Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:07 PM

This is hardly new technology, perhaps improved technology, but not new.

From a personal viewpoint, I own a podunk construction company, drive a 1 ton FWD Chevy, 3/4 ton Dodge FWD, and a 3/4 ton Dodge van.

Ain't no way I'm gonna pay 40K for some little piss ant car that couldn't pull any one of them out of their tracks.

If they ever get it right, they couldn't make enough of them.

But they ain't got it right,

Chas
Old 08-22-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This is hardly new technology, perhaps improved technology, but not new.

From a personal viewpoint, I own a podunk construction company, drive a 1 ton FWD Chevy, 3/4 ton Dodge FWD, and a 3/4 ton Dodge van.

Ain't no way I'm gonna pay 40K for some little piss ant car that couldn't pull any one of them out of their tracks.

If they ever get it right, they couldn't make enough of them.

But they ain't got it right,

Chas
Based on what?
The fact that a small, electric economy car is not a 3/4 ton truck?

And as for power, they are looking at a 0-60 time of 8.5 seconds, so I wouldn't try drag racing one for pinks with any of your beasts...
Old 08-22-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
Based on what?
The fact that a small, electric economy car is not a 3/4 ton truck?

And as for power, they are looking at a 0-60 time of 8.5 seconds, so I wouldn't try drag racing one for pinks with any of your beasts...
I would imagine a Volt would run circles around any of my trucks, they're not what you would call quick. I drive 'em because I need 'em...a 1/2 ton won't cut the mustard, I've tried.

I suppose I was comparing apples to oranges, other than the initial costs.

If the Volt was to sell for app 25K it would become as affordable as my wife's Vibe...provided she didn't drive over 40 miles per day, and she far exceeds this.

The Volt is Chevy's first shot out of a cold barrel. Once the technology advances to the point that they can sell them for 25K, or they develop a drive train that will pull 15,000 pounds without sucking the battery dry in 15 minutes, they would start to make sense to me.

I just feel that they are overpriced at the time. The only way that "green" power will work is to make it as, or more, affordable than current power sources. I'll admit, I'm a tightwad, and I'm not going to pay more so that I can be "green". Get the price right, and I'll be so "green" that I'll glow in the dark.

Enjoy your Saturday,

Chas
Old 08-24-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I would imagine a Volt would run circles around any of my trucks, they're not what you would call quick. I drive 'em because I need 'em...a 1/2 ton won't cut the mustard, I've tried.

I suppose I was comparing apples to oranges, other than the initial costs.

If the Volt was to sell for app 25K it would become as affordable as my wife's Vibe...provided she didn't drive over 40 miles per day, and she far exceeds this.

The Volt is Chevy's first shot out of a cold barrel. Once the technology advances to the point that they can sell them for 25K, or they develop a drive train that will pull 15,000 pounds without sucking the battery dry in 15 minutes, they would start to make sense to me.

I just feel that they are overpriced at the time. The only way that "green" power will work is to make it as, or more, affordable than current power sources. I'll admit, I'm a tightwad, and I'm not going to pay more so that I can be "green". Get the price right, and I'll be so "green" that I'll glow in the dark.

Enjoy your Saturday,

Chas

Hey, like any new technology, the early adopters always pay more. I still remember paying $3500 for my 286 computer about 100 years ago....
Old 08-25-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
Hey, like any new technology, the early adopters always pay more. I still remember paying $3500 for my 286 computer about 100 years ago....
I figger that maybe in ten yrs, if I live that long, I'll take a look at one. Just want the price to come down, let 'em get the bugs worked out, and to make sure I an't buyin' the "Beta" version of an ecobox.

Never did own a 286.

Chas
Old 08-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Resident octogenarian

The 286 was a brain dead 386 if that helps.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
The 286 was a brain dead 386 if that helps.
My 1st computer was a Sharp electronic typewriter/PC, looked like a typewriter with a little screen on a pole and two 5.25 floppies. The guy who sold it to make could make it work, but I couldn't

So I bought "DOS for Dummies". Started reading, it told me the first thing to do was to load my program onto the hard drive "all computers have a hard drive" if I remember correctly.

Well, my lousy POS Sharp PC/typewriter didn't!!! Finally got a basic word processing program to run on it, but just barely. Finally bought a used 386 DX40?...talk about night and day. I could actually use it.

Used to "wow" all my buddies with it, but they were high rollers, and went out and financed 486's.

Still think 3.11 was Bill Gates best effort.

Chas