Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
My post wasn't referring to marginal tax rates. I was referring to income tax rates.
I stand by my statement- I don't think you can find anyone actually paying 42% in taxes.

I found this article on what Americans actually pay:

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-pay-in-taxes/

"The main findings: The overall effective federal tax rate (the ratio of federal taxes to household income) was 20.7 percent in 2006, with the highest quintile of American households paying 25.8 percent of their income in federal taxes."

This is no where near 42% or even 35%. Those figures are, at best, misleading.

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 11-18-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
I stand by my statement- I don't think you can find anyone actually paying 42% in taxes.

I found this article on what Americans actually pay:

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-pay-in-taxes/

"The main findings: The overall effective federal tax rate (the ratio of federal taxes to household income) was 20.7 percent in 2006, with the highest quintile of American households paying 25.8 percent of their income in federal taxes."

This is no where near 42% or even 35%. Those figures are, at best, misleading.
We're addressing two separate subjects: marginal or effective rates (you) versus taxes on W-2 earnings (me). You suggest my numbers are misleading by posting something unrelated. Interesting debate strategy...

Last edited by whell; 11-18-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
We're addressing two separate subjects: marginal or effective rates (you) versus taxes on W-2 earnings (me). You suggest my numbers are misleading by posting something unrelated. Interesting debate strategy...
Quote:
A marginal tax rate is the tax rate that applies to the last dollar of the tax base (taxable income or spending)
Changing the definition midstream. Interesting debate tactic.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-18-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Changing the definition midstream. Interesting debate tactic.

Regards,

D-Ray
I know you're not suggesting here that taxable income is the same as W-2 income. "Taxable income" can be derived from a number of sources. W-2 income = wages. I was pretty clear about what I was referring to: W-2 income. Why try to make this into something its not?
Old 11-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
I know you're not suggesting here that taxable income is the same as W-2 income. "Taxable income" can be derived from a number of sources. W-2 income = wages. I was pretty clear about what I was referring to: W-2 income. Why try to make this into something its not?
What you are ignoring is that the high rate you identified does not apply to all W-2 wages. You are actually talking about the marginal rate - the rate that applies to all income above a particular amount. Tax is not being and will not be withheld at the 42.6% rate. The tax charts take account to what the average tax rate would be if the employee earned at a particular rate throughout the year. Say an employee with an annual salary of $520k, would have wages/salary at the rate of $10k per week. The charts would take into account that the first $50k will be taxed at 15%, between 50K and 70k will be taxed at 20% and between 70K and 250k will be taxed at 28% and above that will be taxed at 35% (Making up the dividing lines here, simply for demonstrative purposes) You would look at the first weekly check and see deductions at a rate lower than 35% and the last weekly check would make deductions at a the same rate (except that income over $111k will not be taxed for social security)

Whell, do you doubt that persons earning a salary above $250k are not paying the top rate on all of their earnings. You can't say that the tax rate for part of the income (the marginal rate) is the actual tax rate that will be paid on w-2 earnings. Taking this truth into account is not changing the issue - it's refusing to acknowledge the premise of your position.

Actually, looking at your numbers again, it is absolutely false that the tax rate that applies to income over $250k is 42.6%, because at that point the taxpayer is not paying FICA, thereby reducing the marginal rate at that point to 36.4%. Therefore, your premise is not only illogical, it is factually incorrect.

Regards,

D-Ray

Last edited by d-ray657; 11-18-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Okay, I'm trying here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but "marginal" tax rates refer to the higest level of tax you pay. We have a graduated taxation system and the marginal tax rate applies to the highest level of taxes you pay. It is a number, as I understand it, that is much higer than your average tax rate. Your average tax rate, again, as I understand it, refers to the percentage of tax you pay on all your income- that is, at all the rates that apply to you up to and including the portion of your income on which you pay the marginal rate.

So, no, I have no idea what you mean when you simply say "taxes on W-2 earnings". That doesn't say anything. Do you mean averge tax rate? If so, you're making your case worse as I'm reasonably certain that your 44% fiugre is speaking to a marginal rate. No way anyone is paying 44% on ALL their W-2 earnings.

Try this:

http://www.dinkytown.net/java/TaxMargin.html

If you are single, no dependents and make $1M a year (pretty sure that's none of us) you *still* only pay 32.4% average tax rate on W-2 income, putting nothing in an IRA, nothing in a 401k and with NO DEDUCTIONS AT ALL. I can't figure out a way to make more of a "worst case scenario" as I'm almost sure that would be virtually no one in the United States.

So, yes, please tell me where I'm doing anything but giving you the most favorable counter to your argument. If you are talking about average tax rates your figures are even MORE misleading than I made them out to be.

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 11-18-2010 at 12:59 PM.