Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Area Man

Wet blanket.

Ever wonder if the constant doomsaying of your side has anything to do with "uncertainty"?

Dave
Old 11-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

You know, he wanted this job! It's just a bad time. But that makes an oppretunity for a historic Presidency.

Pete
Old 11-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Banned

Lets see how it looks after 01/02/12.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:38 PM

I'm not sure how unemployment is for real but I do know that when they are bringing people in to my place of employment for the most part they are temps. We have some temps that have been there well over a year. Do temp workers count as "employed" in these polls?

On a side note it scares the hell out of me when I see em bringing in another round of 15 temps. Giving them more and better training than I received when I was hired. Sure has that feeling of an 1800's sewing shop with folks lined up along the wall waiting for your job if you make a mistake.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:59 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
I'm not sure how unemployment is for real but I do know that when they are bringing people in to my place of employment for the most part they are temps. We have some temps that have been there well over a year. Do temp workers count as "employed" in these polls?

On a side note it scares the hell out of me when I see em bringing in another round of 15 temps. Giving them more and better training than I received when I was hired. Sure has that feeling of an 1800's sewing shop with folks lined up along the wall waiting for your job if you make a mistake.
Excellent question. I don't know the answer, but it would be interesting to know.

Same here. It dawned on me a while back, that I don't personally know ANYONE, not even among my Ohio relatives, who is unemployed, but I know tons of people who are underemployed. Low wages, reduced hours, no benefits.......I know lots of those.

Is this just a sign of the "recession"? Maybe so. What do you think?

(I've watched the use of temp services grow and grow over the years, along with the reluctance to hire folks on "permanent". Where I work, this now includes skilled/technical staff. Not just the laborers.)

Dave
Old 11-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I don't mean to be a wet blanket Dave, it's just really tough out there.

Some good news - the US is still the biggest economy and can create it's own growth. We've outpaced Europe over the years sometimes by a real lot.

And manufacturing has been up for 26 consecutive months.

I think the real harbringer of good times a'coming would be RE values starting to creep up.

Pete
Old 11-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I don't mean to be a wet blanket Dave, it's just really tough out there.

Some good news - the US is still the biggest economy and can create it's own growth. We've outpaced Europe over the years sometimes by a real lot.

And manufacturing has been up for 26 consecutive months.

I think the real harbringer of good times a'coming would be RE values starting to creep up.

Pete
OMG! Positivity? Are you sure that manufacturing being up isn't really some sign that the end of times is nigh, unless we hurry up and elect some rightwing windbag to strap on his/her cape and save us from the clutches of a permanent state of decline and disaster?

Dave
Old 11-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Whoa.

It really didn't have anywhere else to go!

Sad thing is, they're having trouble filling positions at least here in Ohio. Go through 5 -10 slack jawed drooling temps before you find one willing to actually show up daily and work while being able to count.

Pete
Old 11-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Area Man

Quote:

Pete
Not going to happen for a while yet. The friggin' things are still grossly overpriced. Even when unemployment drops....Who can afford them? Can't make a $1,500 mortgage payment on $10/hour.

BTW. Through it all, I have always believed, and always will, that Americas best days lie yet ahead. We just have to accomplish three things, IMHO.

1). Get our politicians to stop trying to destroy each other. Of all things, I fear single party rule the most. If it hasn't become obvious to anyone that that's what all too many of them are up to.........That person is dumb, deaf and blind.

2). Get Americans to start caring about each other again. This constant effort to drag each other down and strip each other of the things we all work for cannot lead to anything good. Not for the average American, anyhow.

3) Stinginess and unbridled greed have got to go. There is a difference between healthy incentivised ambition, and this obscene "Gordon Gekko" style of avaricious pillaging. The first builds. The second only destroys.
Our country was a far better place when we lauded generosity, and hissed at the self-centered and insatiable.

Dave
Old 11-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Whoa.

It really didn't have anywhere else to go!

Sad thing is, they're having trouble filling positions at least here in Ohio. Go through 5 -10 slack jawed drooling temps before you find one willing to actually show up daily and work while being able to count.

Pete
That's everywhere, Pete.

Just over the weekend we fired one for "texting" on the production floor, two for being drunk on the job, and one for doing serious damage to a vital piece of equipment with his forklift, just being a jackass.

Dave