Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:45 AM
Jigsawed

The winner is going to come from the trio of Belgium, Holland, Germany.
I wish our boys luck!
Old 06-18-2014, 06:53 AM
Mutated Member

Belgium! Har Har Har! That's a good one...
Old 06-18-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanKardon View Post
Belgium! Har Har Har! That's a good one...
Isn't that the ultimate curse word according to THHGTTG?
RIP Douglas Adams, goodby and thnx for all the larfs and wheezes.
Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Pio1980; 06-18-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Banned

Can I ask you guys about something I've noticed about el futbol?

Back in the day, I remember Blackhawks defenseman Keith Magnuson suffered a compound fracture of the jaw in a game against the Canadiens. He refused to call it a night, got into a fistfight with trainer Skip Thayer (who was desperately trying not to hit Magnuson in the face) and finally had to be physically restrained by a half-dozen Hawk's staff from going back out on to the ice with his jawbone sticking out of his cheek.

And then I watch some soccer, where two skinny guys bump into each other and both end up screaming and writhing around on the lawn like somebody poked them both in the eye with a pencil. What's that all about? Anybody?

Last edited by Ike Bana; 06-18-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:02 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Fishing for a penalty?
Old 06-18-2014, 10:09 AM
Mutated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Fishing for a penalty?
Indeed - that's pretty often the case!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:59 AM
Banned

Pretty often? It's almost always the case. I understand that. It's also one of the things I dislike about basketball. Everybody's trolling for a penalty call in soccer and basketball. Certainly there are some theatrics employed by athletes in most team sports where there are "penalties" that effect the course of the game. The 7 foot tall 320 pound monsters who go flying into the first row of seats at the United Center when some little 180 pound off-guard bumps into them is just as nauseating as a grown man grimacing and thrashing around on the ground clutching at his shins in a soccer game. And I'm like...OK where TF is the blood and the protruding fibula that goes with all this behavior? And it's never there.

I guess what I was fishing for is if anybody else thinks it's as unfortunately annoying behavior as I do. My friend Felipe from Guadalajara just shakes his head and recites the "it's just part of the game" pat answer. Not after Andrew Shaw gets a puck in the face in the first period of last year's NHL final game, and is winning face-offs looking like the elephant man.

Nope...I don't think pathetic theatrics oughta be part of any game. It's a major reason why I have trouble with soccer (and basketball)...that and that after watching 20 minutes of a soccer game, for a little excitement I go out in the yard and sit on the north side of a tree and watch the moss grow.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 06-18-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Pretty often? It's almost always the case. I understand that. It's also one of the things I dislike about basketball. Everybody's trolling for a penalty call in soccer and basketball. Certainly there are some theatrics employed by athletes in most team sports where there are "penalties" that effect the course of the game. The 7 foot tall 320 pound monsters who go flying into the first row of seats at the United Center when some little 180 pound off-guard bumps into them is just as nauseating as a grown man grimacing and thrashing around on the ground clutching at his shins in a soccer game. And I'm like...OK where TF is the blood and the protruding fibula that goes with all this behavior? And it's never there.

I guess what I was fishing for is if anybody else thinks it's as unfortunately annoying behavior as I do. My friend Felipe from Guadalajara just shakes his head and recites the "it's just part of the game" pat answer. Not after Andrew Shaw gets a puck in the face in the first period of last year's NHL final game, and is winning face-offs looking like the elephant man.

Nope...I don't think pathetic theatrics oughta be part of any game. It's a major reason why I have trouble with soccer (and basketball)...that and that after watching 20 minutes of a soccer game, for a little excitement I go out in the yard and sit on the north side of a tree and watch the moss grow.
Most people who really enjoy watching soccer are people who have
played it.

The future for soccer looks good here in the US because it is the game
which is very inclusive.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Most people who really enjoy watching soccer are people who have
played it.

The future for soccer looks good here in the US because it is the game
which is very inclusive.
Last time I checked...inclusiveness and familiarity were not prerequisites for entertainment in a sports venue. But that's just me.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Mutated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post

Ike, billions, I say BILLIONS love to watch football and no one of them is interested in disturbing you watching the moss grow.