Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Referring to Hispanics and Latinos as non-white sure as hell does not help them. Also referring to Asians as a block is also a non-starter. I have taught South Korean, Japanese and Chinese software engineers and they are about as alike as chalk and cheese.
While I agree in principle, those terms are the classes/categories that have long been used in social demographic research. They were not meant to be loaded terms with any negative connotations. We could label them with any symbol; however, a desciptive name is much more useful and more easily remembered. It is also true that members of the class usually have no problem self-describing themselves as members of the aforementioned labeled classes.

Here's the 2000 census class definitions:
* These were slightly modified in 2010

Quote:
The following definitions apply to the 2000 census only.[12]

"White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, Scottish, Italian, Near Easterner, Arab, or Polish.[12]

"Black or African American. A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as 'Black, African Am.' or provide written entries such as Kenyan, Nigerian, or Haitian."[12]

"American Indian and Alaska Native. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America) and who maintain tribal affiliation or community attachment."[12]

"Asian. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam. It includes 'Asian Indian,' 'Chinese', 'Filipino', 'Korean', 'Japanese', 'Vietnamese', and 'Other Asian'."[12]

"Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands. It includes people who indicate their race as 'Native Hawaiian', 'Guamanian or Chamorro', 'Samoan', and 'Other Pacific Islander'."[12]

"Some other race. Includes all other responses not included in the 'White', 'Black or African American', 'American Indian and Alaska Native', 'Asian' and 'Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander' race categories described above. Respondents providing write-in entries such as multiracial, mixed, interracial, We-Sort, or a Hispanic/Latino group (for example, Mexican, Puerto Rican, or Cuban) in the "Some other race" category are included here."[12]

"Two or more races. People may have chosen to provide two or more races either by checking two or more race response check boxes, by providing multiple write-in responses, or by some combination of check boxes and write-in responses."[12]

The federal government of the United States has mandated that "in data collection and presentation, federal agencies are required to use a minimum of two ethnicities: 'Hispanic or Latino' and 'Not Hispanic or Latino'."[13] The Census Bureau defines "Hispanic or Latino" as "a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race."[13] For discussion of the meaning and scope of the Hispanic or Latino ethnicity, see the Hispanic and Latino Americans and Racial and ethnic demographics of the United States articles.

Use of the word ethnicity for Hispanics only is considerably more restricted than its conventional meaning, which covers other distinctions, some of which are covered by the "race" and "ancestry" questions. The distinct questions accommodate the possibility of Hispanic and Latino Americans' also declaring various racial identities (see also White Hispanic and Latino Americans, Asian Latinos, and Black Hispanic and Latino America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_%2...ates_Census%29

Last edited by bhunter; 11-08-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I hate the spending. But it is impossible to stop.

And I've got a 5 year supply of peanut butter - just in case.

Pete
You had better check that expiration date before opening!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Resident octogenarian

Even from Mexico if they are not pure Spanish blood they are generally referred to as Mestizos. Although she was born here Florence's ancestors were very early settled in Nuevo Leon, Mexico, Her farthest back ancestor Capitain Juan Cavazos del Campo came to Nuevo Leon in the service of the king. A three times great uncle Jose Narciso Cavazos was the righful owner of the King Ranch until it was stolen by that carpetbagger. She had a couple of maiden aunts back four of five generations who never married because there were no pure Spanish blood men available. In tracing the family tree I noted that all birth records listed race as white.

BTW in genealogical research I have never seen the term Hispanic or Latino/Latina, although Spain was once known as Hispanola.

Last edited by merrylander; 11-08-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Even from Mexico if they are not pure Spanish blood they are generally referred to as Mestizos. Although she was born here Florence's ancestors were very early settled in Nuevo Leon, Mexico, Her farthest back ancestor Capitain Juan Cavazos del Campo came to Nuevo Leon in the service of the king. A three times great uncle Jose Narciso Cavazos was the righful owner of the King Ranch until it was stolen by that carpetbagger. She had a couple of maiden aunts back four of five generations who never married because there were no pure Spanish blood men available. In tracing the family tree I noted that all birth records listed race as white.

BTW in genealogical research I have never seen the term Hispanic or Latino/Latina, although Spain was once known as Hispanola.
Interesting history there Merrylander. IIRC both Hispanic and Latino/Latina were recent inventions when sociologists sought greater diffrentiation.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Interesting history there Merrylander. IIRC both Hispanic and Latino/Latina were recent inventions when sociologists sought greater diffrentiation.
Actually Capitain Juan Cavazos was an Italian, but he married a Spanish lady, hence the Del Campo. Half of the family makes up the AMA, never saw so many doctors.

Last edited by merrylander; 11-09-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Around here, most Hispanics seem to be from Central and South America, not Mexico. FWIW, I've never seen a harder working bunch.
Same out here with those "lazy" Mexicans. The longer I'm out here the more admiration and just plain liking I have for them.

John
Old 11-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

You guys need to talk to non-Mexican hispanics and tell them to lay off the lazy Mexican comments.

Pete
Old 11-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Actually Capitain Juan Cavazos was an Itakian, but he married a Spanish lady, hence the Del Campo. Half of the family makes up the AMA, never saw so many doctors.

I make a lot of use of the Mormon database at familysearch.org but one thing I find annoying in listing parents they most often give the wife's married name and not her maiden name, makes tracing fun at times. So far there are summat like, well just checked 10,135 individuals in our tree. probably go over 20,000 before I get finished.

A 3X great uncle came over under tha auspices of the LDS church. Now almost everyone west of the mississippi with my surname is a cousin. Even had an ancestor with my same names who fought on the Union side in the civil war.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Admin

Those non-Cubans don't call those poor oppressed Cubanos loco for nothing, Pete.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

They use 'Mexican' like an insult, like an unsaid old term for black folks.

Rob, that's really interesting.

Pete