Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:26 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
I agree about the tactics being too gun-centric. It seems like the go-to response has become to shoot to resolve the situation. Also I think there should be a way for there to be a lead officer in a situation and the others follow that lead. More than once you have two or more officers shouting instructions at once and the suspect (I hate that term) hesitating because they don't know who to follow. Then you have things escalating quickly because someone thinking the "suspect" isn't cooperating. In the heat of the moment that's when things can get dangerous.
The attitude that any order barked by a cop must be instantly obeyed, on pain of death, needs adjustment.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
the attitude that any order barked by a cop must be instantly obeyed, on pain of death, needs adjustment.
Say it louder for the ones in the back!!

It's become: If you do not obey, you are being defiant.
If you are being defiant - you are a threat,
If you are a threat - I (cop) am in danger,
If I am in danger - lethal force must be applied.

Last edited by RickeyM; 04-13-2021 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:09 AM

This is a complex issue with policing in the USA. Not as easy as saying it is just seemingly immune bullies with badges. We have a gun culture in this country where a vast amount of violence is a result.

There may be a large amount of their attitudes resulting from or tied to the violence witnessed. This not a one way street with it being all the police's fault after all. Some accountability for the actions leading up to the event need to be considered at time. Not all the time, like the Army Officer peppered sprayed. He was assaulted by the police I think we can agree.

The twenty year old kid trying to flee escalated an already high stress situation even further. This fact only shows his fears and impulsiveness. He was not fighting the police.
I have no clue as to the training of the officer. Have heard the taser and pistol should be on different sides/hip. Pistol dominant side. I see this as a terrible accidental shooting. Officer needs to be held accountable fully and openly.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:53 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
Say it louder for the ones in the back!!

It's become: If you do not obey, you are being defiant.
If you are being defiant - you are a threat,
If you are a threat - I (cop) am in danger,
If I am in danger - lethal force must be applied.
YES!

Step 4 is where the 'logic' most obviously breaks down. Some vague, unspecified, assumed danger does NOT require a lethal response.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:07 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
This is a complex issue with policing in the USA. Not as easy as saying it is just seemingly immune bullies with badges. We have a gun culture in this country where a vast amount of violence is a result.

There may be a large amount of their attitudes resulting from or tied to the violence witnessed. This not a one way street with it being all the police's fault after all. Some accountability for the actions leading up to the event need to be considered at time. Not all the time, like the Army Officer peppered sprayed. He was assaulted by the police I think we can agree.

The twenty year old kid trying to flee escalated an already high stress situation even further. This fact only shows his fears and impulsiveness. He was not fighting the police.
I have no clue as to the training of the officer. Have heard the taser and pistol should be on different sides/hip. Pistol dominant side. I see this as a terrible accidental shooting. Officer needs to be held accountable fully and openly.
Violence witnessed, or luridly depicted in training films, or in exchanged personal stories. In the warrior cop culture, it's gone from chasing public enemies to 'the public is the enemy.' There are bad guys to fight, of course, but that is not 99% of any cop's day, and we need cops to be different. More highly trained, more professional, less warrior.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Violence witnessed, or luridly depicted in training films, or in exchanged personal stories. In the warrior cop culture, it's gone from chasing public enemies to 'the public is the enemy.' There are bad guys to fight, of course, but that is not 99% of any cop's day, and we need cops to be different. More highly trained, more professional, less warrior.
All true.

Easier to use muscle then brains. Especially when the ones being muscled have little voice and power.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:46 AM

Question

The more I hear about how the police are trained, the more I read about how they wear their service weapon versus where the have their taser, the more I read about the size/weight/coloring of a gun versus the taser the less and less I believe the "it was an accident" story. So the 26 year veteran who made this "mistake" wants to resign. Resignation allows her to keep benefits and pension and become a cop somewhere else when things cools down
Old 04-15-2021, 06:43 AM

A question I have after seeing the video of the incident is this. Look at the video. OK, they decided to take the man into custody. Why are they putting cuffs on him while standing next to the open car door? Shouldn't he have been moved to the rear of the vehicle or at the very least close the door? This isn't armchair quarterbacking. These weren't rookie cops, they should have known better. Had they done this simple step none of this would have happened.

Last edited by RickeyM; 04-15-2021 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:47 AM

Walking while black...

U.S. ARMY SGT. ARRESTED
Aggressively Confronts Black Man ...
PASSING THROUGH HIS NEIGHBORHOOD

https://www.tmz.com/2021/04/14/white...-neighborhood/
Old 04-15-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
The Sheriff's Office also says this of the alleged victim ... he apparently has an underlying medical condition that might've affected his behavior that day, and the authorities are working to get him the help he needs, while trying to keep him out of the criminal justice system.
Keep the victim out of the criminal justice system???

Here's another more detailed and slightly different account from Newsweek
https://www.newsweek.com/who-jonatha...eJ-WvQims_Kx38

The initial officer on-scene said his supervisor told him that he could only charge the Pentland with malicious injury to property and not assault. Then of course the video hit social media.