Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
If the drugs are still under patent, we are right in fighting India for manufacturing them as generics. Once the patent runs out, however, all bets are off.
India has already won at the WTO in a past case and is in full compliance with the international trade agreement. The US through TPP Agreement wants to raise the patent protection from 7 years to 20 years. Most drug company research is done with government grants. (our tax money)
Do you want you Mother, brother, daughter having to wait 20 years to be able to afford a drug that will save their lives?
The generic version of the HIV drugs are now affordable through out the world and saving many lives and have helped to drop the orphan rate drastically in Africa. Screw Big Pharma.
http://www.worldipreview.com/news/us...pp-drug-policy

Last edited by Samm; 02-26-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:26 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm View Post
India has already won at the WTO in a past case and is in full compliance with the international trade agreement. The US through TPP Agreement wants to raise the patent protection from 7 years to 20 years. Most drug company research is done with government grants. (our tax money)
Do you want you Mother, brother, daughter having to wait 20 years to be able to afford a drug that will save their lives?
The generic version of the HIV drugs are now affordable through out the world and saving many lives and have helped to drop the orphan rate drastically in Africa. Screw Big Pharma.
http://www.worldipreview.com/news/us...pp-drug-policy
Patents on pharmaceuticals last 20 years, for better or worse. Though I certainly have my complaints with Big Pharma, I also understand their concern about imports of generics from places like India.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...98B17C20130912
Old 02-26-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Patents on pharmaceuticals last 20 years, for better or worse. Though I certainly have my complaints with Big Pharma, I also understand their concern about imports of generics from places like India.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...98B17C20130912
"For a period of seven years after the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approves a new drug application for an officially approve the same drug for the same use for another sponsor only if the Agency finds that the holder of the first approved new drug application cannot assure the availability of sufficient quantities of the drug to meet the needs of the patients or if the holder consents to the approval of other new drug applications."

"On January 4, 1983, Public Law 97-414, The Orphan Drug Act (the Act), became law. 21 U.S.C. ss525 et seq."

Straight from the FDA website.
http://www.fda.gov/aboutfda/partners.../ucm116364.htm
Old 02-26-2014, 07:46 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm View Post
"For a period of seven years after the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approves a new drug application for an officially approve the same drug for the same use for another sponsor only if the Agency finds that the holder of the first approved new drug application cannot assure the availability of sufficient quantities of the drug to meet the needs of the patients or if the holder consents to the approval of other new drug applications."

"On January 4, 1983, Public Law 97-414, The Orphan Drug Act (the Act), became law. 21 U.S.C. ss525 et seq."

Straight from the FDA website.
http://www.fda.gov/aboutfda/partners.../ucm116364.htm
This applies only to "orphan" drugs. I understand why Big Pharma is interested in having its US patents honored elsewhere for 20 years to correspond to our laws and I also understand why other countries are interested in manufacturing generics prior to expiration of these patents. As with many such issues, there are two sides to it and how you feel depends on where you sit.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
This applies only to "orphan" drugs. I understand why Big Pharma is interested in having its US patents honored elsewhere for 20 years to correspond to our laws and I also understand why other countries are interested in manufacturing generics prior to expiration of these patents. As with many such issues, there are two sides to it and how you feel depends on where you sit.
"3. How long is exclusivity granted for?

It depends on what type of exclusivity is granted.
Orphan Drug (ODE) - 7 years
New Chemical (NCE)- 5 years
"Other" Exclusivity - 3 years for a "change" if criteria are met
Pediatric Exclusivity (PED) - 6 months added to existing Patents/Exclusivity
Patent Challenge – (PC) – 180 days (this exclusivity is for ANDAs only)

See 21 C.F.R. 314.1083 New Drug Product Exclusivity."
Old 02-26-2014, 07:55 AM
Abby Normal

Big Pharma is a worse than any other drug cartel on the planet.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:15 AM
Jigsawed

Big Pharm is just greedy.