady (D-Pa.) couldn’t resist the temptation to swipe the water glass that touched the lips of Pope Francis.

Yes, on Thursday, while other lawmakers were distracted with the pope’s departure from the House chamber, Brady sneaked up to the lectern and snatched the glass used by His Holiness, the Philadelphia Daily News first reported.

He carefully carried the glass, still half full, back to his office where he sipped the water and then passed it around to his wife and two staffers. Later, he invited Sen. Bob Casey (D-Pa.) to his office, who, along with his wife and mother, dipped his fingers in the water. Casey’s office confirmed this was true.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...drank-from-it/

WTF???
I remember participating in ritualized cannibalism ceremonies. And I was Methodist.

Sharing the pope's backwash seems rather tame in comparison.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
where he sipped the water and then passed it around to his wife and two staffers. Later, he invited Sen. Bob Casey (D-Pa.) to his office, who, along with his wife and mother, dipped his fingers in the water.
Probably listening to Marilyn Manson during their little ceremony. Very creepy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5cc015fa4ac554b61c7135c8846ff114.jpg (62.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by djv8ga; 10-03-2015 at 12:44 PM.