Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Yep, he's trying to conflate a bit of grab-assing by a comedian with serial child molestation by a deputy district attorney.
Once again, Finn, you're factually challenged.

Franken's recent statements on these incidents are pathetic. The allegations, other than Tweeden's, came during periods of time when he was campaigning or was a US Senator. So, it's not ass-grabbing "by a comedian", unless you find it an act of comedy that Franken was elected in the first place, in which case you probably have a point.

Are they mistaken that their butt was grabbed is that what you are saying?” Murphy asked.

“I am not saying that. As I said, I take thousands of photos. I don’t remember these particular photos,” Franken said.

“With all due respect, people are going to find it hard to believe that someone such as yourself wouldn’t know that they were grabbing someone’s butt,” Murphy said.

“I can understand how some people would see it that way,” Franken said.

“But have you ever placed a hand on some woman’s butt?” Murphy asked.

“I can’t say that it hasn’t happened. In crowded chaotic situations, I can’t say that I have not done that. I am very sorry if these women experienced that,” Franken said.

What a load of crap. He's essentially saying "I've grabbed ass so much I just can't remember specific incidents of ass grabbing." I guess he regards women as his personal play-things.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:16 AM

Will or should Roy Moore get seated in the Senate if he wins the AL special election?
Old 11-27-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
Will or should Roy Moore get seated in the Senate if he wins the AL special election?
Will he? In this utterly amoral Senate, yes. Should he? Of course not!

Should Clarence Thomas have been appointed to SCOTUS? He likely wouldn’t make it through the confirmation process today, and Donald Trump would never nominate a black man. Should he resign for past sexual assaults? Absolutely.

Should the sexual assaulter in chief resign? No doubt about it. His actions are far worse than just about any of the others. He needs to set an example, or be used to set an example that this behavior is inappropriate.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:54 AM

Both Franken and Conyers have put their future in the hands of the Senate and the House. so let them decide and we should quit talking about it.

In the interim we have a pedophile denying the allegations, hiding out while continuing to be a candidate for the US Senate and now has the full support of Trump and the Alabama GOP.

I still believe that best scenario would be for Moore to win the election and see what McConnel & Co. do. The message that the GOP would rather elect a pedophile for tribal politics will resonate far and loud. This will kill them in swing districts come mid term elections. What parent would want pedophile Moore sitting in the Senate and have access to interns?
Old 11-27-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
Both Franken and Conyers have put their future in the hands of the Senate and the House. so let them decide and we should quit talking about it.

I still believe that best scenario would be for Moore to win the election and see what McConnel & Co. do. The message that the GOP would rather elect a pedophile for tribal politics will resonate far and loud. This will kill them in swing districts come mid term elections. What parent would want pedophile Moore sitting in the Senate and have access to interns?
You do realize this a thread not about Moore but about Franken, correct? I do understand your desire to change the subject. But, I'll use your comments above to bring things back on topic.

Are you in favor of leaving the matter of the open Senate seat for Alabama in the hands of the voters "and we should quit talking about it"?

Are you suggesting that the Senate and House Ethics committees are the only source for objective standards of behavior of their respective members? If so, what is Franken apologizing for? (Frankly, I think the question of what he's apologizing for is a good question, regardless of my prior question.)

The Senate and House seem to be in favor of the "tribal politics" that would keep Franken and Conyers in their respective seats. Is that wrong?
Old 11-27-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
You do realize this a thread not about Moore but about Franken, correct?
You do realize that everyone else here sees through your transparent attempts to deflect from your Dear Leader’s corruption, stupidity, farce, nastiness, illegal activities, etc, with these silly whatabout threads, correct?
Old 11-27-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
You do realize this a thread not about Moore but about Franken, correct?.

You started this thread asking should Franken resign, the answer was NO. After page 1, this thread has pretty much meandered through talking about gropers (as in Trump) and molesters (as in Moore).

Are you in favor of leaving the matter of the open Senate seat for Alabama in the hands of the voters "and we should quit talking about it"?

I have already said a few times that I hope Moore wins. What do you think?
And I will stop talking when Trump stops tweeting. Deal?

Are you suggesting that the Senate and House Ethics committees are the only source for objective standards of behavior of their respective members? If so, what is Franken apologizing for?

Yes, those bodies will question Franken and Conyers. And they will be under oath. I do not know why Franken is apologizing, take it up with his lawyer.

The Senate and House seem to be in favor of the "tribal politics" that would keep Franken and Conyers in their respective seats. Is that wrong?

Depends on what the findings are. If either are guilty of sexual harassment on the job, they need to be made to resign. As for Franken if his transgressions are before he became a Senator, then he should not be forced to resign. For whataboutism, Trump the Pussy Grabber needs to resign first.
Hope the above answers your question. Now please answer mine.
Should Moore be seated if he wins the election?
Old 11-27-2017, 06:04 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

An ode to Whell's whataboutism:

Call the CDC. Alert the surgeon general and put the National Institutes of Health on standby.

We’re having a severe outbreak of whataboutism.

In mild forms, the primary symptom is a vulnerability to false equivalencies. Virulent strains, such as the current one, can cause victims to lose all moral perspective.

After I wrote about the grotesque spectacle of President Trump and Kellyanne Conway throwing their support behind accused child molester Roy Moore in Alabama’s Senate race, Trump fans answered with a flurry of whatabouts:

What about Al Franken?

What about John Conyers?

What about Bill Clinton?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...879_story.html

Besides the obvious difference between pedophilia and ass-grabbing, Franken fessed up and apologized rather than resorting to wailing about "fake news."

Last edited by finnbow; 11-27-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:05 PM

From the link in #138
Quote:
But it shouldn’t be controversial to say that sexual misconduct is worse when it involves children. Until now, accusations of sexual abuse of children have been met with swift, severe and bipartisan responses. Recall the revulsion over Denny Hastert and Anthony Weiner, Mark Foley and David Wu. Predators aren’t solely Democrats or Republicans, liberals or conservatives. No partisan or ideological lens applies — only a human one.
WTF is wrong with these Republicans?
There is a right and a wrong and adults cannot treat children as adults, period no matter the temptation. Roy Moore is a pedophile and a borderline rapist. Equating him with Clinton, Franken or Conyers just does not cut it.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:23 AM

Bill Press: Religion flunks morality
Quote:
Consider. Last year there was a candidate for president, the highest office in the land. More than a dozen women, who gave their names, accused him of crimes ranging from sexual harassment to sexual assault to rape. That same candidate was even heard on tape bragging about forcibly kissing women and grabbing them by their genitals.
And what did our esteemed religious leaders do? Nothing. Most cowardly priests and pastors remained silent, refusing to take a stand. Even worse, some endorsed that candidate because, they said, nobody’s perfect. And, besides, he’s anti-abortion. Serial sexual predator Donald Trump is now president of the United States.
Quote:
Flash forward. This year there’s a sleazy candidate for U.S. Senate from Alabama. He’s also accused, by nine women, of sexual harassment and sexual assault, back when they were teenagers and he was a grown man. One of them even got him banned from his hometown shopping mall in Gadsden, Ala., for preying on teenage girls.

And what do our religious leaders say? It’s déjà vu, all over again. Some cowards refuse to take a stand: saying it’s up to the people of Alabama to decide. But dozens of others have actually backed Roy Moore, and twisted their phony brand of Christianity in order to somehow justify endorsing an accused pedophile.
Someone here feels the same.

http://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/...lunks-morality