Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:47 AM

Hey noonereal...

Step up to the bar, first round's on me.

I had a good time in the gun control thread, let's knock a few back before we embark on the next big discussion... debate makes me thirsty.

Oz
"Ecpyrosis" will not be found in most dictionaries, but it is a philosophical term of the stoics, from the greek "ekpyrosis", and it means: "conflagration; the periodic resolution of all things into fire".
Old 06-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Abby Normal

Sounds good to me, I'll have a Bud to start.

I thought that thread was dead several times only to come back to life. I got a feelin' the subject will be broached again.

In the meantime maybe we can discuss religion!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
ROTFLMAO... I'm up for it, if you are. Shall we draw for sides, or do you have a preference?
"Ecpyrosis" will not be found in most dictionaries, but it is a philosophical term of the stoics, from the greek "ekpyrosis", and it means: "conflagration; the periodic resolution of all things into fire".
Old 06-03-2009, 04:49 PM

I'm a Presbyterian, anybody who AIN'T a Presbyterian is a Sumbich 'n' is on a fast track to H-E-Double-Toothpicks..... So there. N'yah....(grin) And yes, it has taken me most of my adult life to learn how to spell "Presbyterian"....
Old 06-03-2009, 05:24 PM

Religious whacko's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I'm a Presbyterian, anybody who AIN'T a Presbyterian is a Sumbich 'n' is on a fast track to H-E-Double-Toothpicks..... So there. N'yah....(grin) And yes, it has taken me most of my adult life to learn how to spell "Presbyterian"....
I reckon if they's anything more hardcore than a Methodist, it must be you Prespertians....didn't teach we'uns how to spell Prespertians in Sunday School...musta been penis envy.

My Granddaddy was a Catlikker, always wished I'd been one. No matter how bad you screw up, you just spill your guts in the booth, say a few Hail Mary's, and you're good to go.

Besides, the Catlikkers always had an enlightened view of the juice of the grape.

Us poor Methodist's were reduced to Welch's for communion. However, us mean little shits found the pastor's jug of Mad Dog in his desk, and that's a fact.

Chas
Old 06-03-2009, 05:35 PM

Buttwiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Sounds good to me, I'll have a Bud to start.

I thought that thread was dead several times only to come back to life. I got a feelin' the subject will be broached again.

A BUD, a BUD???????

Don't' know whether to give you hell for being a damn communist liberal, or for drinking Clydesale piss.

If you fellers invite me, I'll but a round of Coors Light. They told me that's what Jesus drinks. While he's thumbin' his S&W.

Fire away,
Chas
Old 06-03-2009, 05:41 PM

Actually, I guess I'm a Heathern to most of these people down here...If you ain't a Baptist, you ARE going to Hell in a Handbasket...Period. End of discussion. Even some of the more, uhh, "Primitive" Baptist churches are pretty sure that even Baptists that aren't of THEIR particular persuasion of Baptist are lost causes, as well. We won't even talk about the Snake-Handlers & the Strychnine-Drinkers...IMHO, there should have been ONE MORE COMMANDMENT...Commandment Eleven- Thou shalt not be a Dumbass...
Old 06-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I reckon if they's anything more hardcore than a Methodist, it must be you Prespertians....didn't teach we'uns how to spell Prespertians in Sunday School...musta been penis envy.

My Granddaddy was a Catlikker, always wished I'd been one. No matter how bad you screw up, you just spill your guts in the booth, say a few Hail Mary's, and you're good to go.

Besides, the Catlikkers always had an enlightened view of the juice of the grape.

Us poor Methodist's were reduced to Welch's for communion. However, us mean little shits found the pastor's jug of Mad Dog in his desk, and that's a fact.

Chas
I was raised a good Catholic so you can rest assured I have more than one twitch and enough guilt that I find it necessary to drink heavily.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:54 PM

Heathen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Actually, I guess I'm a Heathern to most of these people down here...If you ain't a Baptist, you ARE going to Hell in a Handbasket...Period. End of discussion. Even some of the more, uhh, "Primitive" Baptist churches are pretty sure that even Baptists that aren't of THEIR particular persuasion of Baptist are lost causes, as well. We won't even talk about the Snake-Handlers & the Strychnine-Drinkers...IMHO, there should have been ONE MORE COMMANDMENT...Commandment Eleven- Thou shalt not be a Dumbass...
I reckon if you're a heathen, then I'm a Philistine.

Don't reckon they're too many Baptists here, and if you are, I don't want to hurt your feeling. But......

I've talked religion with a few Baptists. and they are fundematalists, to the extreme.

As I have no conception of God, even took the advice of a retired Baptist minister that I bid a job for a couple of weeks ago, and I asked God for forgiveness. That's what they all tell me, so I did it.

Anyway, God never got back to me. Musta have dialed #2 for Spanish, only thing I can figure. According to them, he couldn't wait so save my sorry ass.

I tend to follow the old axiom, that since we exist, there must be a creator. The old "I've got a watch, their must be a watchmaker" line of reasoning.

This is a valid line of reasoning. However, when you attempt to define the "watchmaker", I can find no answer. I've tried, but I never could get a grip on Metaphysics, maybe I'm just stupid. I'm a rationalist myself.

And I've also noticed that anyone who could explain it all to me, IMHO, was as full of shit as a Christmas Goose.

Now I suppose that there must be a God, only because so many people say there is. That's fine by me, I got nothin' again him.

Einstein said, "There are questions that man will never answer." Always liked to side with a "fart smeller" like Einstein.

Either you believe, or you don't. Personally, I don't feel as though I have enough information to pass judgement.

Just being honest with myself, and all of you. Reckon if I go to Hell, least I'll know most everybody there.

I could take this further, but I believe you have my gist,
Chas
Old 06-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Resident octogenarian

I was raised in the Union Church, town was so small there were not enough of any one group of Protestants to make up a Methodist or Presbyterian or United church. Actually the United Church was a merger of Methodists and Presbyterians, except some Presbyterians held out and would not join.

Fiesrt wife was an Anglican (Episcopalian here) we used to refer to them as God's Frozen People, stiff necked lot.

Currently married to a lady raised in the Catholic Church, although we have removed the capital C and simply call ourselves christians. We have learned over the years that organized religion is more about the organization than it is about religion.

Though in my travels I have seen many beautiful churches here and abroad and I have read quite a bit of the Bible, I still have not found the passage where we were asked to build them. I did find a bit that said "Where two or more are gathered together in my name, there shall I be also."

For all those TV mega churches I would recommend Matthew 6 -1:7