Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-02-2021, 01:24 PM
Banned

Help you get out of your timeshare???

I've been hearing this ad on talk radio quite a bit. This subject may come closer to political because a "get you out of your timeshare" company bought time on Sean Hannity's radio show.

Just curious if anyone here knows.

What is a timeshare? What is the concept?

In the state of Florida, a special license is needed to sell timeshare. What kind of license is it?

Are people STUCK in their timeshares? If so, why?

(This will be fun for me to watch because I know all the answers. In the late 80s I used to sell timeshare in Florida.)

I wonder if anyone knows the answer.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:52 PM
Admin

Of course "you know all the answers".

What it really means is Sean Hammity is scraping the bottom of the barrel for advertisers.

You'd think Pox TV could attract a better grade of client. After all, they're the big Magilla up on Bullshit Mountain.

Maybe all the outright lying and fascistic fabulism is finally catching up with the advertisers? That shit doesn't sell like it used to since the Naranja Nazi got run outta town in January.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:44 PM

This message is hidden because Reason10 is on your ignore list.

He's baaack
Old 05-03-2021, 07:55 AM

Trump’s Scottish Golf Resorts Took $800,000 In Taxpayer Funds To Save Jobs, But Cut Workers

Union officials called the money grab a “scandal” and are calling for a government investigation.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_6...b02e74d228a542

Time to share this with Trumpkin morons.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Of course "you know all the answers".

What it really means is Sean Hammity is scraping the bottom of the barrel for advertisers.

You'd think Pox TV could attract a better grade of client. After all, they're the big Magilla up on Bullshit Mountain.

Maybe all the outright lying and fascistic fabulism is finally catching up with the advertisers? That shit doesn't sell like it used to since the Naranja Nazi got run outta town in January.
Actually Hannity and FoxNews have little say on the advertising in local markets. Each radio station sells local ads. Geniuses like Rush Limbaugh (who were the absolute SAVIOR of AM radio) had such amazing ratings that they were able to sell ads at confiscatory rates. Hannity and others owe their success to the Doctor Of Democracy, Maha Rushie.

If you were getting your news from a source more reliable than THE VIEW or CNN you might have noticed that there weren't ANY ads for "get you out of your timeshare" on the actual FoxNews TV network. It's only in local markets.

In the Orlando area, WDBO AM was the first station to carry Rush's Marconi Award winning show. I was a loyal listener every afternoon when I used to live there. Mostly the ads for that show were from the more upscale companies in Orlando. Often Rush would hype a product himself personally, which means that company was paying premium advertising dollars for his voice.

For a while, there was an FM talk station in Orlando (I forget who, it was so long ago) who had liberal talk show hosts on. Yes, Rush is also responsible for some liberal talking heads having a career, but their ratings weren't so great. I noticed this liberal station was running a lot of ads from local adult entertainment companies, adult book stores, bail bondsmen, stuff like that. Seems like the liberal stations couldn't give the air time away.

If you wonder why ScAIR America (Algore's comically disastrous attempt at creating a bunch of liberal talk shows across the fruited plain) never took off, it's because people aren't buying that bull sheet.

Maybe that's why CNN's ratings are tanking and FoxNew's ratings are through the roof. And forget PMSNBC. I'm amazed that rag is still able to afford air time, their ratings are so piss poor.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:28 AM
Banned

For those of you who don't know any better (a lot of reasons for that. Maybe you don't live in a resort area, maybe you don't care what timeshare is, maybe you're just plain STUPID), timeshare is basically shared ownership of a condominium in a resort area. One has to have a real estate license to sell timeshare in Florida.

The sales pitch is basically directing the money you'd spend on hotel rooms into a week of deeded real estate. Once you own it, you don't pay for hotels any more. Because you're only paying for what you use, you aren't having to buy an entire second home, or condo.

In the late 80s, a week of timeshare would retail for about $9000. 52 of those weeks means that condo was worth about half a million. Was that possible? Was even a resort area condo worth half a million? When you look at hotels charging (back then) around $40 a night for basically a one room apartment, you have to ask yourself if a one-room apartment in the 80s was worth $1200 a month.

The math works, for people who vacation every year. I sold in the Disney area, which back then was high in demand. I had to have a real estate license to sell that stuff.

If one didn't want to return to Orlando every year for vacation, there is a company called Resort Condominiums International (RCI) where you can trade your week for a week at any of thousands of resorts all over the world, everywhere including Europe. Tahiti, Hawaii, places that would cost a fortune to vacation at.

RCI actually started out as a vacation club SCAM that actually wound up working. People used it, got exchanges they wanted, paid the fees and were happy.

The "get you out of your timeshare" hawkers require an up front fee, and you're lucky to hear from them again. Why is that? Getting financing for a timeshare is impossible. The resorts sold weeks with their own in house guaranteed financing, so that every Joe walking through the door was qualified. And those interest rates were at the Jimmy Carter 18 percent levels.

The "get you out of your timeshare" hawkers also mention maintenance fees. As part of the sales process, the licensed salesman has to tell the customer up front of not only the existence of the maintenance fees but the EXACT amount at the time the sales is being made. This is after all a condo, and all condos come with monthly assessment fees, which cover maintenance, insurance and property taxes.

Yes, the cost of some maintenance fees can spiral up. Timeshares on the beach are particularly hit hard, since people track sand into the rooms, (which is hell on the carpet). Also insurance is pretty high on any ocean front property, especially one in the path of hurricanes. So there's no surprise there, (except that these "get you out of your timeshare" hawkers don't mention the reason for maintenance fees.)

I've heard some of these bozos come on the radio and from the way they talk I could tell they were reading from a script and had NO idea what a timeshare actually is.

In the state of Florida, timeshare is strictly regulated, and each sale has a ten day right of reccission clause (meaning you had ten actual days to think it over and change your mind and get all your down payment money back). Here, timeshare IS deeded real estate.

Not all timeshare is as tightly regulated. I happen to know that Cancun timeshares do not have such protections, and it is actually common for the salesman to get the buyer drunk and then get him to sign, with no right to cancel.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:40 AM
Banned

Does timeshare work for ANYBODY? There are some resort islands in Florida, some deep pocket vacation areas on the Gulf Coast where in the early 80s people actually would buy multiple weeks, sometimes up to three months of timeshare at $3000 a week. (I've actually met a few of these folks.) In the early 80s, that would be a $54,000 investment for a condo one only would need to use for three months. These people come back every year and stay at their timeshares the entire time.

Today, in these regions, a waterfront condo starts at half a million. There are Gulf front homes one one island starting at $22 million, easy. So yes, these timeshare owners did pretty well. And getting the same value in a rental starts at $200 a night. That's $1400 a week. A week they bought for $3000 back in the early 80s.

What if they wanted to sell? Well in these regions, the problem is the exact opposite. DEMAND for these timeshares is at an all time high, but nobody wants to sell. And a week that costed about $3000 in 1980 runs today an easy $85,000. I've seen the ads. There are timeshare brokers who knock down some serious commissions, based on their ability to find inventory to sell.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Trump’s Scottish Golf Resorts Took $800,000 In Taxpayer Funds To Save Jobs, But Cut Workers

Union officials called the money grab a “scandal” and are calling for a government investigation.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_6...b02e74d228a542

Time to share this with Trumpkin morons.
Only a MORON believes ANYTHING from that Nazi rag Huffingonacrackpipe Post.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:13 AM

Real men and women buy real properties, time share is for losers and those who sell them are sleaze.

Only suckers with no real assets buy time share properties and in some cases, one only buys a share of the lease and not the underlying property. Add to this the so called management fees and what do you get? A worthless piece of paper when it comes time to sell. In most instances you can get a classy hotel for a lot less investment with no long term commitment.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:19 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Timeshares are for morons with such limited taste and imagination that they actually want to go to the same place in the same week every year for a vacation (and pay out the ass for the privilege of staying in a flimsily-built dump).

In other words, they're for people like you, Reason10.